What's Stipe's Gameplan?

I think it's pretty obvious.

-Beat him technically (box'em up)
-Don't brawl.
-Don't get tagged.
-Wear him down so his power dwindles over time.
-Clinch against the cage, make Francis use his power to get the space he wants.

Do what Cormier did to Rumble. Cormier drafted the blueprint of how to fight a big, athletic dude with freakish power.

Stipe vs. Ngannou is the HW match we've been waiting for. So how does the smaller Champ tackle this big challenger? Does he circle away from the power hand, land potshots on the outside and the occasional combination when it opens up, and work for a decision? Will he try to take Francis down and do some ground n' pound? Is it wise to go for a submission? Something straightforward but unexpected like a quick armbar or kimura?
I think a lot of folks are underrating Stipe right now because Francis is the new commodity and a KO artist. Let's not forget the Champ is quickly approaching HW Goat territory with an unmatched 3 title defenses - if he wins this one. He ain't flashy, he's not the biggest, or the biggest talker, but damn it that's why I like him! A humble Champion has earned his respect, and I think he'll pull out a victory here against what is obviously a very hard hitter.
Francis has yet to really be challenged. We don't know what all he's capable of. However, that also means his weaknesses have yet to be exposed. How's his ground game? His cardio? He won't be able to hide those potential inadequacies at this high level. And I have a feeling the likes of Fabricio Werdum could submit him. What you think, Sherbros?
Fight from distance, when Ngannou tires, go for the takedown. If Ngannou chases him look for the opening and bang aka Werdum. Stipe will win.

The Jab is the key, imo. Use it to prevent Francis to get his big shots off, control the distance and be ready with the right hook when the opportunity presents itself. I think Stipe is going to be patient and composed and try to make Francis makes mistakes - I don't think he'll risk wasting a bunch of energy trying to get the takedown, but I could be wrong.

Sure it's to stretch it to the fourth round and then strike & finish with G&P

I think the most correct strategy will be to mix it up.
Like what he did in JDS first fight until he gassed in rd 3 (and, of course, since his cardio has vastly improved, that won't be the case this time)

When did he prove that his cardio improved? While lying for 5 rounds on Mark Hunt who did nothing against it, unable to knock him out with 100+ punches
He never proved his cardio is better now. He is a heavyweight.

In my opinion he needs to wrap Ngannou up immediately against the cage and work for the takedown. It doesn't matter too much if he gets it, Stipe's cardio will be better than Ngannou's and I can't see Ngannou keeping up with Stipe for more than two rounds.

When you put "just saying" at the end of a quote, the person reading it does so in the voice of a douchenozzle.

Just saying.

Sorry, I'm not a native english speaker.

Just saying.

Stipe vs. Ngannou is the HW match we've been waiting for. So how does the smaller Champ tackle this big challenger? Does he circle away from the power hand, land potshots on the outside and the occasional combination when it opens up, and work for a decision? Will he try to take Francis down and do some ground n' pound? Is it wise to go for a submission? Something straightforward but unexpected like a quick armbar or kimura?
I think a lot of folks are underrating Stipe right now because Francis is the new commodity and a KO artist. Let's not forget the Champ is quickly approaching HW Goat territory with an unmatched 3 title defenses - if he wins this one. He ain't flashy, he's not the biggest, or the biggest talker, but damn it that's why I like him! A humble Champion has earned his respect, and I think he'll pull out a victory here against what is obviously a very hard hitter.
Francis has yet to really be challenged. We don't know what all he's capable of. However, that also means his weaknesses have yet to be exposed. How's his ground game? His cardio? He won't be able to hide those potential inadequacies at this high level. And I have a feeling the likes of Fabricio Werdum could submit him. What you think, Sherbros?
Pressure Francis like hell against the fence, use clinch work level changes and boxing in the pocket which is actually Stipe's specialty whereas Ngannou from what we've seen is very wild and uncontrolled at that range.

But if he's shook and fights tentatively he is completely screwed, Francis is very good from long range and all its going to take is one decent shot to drop Stipe.

I think its a very even fight with a slight edge to Francis because of his strength and athleticism.

When did he prove that his cardio improved? While lying for 5 rounds on Mark Hunt who did nothing against it, unable to knock him out with 100+ punches
He never proved his cardio is better now. He is a heavyweight.

You're an absolute idiot, if you really think that what he did with Hunt did not require cardio.

Unplug your keyboard and don't respond. Your opinion is worthless.

I think the most correct strategy will be to mix it up.
Like what he did in JDS first fight until he gassed in rd 3 (and, of course, since his cardio has vastly improved, that won't be the case this time)

The body shots are what affected his cardio more then anything. JDS loves throwing that shot to the gut.

The body shots are what affected his cardio more then anything. JDS loves throwing that shot to the gut.

Might've happened as well, even though I didn't see that big of an impact on him.
Anyway, I'm sure that Ngannou will not go to that direction.

Stipe comes forward in basically every fight, as much as i believe he needs to use his wrestling, i do not believe he will. As crazy as this sounds, i still see him coming forward looking to drop bombs on francis and although i dont think this is wise, i really think stipe is going to beat francis at his own game. He will come forward and overwhelm francis until finally he kos him.

stoppage-vs-hunt.gif

Might've happened as well, even though I didn't see that big of an impact on him.
Anyway, I'm sure that Ngannou will not go to that direction.

Francis will for sure not be going that route.

Surprise him with a liverkick to the head and overhand uppercut. He'll never see that coming.

Change levels, finally get that head movement going, try to gas out the Predator.

And if all else fails, run around the octagon like McGregor or Gustafson.

Back