What's the best stand up martial art?

If they dont use the teep like a jab, have no clinch or elbows.....its not muay thai.

They do, just not as much.

An elbow is a punch that you do when your opponent is too close to punch and a knee is a kick you do when you're too close to kick, that's about it. lol

We don't do the clinch, which is great for me. I'm mainly into punishing people who try to clinch me, breaking their clinch or throw them to the ground from the clinch. I learned that somewhere else and never found it that complicated.

I never seek to clinch, only to counter it. My goal is to stay at range, we use the tiip but I also like side kicks, TKD kicks, etc.

Last edited:
They do, just not as much.

An elbow is a punch that you do when your opponent is too close to punch and a knee is a kick you do when you're too close to kick, that's about it. lol

We don't do the clinch, which is great for me. I'm mainly into punishing people who try to clinch me, breaking their clinch or throw them to the ground from the clinch. I learned that somewhere else and never found it that complicated.

I never seek to clinch, only to counter it. My goal is to stay at range, we use the tiip but I also like side kicks, TKD kicks, etc.
Oh so youre dutch? Thats cool. I wouldnt call it muay thai because its a very specific style. Sounds like you are doing kickboxing. I did tang soo do so i like to use the side kick and spinning back kick aswell. My favorite tsd or karate kick is the front kick with the toe.

Oh so youre dutch? Thats cool. I wouldnt call it muay thai because its a very specific style. Sounds like you are doing kickboxing. I did tang soo do so i like to use the side kick and spinning back kick aswell. My favorite tsd or karate kick is the front kick with the toe.

Yes, it's Dutch. Maybe it's an offshoot but train and compete in Muay Thai rules.

Kudo is total crap. It's really bad and on some level you already know this.

The grappling is bad, the boxing is bad, the kicking is bad. Everyone who got their training from Kudo sucks.

I guess it's an interesting way for weeboos to access their masculine side.

I really don't understand people who slag off effective martial arts just because it's not what they train in. Kudo is not 'total crap', nor is Kyokushin. You're talking like you'd beat anyone from those styles, while realistically there are hundreds of Kudo and Kyokushin fighters out there that would finish you.

What's ironical is that from what you're describing you're training some form of Dutch Kickboxing. Dutch Kickboxing is a style created originally from a blend of Kyokushin and Boxing by guys like Thom Harinck (Chakuriki gym) and Jan Plas (Mejiro gym) who were all trained in Kyokushin. The style was then later further improved by adding Muay Thai training methods and techniques to it, but its roots are clearly Kyokushin + Boxing.

At the end of the day it's a lot more about the instructor and the practitioner than it is the art.

How about respecting all effective full contact martial arts that produce good fighters?

ps: as we're talking about kudo, @Azam

Last edited:
Kudo is total crap. It's really bad and on some level you already know this.

The grappling is bad, the boxing is bad, the kicking is bad. Everyone who got their training from Kudo sucks.

I guess it's an interesting way for weeboos to access their masculine side.
Than go fight Kato, LOL! Bet u r too pussy to right?

Not saying it's the best but it is well rounded for MMA application.

I really don't understand people who slag off effective martial arts just because it's not what they train in. Kudo is not 'total crap', nor is Kyokushin. You're talking like you'd beat anyone from those styles, while realistically there are hundreds of Kudo and Kyokushin fighters out there that would finish you.

What's ironical is that from what you're describing you're training some form of Dutch Kickboxing. Dutch Kickboxing is a style created originally from a blend of Kyokushin and Boxing by guys like Thom Harinck (Chakuriki gym) and Jan Plas (Mejiro gym) who were all trained in Kyokushin. The style was then later further improved by adding Muay Thai training methods and techniques to it, but its roots are clearly Kyokushin + Boxing.

At the end of the day it's a lot more about the instructor and the practitioner than it is the art.

How about respecting all effective full contact martial arts that produce good fighters?

ps: as we're talking about kudo, @Azam
Much more eloquent than my response, LOL!

But then again I'm kinda a gutter rat, haha!

Good points!

Actually, Machida karate is the purest form of karate, handed down from generation to generation. The funny part is this is actually true.

FYI, Machida Karate might be pure, but what Lyoto does in the cage is a lot more than just his karate.

He's gone to Thailand to train MuayThai there.

FYI, Machida Karate might be pure, but what Lyoto does in the cage is a lot more than just his karate.

He's gone to Thailand to train MuayThai there.
apparently he was mostly sick and had the runs there. anyway a couple months isnt much anyway. Up until he won the belt his standup was pretty much shotokan.

Kick boxing was my first real style but let's be honest, MT is real kickboxing. Kickboxing also is a sport and can have different kicking styles, the best of which are from MT imho. The best thing about kick boxing is the increased focus on boxing vs MT and learning how to use punches to set up kicks and vice versa.

So MT and boxing are the best for MMA, kick boxing can give you a bit of both. Other styles can add some spice.

I like muay thai, but I don't get why the clinch is considered dangerous outside of muay thai rules. Is it that difficult to throw a person who has you in a muay thai clinch, and if so why?

I like muay thai, but I don't get why the clinch is considered dangerous outside of muay thai rules. Is it that difficult to throw a person who has you in a muay thai clinch, and if so why?
yeah i had a friend who did bagua and sanda spar with my muay thai team mates. when he started the behind the leg trips my kru stopped that right quick

If you have a grappling background in greco it'll be a bit easier as they're dealing with the clinch daily as well, but like anything that's new and foreign to you, it'll throw you off a bit at first. Usually its get striked at different angles that screws with you, if you're not used to getting hit, even light blows shocks you. Then there's the piviots, turns, etc.

yeah i had a friend who did bagua and sanda spar with my muay thai team mates. when he started the behind the leg trips my kru stopped that right quick
That can happen in judo or grappling too but I think even in kickboxing you should be taught to fall well.

What if you´re skinny ...
Kick boxing was my first real style but let's be honest, MT is real kickboxing. Kickboxing also is a sport and can have different kicking styles, the best of which are from MT imho. The best thing about kick boxing is the increased focus on boxing vs MT and learning how to use punches to set up kicks and vice versa.

So MT and boxing are the best for MMA, kick boxing can give you a bit of both. Other styles can add some spice.
Not true, yoga fire was your first style XD

What if you´re skinny ...

Then its time to get to work

18867028012.jpg

yougonnafinishthat.jpg

Then its time to get to work

18867028012.jpg

yougonnafinishthat.jpg
I am the same build the sumo in the right but with more arms and a little bibt more of traps xD, seems like a good diet.

Grapplers should not have too much difficulty taking down someone who's clinching them.

In 1964 when some Kyokushin guys (who were also trained in Judo from their teenage years) went to fight some Muay Thai fighters in Thailand (the famous 1964 challenge). Every time they got in the clinch they simply took them down / threw them around. They won 2 of the 3 fights.

Basically a striker who doesn't train grappling or clinching will get clinch-fucked and not know what to do against a good clincher. But someone who's also trained in grappling such as judo or wrestling for example will not have a problem taking down or throwing around their opponent when they get clinched.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gladiator47
Back