Whats the Best Striking Martial Arts?

Kyokushin if you could hit people in the face. Really, Kyokushin should just wear MMA gloves in competition.

Muay Thai is the best knee and leg strikes. I don't see it as a particularly good for hand strikes and I don't dig on standing elbows that much.

Boxing has fantastic punches, obviously, but you have to change a lot for MMA regarding stances and body movement.

Savate is under fucking appreciated as a kicking art. I say a pure Savateur will beat a pure Muay Thai practitioner in kicking only (I don't think Savate has a lot/any knee strikes though).

Ninjutsu actually is pretty awesome if you could be taught pure striking in ninjutsu and no weapons. MMA doesn't use weapons, so no point in training in them.

Kenpo works for Chuck Liddel.

i like muay thai, but if you can't find someone to teach you that then...:

i recommend buying bas rutten's street defense dvd's. guarantee you'll woop up on everyone anywhere.

or buy a gun and shoot people that pick fights with you, that'll shut em up.

or..... hire a posse to follow you around and beat the shit out of anyone that beats you up.

Or find a posse to beat up on...er :D

i think alot of it depends on the person and there fighting style. Chuck liddell, Nog bros, Nick and Nate diaz, Pulver, Gomi and tons of others are primarily boxers (occasional kicks). Then you mauy thai guys like anderson and wanderlai silva and kick boxers like cro-cop. All of these are great styles when adapted to mixed martial arts. I do think that the 8 point striking of thai boxing gives those guys alot of advantages when facing other very good strikers though (silva franklin).
what i'm starting to see is something new all together that i think will be like a hybrid style of striking that is mma's own. Gsp (while not the best striker ive ever seen) is starting to show a style of striking that isn't specific to any matrial art (flying superman punches, lead leg low and high kicks, mixing up all kinds of stuff) I think that type of striking is the future of the sport.

Pankration Becausee It Combines Kickboxing And Greco Roman Wrestling

I used to think Tae Kwon Do was crap because of all the Mickey Mouse tag practitioners I'd met when I lived in New York. Yeah; then I met a Korean dude in school who learned the full contact version in his home country. One tough dude. I learned to quickly respect that style.

Like many others said, any style that includes full contact as part of the training is a canditate. I'd go one further and say visit as many different schools as you can and watch their classes. One style does not fit all, and you're better off doing one that will work best for you.

american kenpo has elements of boxing hand work and foot work uses some of the same princables as kick boxing/muy thai with the kness and elbows. works for the street cause the eye and joint shots. but like stated before u got to hit and get hit
at the school i go to theirs two things that are gonna happen your gonna get hit and its gonna hurt
and a martial art is only as good as the person.
gene lebell does judo but i dont know many people that would want to mess wit him in his younger days

There really is no best style. What you want to do is take some from each style, and incorporate it into your game. Cause the more well rounded striker you are the more you'll be able to adapt to anybodies style and find openings.

I would say Muay Thai because you have more options to use, as opposed to boxing where it punches and only punches

Muay thai and boxing is a pretty good match in my opinion. I have tried a little of boxing, some muay thai, and now I am currently taking Kyokushin. I preferred taking Muay thai. I think I'll switch over to a MT place after a couple of months at the Kyokushin place, it's just not my style.

Back