What's the point of GSP-Silva? No matter who wins, the other side will say it means nothing.

leolozon

Green Belt
@Green
Reaction score
GSP wins : "Silva is old and out of his prime! The fight doesn't mean anything."
Silva wins : "GSP had been retired for 4 years and he is smaller! The fight doesn't mean anything."

We all know that's what will happen. So if everyone already agrees that the fight means nothing, what's the point of having it?

If a fight means nothing when your guy loses, it should also mean nothing when your guy wins.

EDIT: I know it will make money for the UFC. I meant what's the point for us fans? This fight doesn't mean what it would have meant 8 years ago, but we hang to it when there's probably more meaningful fights for both of them.

Last edited:
Their both the GOAT of their divisions. When would we ever get to see that happen again...

Because we never recovered from our blue balls to when it fell through before.

I'd still happily watch Rick's ones Saku or Randy vs Fedor, old as they are.

2 big names = money
Does not have to make any sense, really

at this point is nothing, the thing was when both were the top dogs in their divitions

Ye, the fight is meaningless now. Silva is a standup fighter turned 41. Wrestlers can go on for that long but not strikers.

More snow for Dana's driveway.

4DVcEqq.jpg

GSP wins : "Silva is old and out of his prime! The fight doesn't mean anything."
Silva wins : "GSP had been retired for 4 years and he is smaller! The fight doesn't mean anything."

We all know that's what will happen. So if everyone already agrees that the fight means nothing, what's the point of having it?
That argument could be made for any fighter, but the fact is any win over a goat is a big win regardless if they're in their prime or not. Big name wins make legends better

Its the only fight big enough to keep GSP from going for a belt other than Conor at WW. I want Conor to defend against Ferg/khabib, Bisping/Romero, and maia vs woodley/wonderboy

That leaves GSP vs Silva

Ye, the fight is meaningless now. Silva is a standup fighter turned 41. Wrestlers can go on for that long but not strikers.
Well, some can. Schilt, Crocop and some boxers. Anderson was pretty speed dependent even for a striker though...

Their both the GOAT of their divisions. When would we ever get to see that happen again...

As meaningless as Chuck vs Wand.
Both were way past it. Wand was coming off 2 brutal KO's in a row.

This would be the same.
Both guys have lost several steps.

The people rooting for the guy who wins will be happy. Just as in any other fight. Neither guy is super relevant right now and has less to lose than before. The excuses you listed are actually reasons they should fight. Neither legacy will be affected.

I think it is the best option for a GSP fight. McGregor at LW being second best.

Georges St-Pierre Scared of Anderson

"Maybe there is other ways to do things." As in, wait for him to lose, then consider coming up to the weight class.

Do not want. BTW I never made the title of the youtube video. Just came across it.

KenFlo asked him i believe after a post fight interview. He said "too much to lose." Dude ducked Silva and wanted no part of that fight.

Biggest difference between Mcg and GSP. One is a bad ass. The other played it safe.

"Maybe there is other ways to do things." As in, wait for him to lose, then consider coming up to the weight class.

Do not want. BTW I never made the title of the youtube video. Just came across it.

KenFlo asked him i believe after a post fight interview. He said "too much to lose." Dude ducked Silva and wanted no part of that fight.

Biggest difference between Mcg and GSP. One is a bad ass. The other played it safe.

Conor isn't a hero for going up to his natural weight class. Hardly the same as people expecting a mid sized 170 pounder to go fight huge mws.

What? By "other way to do things" GSP could be referring to a catchweight, a non-title fight, Anderson dropping to 170... hell, even a grappling match or something completely unexpected. He's not alluding to some grand scheme to wait out Anderson's prime years.

Back