Whats the Best Striking Martial Arts?

im going with boxing. you just have to modify it to work in MMA. but theres MT, kickboxing, and many more. just whatever you can use the best.

MT + Boxing.

The only caveat is when you get really good in boxing, you are in a lot of danger of breaking your hand in a streetfight, b/c you are generating a ton of force that your hand will not hold up to w/o padding. The quick solution is to use palm strikes instead of fist.

Just forget about the bullshit with fucking eye gouging and ball kicks and that shit. Ya don't need to got to a school to perfect that and it's not effective.

Do Boxing if ya like to get good hands, movement and skills to avoid with weaving/bobbing head movement all that.

If ya wanna kick 'n clinch, slip in 'n out, leg kicks.. do muay thai, it'll teach you how to spar with great power, and it's hella cardio intensitive.

Wanna combine both in minus the clinch do kickboxin'.

Forget everything else, it is less effective no matter who tells you it is good, just forget it.

As of now, I'am aimng for kyokushin but I strongly believe that it is the fighter not the style.

Steroids have proven time and again to be the best compliment to ANY art of combat

well the number one country for fighters in asia isnt thailand its the philippines and they usualy train in western boxing and taekwondo! there known for having the best fighter now adays.they beat mexico in a head to head contest this summer in boxing and they have some may argue this with me but the number 1 pound per guy in the world manny pacquaio the real mexican destroyer knocking out morales twice beating and knocking out barrera twice and having a real controvery draw with marquez who he knocked down 3 times in one round! muay thai might be the fad right now but go to the philippines and you will see the toughest of the toughest people in the world living in absolute poverty not knowing where there next meal is comming from thats why they are so tough if they lose the fight they may not get another one they have 100% motivation to fight or die trying to win, because it really is life or dealth to them 1 losing is not an option!!!!!!!

I really liked Tang Soo Do, which I took in the 7th and 8th grades. It teaches you to
a) sit down in your base
b) twist/use your hips fully
c) relaxation
d) extension
e) power

I have a ton of power in my strikes and I believe it largely in part to that training of Tang Soo do. The biggest weaknesses of the art is:
a) not enough full contact sparring
b) no leg kicks
c) no hook punching (western style boxing). All straight punches (although it teaches you to do powerful relaxed and fully extend on the straight punches.)

But I would say you need western boxing and Muay Thai. Boxing is important because hands are so important and no art touches boxing when it comes to hands. Muay thai is great because all the muay thai strikes are strikes that work very well in actual combat and it uses all the weapons: hands, feet, knees, and elbows. I would learn Muay Thai first because you put more weight on your back leg in Muay Thai than boxing. Then when you learn boxing, you'll already be used to the correct stance. If you learn boxing first, you will be in the habit of putting weight on your front leg, and have to break that habit when learning Muay Thai.

i like muay thai... i did boxing for a while but i like the elbows/knees and the clinch can be a huge advantage

to each his own tho

In concept, muay thai would be the best choice since you strike with basically every part of your damn body.

But pure muay thai seems to be more focused on kicks and knees... and if you're just throwing a lot of knees or kicks in a street fight or hell even an MMA fight, you're probably going to get taken down and hurt very badly.

Dutch style muay thai/kickboxing seems to keep things pretty even between boxing and kicking. I'm not an expert on either styles, it's just what I've observed from all the fights I've seen dealing with each style.

Whilst I have never studied either, I am impressed with techniques in Kali and also Muay Thai.

Krav Maga and JKD are useful on the street too.

Well to be honest when you say MMA and Street Fighting those are two completely different things. In the ring/gym you are not trying to hurt your opponent unless you are a blatant Ahole, in the street you are trying to survive aka kill or be killed.

But over all Muay Thai is the main striking game of any MM Artist.

For the street if you can learn some Military Krav Maga it may be ideal, but once again there is no honor in the street. Although I do recommend, just because I find it hilarious and I respect him, Bas Ruttens street fighting. look it up on you tube.

Back