Whats the verdict on milk?

If you can handle lactose then drink milk. If you can't then don't. Simple as that really.

There's hardly any lactose in 1%, skim, and lactose free.
Lactose free has a lot more sugar than 1% & 2% combined.
Skim has more water than 1%

The right balance is 1% and I hate the amount of lactose in milk.

This thread is brilliant.

Getting serious for a minute, I drink fresh raw goat's milk from time to time, from a friend who has dairy goats and makes cheeses (the chevre cheese is excellent, btw) and it's not bad so long as you drink it fresh. The heavy taste only comes in after a day or two in the fridge.

I always use raw cow's milk rather than the stuff in the stores, people argue both sides a lot about whether it's more healthy or not worth the trouble but I drink it for the simple reason it's just... better.

I'd wager there are at least a few vegan criminals, out there somewhere, who never drank milk.

Very unlikely, with that scenario, it would mean that these individuals never had breast milk in their toddler years.

Very unlikely, with that scenario, it would mean that these individuals never had breast milk in their toddler years.

Maybe they subsisted through osmosis...

Almond milk is one of the worst tasting substances known to planet earth.

Ran out reg milk and had to resort to throwing almond in my coffee... instantaneously throw up

LONG LIVE 2%, WHAT WHAAAT

Not sure if serious.

I like almond milk and I LOVE it on coffee. Creamy and nuttiness to your coffee? Yes, please.

Anytime someone, anyone states a food is not good for reason X, I always question it. You know hiw many times official agencies told us eggs were bad, then good, then bad, etc? Just recently, I have heard many pushing towards skim and low fat milk.

Ya know, people were MUCH healthier decades ago, and they ate cheese, butter, whole milk all the time. They were more active, as a people, then we are today, and that's the key factor.

Drink whole milk. It's a great source of nutrition. I drink a few glasses per day with my protein shakes. Been drinking lots of milk my whole life.

-T

Anytime someone, anyone states a food is not good for reason X, I always question it. You know hiw many times official agencies told us eggs were bad, then good, then bad, etc? Just recently, I have heard many pushing towards skim and low fat milk.

Ya know, people were MUCH healthier decades ago, and they ate cheese, butter, whole milk all the time. They were more active, as a people, then we are today, and that's the key factor.

Drink whole milk. It's a great source of nutrition. I drink a few glasses per day with my protein shakes. Been drinking lots of milk my whole life.

-T
I agree and also the quality of the foods more than foods themselves.

Milk is fine. As for the claim that it contains Bovine Hormones, well it does; Bovine Somaotroptin (BST) to be exact. However, it's completely inert. I stole this from a cool article online, which sums it up.

http://scienceblogs.com/aetiology/2012/06/19/growth-hormones-in-milk-mythfact/
There is no data to suggest that BST present in milk can survive digestion or produce unique peptide fragments that might have biological effects. Even if BST is absorbed intact, the growth hormone receptors in the human do not recognize cow BST and, therefore, BST cannot produce effects in humans. Oral toxicity studies in rats show that rbGH is not orally active in rats which mean it cannot be absorbed into the system via digestion. Overall studies show recombinant growth hormone cannot be absorbed intact through intestine and even if small amounts get absorbed, there is no receptor for bovine growth hormones in Humans.

Others may claim that milk boosts IGF-1, which has been linked to cancer. It does...However (again, I'll refer to this article)

Firstly, the amount of IGF-1 consumed daily from milk products is minute compared to natural endogenous production in Human body. Secondly, IGF-1 cannot be absorbed through stomach or intestine (won’t be able to escape proteolysis during intestinal passage) and even if small amounts were absorbed by the intestine and passed to circulation, it will contribute less than 0.06% of total daily IGF-1 production. IGF-1 is not denatured by pasteurization, so consumption of milk from rBST treated dairy cows will increase the daily oral intake of IGF-1, but serum levels will not be affected due to the denaturing effect within the stomach and intestine.

I don't usually use articles and prefer to quote studies, but this one was well written and actually cites its sources.

Milk actually has some good nutrients in them. I still drink milk, I make my eggs with it and my protein shakes and I still lost fat and made some incredible gains. Its the other things in your diet that can add more to the fat gaining side than muscle. I don't eat grains, our body can't digest them. Its one of those things that hold you back as it is slower to digest of it digest. When I eliminated starch and grains I made from for small additions like milk.

I feel like its important to have. I've made gains solely off dedication but milk can honestly help more than it can hurt

Milk only helps your bones if you drink it like 15 years during your childhood. A few years of milk drinking is not going to affect your bones, although there is evidence that it actually pulls calcium out of your bones. However, about a month ago i changed completely to soja milk, and am a happy bunny. Haven't noticed any changes yet apart my stomach is easier.

Ive read alot about RAW milk. It is delicious but I have not consumed it for a long enough period of time to reap the benefits. Only small amounts from friends who drink it regularly. Most people who have trouble digesting lactose CAN consume raw milk in some form. It is not pasteurized and contains the proper enzymes to help digestion. It is a very calming food and is supposedly amazing for adding weight..

I whole heartedly believe that pasteurizing things destroys alot of the nutritional benefits.
Especially milk and juices. Raw is the way milk was consumed for thousands and thousands of years. Research the massai people.

you can look to find raw milk from local farms or if you live in certain states they may offer it
at health food stores. Just make sure its from a good source and is from grass fed cows.
Preferably jersey cows... Also Goats milk is available in places and is highly praised.

Google information about raw milk.

Raw milk and raw eggs are two of the best things i have in my house.

Raw milk and raw eggs are two of the best things i have in my house.

Definitely! I dont eat raw eggs at the moment but I should start again! Another thing that is supposedly incredibly easy to digest.

I didnt mean to make my post sound like you have to fear regular milk from the store. Or sound like a hippy lol..

You can fight articles both ways but there are just so many claims from healthy individuals who preach the benefits of raw milk. You can find organic hormone free milk Im sure but Im still under the assumption that raw milk is much easier to digest because of all the healthy bacteria and enzymes in it.. And in my opinion the best way to confirm information is through testimonials from healthy people and your own self experience.

Just make sure you have a reliable source for things you eat raw. You can usually go to the farm and check out the animals and the conditions they live in

These guys are a little hipster and new agey for me.. but nathaniel has been consuming raw milk for a good while and says it is the main reason he went from 150 lbs to 210 lbs.

Someone mentioned this in another thread and it was something to this extent and I quote " Milk is mother natures mass gainer. Babies drink it for a reason."
I say go for it.

Babies are fat though. I think it is good for bulking. Unfortunately with my schedule, I have to eat cereal a lot of the time for breakfast.

Recently cut milk out of my diet (outside the slim amount in half & half). Was wondering why my stomach was constantly upset, usually following drinking coffee or throwing down one of my pb&j.

Switched to half & half instead of straight up milk, holy shit this shit turned my coffee to some bomb ass substance.

At this point, knew it was either the milk or peanut butter that was fucking me up come night time.. Was scared beyond belief, since I eat more pb&j then anyone on planet earth. Started having a shake with the sandwich instead milk and poooooof all my problems vanished into thin air.

Wonder when exactly did milk decide to be a major asshole..perhaps she always has been

Back