What's the logic behind a fighter losing in a weight class, then stepping up to higher weight class?

Randy became the HW champ after losing to Chuck

Weaker competition first off. Also The fighters at your underground dojo should definitely understand how weight cutting effects athletic performance. And as for the chin, it’s not the heavier weight that makes the chin better, it’s the hydration around the brain or something like that. I believe it’s been demonstrated that dehydration makes you more prone to being knocked unconscious.
Lol one punch from shogun and luke wud be dieded

Only if you're a pussy.

It doesn't have much affect on peoples chins, for reals. I've seen it first hand.
With out IVs its not possible to fully hydrate back to 100% after a brutal weight cut. These guys are putting a lot of weight back on after weighing in but not 100% of their water weight. That absolutely can affect your chin.

I can't find that anywhere in the rules of fight club. Different dojo?

Or BJ Penn whose all over the spectrum and fought in five different weight classes with varying levels of success (Hughes, GSP, Rodrigo Gracie, Lyoto Machida, Jon Fitch, Nick Diaz, Rory MacDonald).
The only win BJ has in the UFC that isn't at lightweight is Hughes. There was no variation in his success outside lightweight. He could only win against Hughes.

The only win BJ has in the UFC that isn't at lightweight is Hughes. There was no variation in his success outside lightweight. He could only win against Hughes.
He defeated Rodrigo and Hughes, and had a draw with Fitch who was the #2 ranked Welterweight in the world at the time. And I did specify that Penn was "all over the spectrum".

whats the logic in starting a thread on sherdog when you are a fucking idiot that doesn't comprehend the problems with cutting a lot of weight?

Hey you watch yourself! No personal attacks are allowed. Forum rules.

Don't apologize, just acknowledge and don't even think about trying it again. I will not hesitate for a second to report you to moderation on a second offense.

Last edited:
This is obviously referring to Luke Rockhold.

He can't take the shots at 185, even when getting hit by a fighter known for being somewhat pillow-fisted like Bisping, but thinks he can step up a weight class and take shots from fighters that hit even harder.

And yes, the bigger they are the heavier they hit. And no, being heavier doesn't mean having a better chin.

I don't understand. It goes against everything I train at my underground dojo.

Bisping's hands are underrated. He dropped Silva and Rockhold.

i rather go into fight relatively healthy and get koed than starve n drain myself and still get koed...thats where luke is in his career right now.do wat RDA did n see how u go

Rumble, RDA, Whitaker all moved up and are doing fine. Luke is not a small guy. The cut to MW for him must be brutal. He's not getting younger and hes mostly muscle at 185. He has no fat to spare like DC. So a move to LHW may do him some good. Who knows. Dc is going to retire soon.

You're faster than you're peers, as long as the additional weight isnt cumbersome to your frame.

Strikers benefit from going up in weight when they get old, and have almost never benefitted from going down in weight as they started to fade physically. Older = worse reflexes. NB: You want slower opponents.

Weight cut is so painful they’d rather take shots against heavier opponents.

Possibly rough weight cuts, as fighters never truly belonged in the lighter weight class (Rumble); fighters getting older.

Ideally he would be more comfortable and faster

Or Frankie Edgar who preferred fighting bigger opponents at Lightweight so he didn't have to cut weight.
Or RDA who was fainting the night before his fight against Alvarez, moved up to Welterweight and is looking sensational thus far (looked awesome against Lawler).
Or Randy Couture who got knocked out against Liddell, retired, then came back and won the Heavyweight title off Sylvia.
Or BJ Penn whose all over the spectrum and fought in five different weight classes with varying levels of success (Hughes, GSP, Rodrigo Gracie, Lyoto Machida, Jon Fitch, Nick Diaz, Rory MacDonald).
BJ has literally fought from FW to HW. Insane.

Increase in endurance and speed, and a less of a focus on draining self. There is a trade off in power, but it's worth a shot.

He defeated Rodrigo and Hughes, and had a draw with Fitch who was the #2 ranked Welterweight in the world at the time. And I did specify that Penn was "all over the spectrum".
The Rodrigo fight wasn't in the UFC, and a draw isn't a win, therefor...

Back