What's the point of GSP-Silva? No matter who wins, the other side will say it means nothing.

Conor isn't a hero for going up to his natural weight class. Hardly the same as people expecting a mid sized 170 pounder to go fight huge mws.

Two division champ versus guy that played it safe. Many feel he lost to pre usada hendricks.

What? By "other way to do things" GSP could be referring to a catchweight, a non-title fight, Anderson dropping to 170... hell, even a grappling match or something completely unexpected. He's not alluding to some grand scheme to wait out Anderson's prime years.

Kenflo asked about the fight. And I quote, "too much to lose." Dude basically broke into cold sweats about a Silva fight. Note the stuttering in the post fight interview. Best WW no doubt but I cringe when he talks about MW now. He wanted no part before during a Silva reign. Tapped to strikes. Silva wouldnt allow for such pleasantries.

There's no point. If GSP comes back he shouldn't be wasting his time with that fraud

GSP wins : "Silva is old and out of his prime! The fight doesn't mean anything."
Silva wins : "GSP had been retired for 4 years and he is smaller! The fight doesn't mean anything."

We all know that's what will happen. So if everyone already agrees that the fight means nothing, what's the point of having it?

If a fight means nothing when your guy loses, it should also mean nothing when your guy wins.

EDIT: I know it will make money for the UFC. I meant what's the point for us fans? This fight doesn't mean what it would have meant 8 years ago, but we hang to it when there's probably more meaningful fights for both of them.
Because there exists actual fan that arent involved in that nonsense

Two division champ versus guy that played it safe. Many feel he lost to pre usada hendricks.

Oh no he had one controversial decision in his entire career. Hendricks himself has multiple controversial split decisions people think he lost.

Being a two division champion isn't as impressive when they just hand out title shots. He still has zero defenses at any weight class, and they rushed him into the fight with Alvarez, who is a stylistic softball, after one unconvincing 48-47 win over Diaz at lw.

GSP still has a far more impressive legacy and it isn't even close.

If you don't want to see GSP vs Anderson even past the "use by date", you're not a MMA fan. Go watch golf.

Best vs. used to be best (Anderson) in a 3 fight series would be good.

Oh no he had one controversial decision in his entire career. Hendricks himself has multiple controversial split decisions people think he lost.

Being a two division champion isn't as impressive when they just hand out title shots. He still has zero defenses at any weight class, and they rushed him into the fight with Alvarez, who is a stylistic softball, after one unconvincing 48-47 win over Diaz at lw.

GSP still has a far more impressive legacy and it isn't even close.

GSP was offered it. I linked him turning it down. He broke out into cold sweat the sec any mention of a Silva fight. It was never the warrior mentality. It was always play it safe.

Tapping to strikes for instance.

Diaz was gifted that fight, a fight that Mcg took short notice because another Brazilian backed out last minute. If Mcg pulled a JJ, he turns the fight down. Regardless, Diaz was +325, a bet i took. Love catch Vegas betting odds getting it wrong.

As for Hendricks, I agree, as I had Condit winning that fight.

There's no point. If GSP comes back he shouldn't be wasting his time with that fraud

A fraud he ducked and back pedals each time such a fight was offered? Lets not forget GPS (yes, GPS where the f are you) disappeared after USADA. Hendricks did too lol

What a strange motivation.

Majority of Sherdoggers are unabashed disrespectful fighter fan bois. Who cares what this echo chamber of dummies concludes?

There will always be an excuse for a fighter any time he/she loses. That's how it's always been that's how it will always be, nothing new.

Having said that GSP vs Anderson Silva is more intriguing now then ever before. Before it was quite obvious that Silva would have dismantled GSP, but after the first Chael fight and a few losses it looks like GSP might have a chance.

I never really got the appeal of this fight.
Silva and GSP are just too different in size. Theres a better case for super fights when there's just a 10 lb difference between weight classes, but 170 to 185 is just too big a jump. There aren't a bunch of 170ers that would do well at 185. There aren't a lot of 155ers that would do well at 170.
GSP wasn't a huge WW that cut a lot of weight.
Weight classes exist for a reason. Turning down a fight with a bigger guy doesn't make you a "ducker". Ive trained and am not scared of WB, but there's no way Id fight him. Admitting that he'd kick my ass doesn't mean Im scared. There is literally no upside for me taking a fight i cant win.

GSP was offered it. I linked him turning it down. He broke out into cold sweat the sec any mention of a Silva fight. It was never the warrior mentality. It was always play it safe.

Tapping to strikes for instance.

Diaz was gifted that fight, a fight that Mcg took short notice because another Brazilian backed out last minute. If Mcg pulled a JJ, he turns the fight down. Regardless, Diaz was +325, a bet i took. Love catch Vegas betting odds getting it wrong.

As for Hendricks, I agree, as I had Condit winning that fight.

Hating on fighters for tapping to strikes is absurd. Some of the toughest fighters of all time have tapped to strikes. If anything tapping to a choke is worse than tapping to strikes. Strikes do permanent damage, if you can't defend yoursef anymore you might as well tap. FFS Shogun tapped to strikes.

Lets not act like going up ten pounds, when you're already a huge fw, to fight Eddie Alvarez is the same thing as going up to fight Anderson Silva. Alvarez is an average sized lw. Silva is a huge mw. Alvarez is an easy style match up for Conor, and a somewhat inconsistent and one dimensional fighter. Silva is the best MW of all time.

Just because both situations involve going up in weight doesn't mean they're equal. Silva took lhw fights, but never fought Jones, Shogun, Machida, Rashad, etc. He wanted no part of a title fight at LHW, he fought nothing but easy style matchups there.

A fraud he ducked and back pedals each time such a fight was offered? Lets not forget GPS (yes, GPS where the f are you) disappeared after USADA. Hendricks did too lol

Again people say this, but it' objectively wrong. He quit TWO YEARS before usada showed up. After he'd been talking about retirement for a while. Also after he had an acl surgery, and came back noticeably slower and STILL defended three more times.

All this talk that he just retired for no reason and was still l in his prime is false. Nine title defenses, the ww record, and avenged all losses. Yet he's ducking because he didn't come back and fight Hendricks again. If he had he'd be ducking if he left before fighting Woodley, Condit II, Maia, Wonderboy, Magny, etc. It never ends. He defended nine times.

GOAT vs GOAT

Literally a dream fight that can happen. A true super fight.

AS didn't look too small against any of the 205'ers he fought. Think about that.

How would George's look standing next to Forest?

He has trained with MW and LHW fighters so in sure he knows how the size difference will play.

A fraud who got busted for multiple PED's and went almost 5 years winless until getting a gift decision over an average MW.

Only hardcores will say that. Casuals will just appreciate the starpower.

Back