What's more useful in mma, Taekwondo or Karate(Uechi Ryu)?

CptKush0420

White Belt
@White
Reaction score
Okay, so I have a pretty decent background in muay Thai, boxing, bjj(no GI), and some sambo. But I moved and can no longer train at my old gym.. That being said my ONLY options as far as taking martial arts is Tae Kwon Do and Karate(Uechi Ryu). Which one is more valuable to add to my arsenal for mma??

TKD in all likelihood. Uechi Ryu seems very old school, i.e., lots of kata, little to no sparring, stances that don't work in MMA, etc.

Yeah, the place with the Uechi Ryu seems VERY traditional, and they do offer 1 free class, and the TKD place is at the Rec center, haven't been up there to check it out yet, but kinda got a McDojang feeling about it.

Do the TKD. Supplementing your MT with that style of kicking is always a good idea

The best thing to is test each one. And if you are bold enough, see which one has people willing to train something closer to full contact outside the classes.

Alright well TKD it is then I'm gonna head up there tonight and check it out.. Human bass.. That's not a bad idea finding some sparring partners.

uechi ryu is related to goju ryu which provided the basis for most of kyokushin karate's techniques. I would at least check out the karate school. I didnt do uechi ryu but one pretty useful technique they have that I use is the toe kick to the body. very effective.

Think some of you guys here are a bit clueless about uechi ryu.

I'd say go to both and have a see what best suits you. At the end of the day the instruction quality will be the deciding factor regardless of the pros & cons of the art.

That said yes - uechi ryu is a traditional style. However like Kyokushin there is a huge emphasis on conditioning - it's very similar to Kyokushin in that way.

Also if you want to talk about traditional/katas - uechi ryu only has 8 katas in it's syllabus. Kyokushin on the other hand has well over 20 plus. Uechi ryu lends itself better to grappling out of the two imo.

Also it depends on the dojo - most uechi ryu dojos do sparring - some do not though. Those that do offer sparring usually do clicker/point sparring, Kyokushin sparring or freestyle (if you're lucky).

Well I tried out the TKD class it was alright, the instructor was an older gentlemen 50's to 60's said he had some amateur boxing in the army, and other form of full contact tournaments, dont remember the name of the full contact system he said as well as Karate and TKD tournaments. He even told me during his poom sae introduction that I will most likely never use any of the movements in a real fight, it's unrealistic, but it's required for belting up and good for conditioning the muscles.. He actually thought my background was a good thing (unlike alot of tma instructors from what I hear). And he sparred me as well (light contact of course). Umm only 1 2min round though. He didn't really throw much at me. Basically let me work the whole round. He didn't do much for me to see his skills yet. But I'm sure he was just feeling me out.

Haven't been to the Uechi Ryu place yet I'm thinking of trying a free class there on Saturday.

TKD if sparring often and allowing facial contact and punches is quite deadly, and goes well with MT.

Take a free class at both.

Karate has many great fundamentals that translate very well to MMA and so does TKD.

To learn Taekwondo is very good now-a-days. And also it very important to get qualitative equipments for it. So according to my opinion wkc-martial-arts-supplies.co is very good in providing such equipments which is situated in UK.

Well I tried out the TKD class it was alright, the instructor was an older gentlemen 50's to 60's said he had some amateur boxing in the army, and other form of full contact tournaments, dont remember the name of the full contact system he said as well as Karate and TKD tournaments. He even told me during his poom sae introduction that I will most likely never use any of the movements in a real fight, it's unrealistic, but it's required for belting up and good for conditioning the muscles.. He actually thought my background was a good thing (unlike alot of tma instructors from what I hear). And he sparred me as well (light contact of course). Umm only 1 2min round though. He didn't really throw much at me. Basically let me work the whole round. He didn't do much for me to see his skills yet. But I'm sure he was just feeling me out.
As many have said before - try both and pick the best one.

TKD schools I think have a higher tendency to be McDojos and I don't like what I hear about poomsae ("it's unrealistic, but it's required for belting up") - that should not be the case. TMA teachers should know how to use those effectively (look up Iain Abernethy for some great kata bunkai explanations).

As for Uechi, yes it's very traditional but it can be trained with contact and used effectively. Here's a Uechi 5th Dan in MMA:
http://www.sherdog.com/fighter/Gustavo-Sampaio-60633

If tkd has a great benefit, it is not so much for exactly sparring by itself (if using olympic rules), but that fact that doing spinning flip shit and fancy high kick combinations is a great way to work balance and coordination, and the 'pop' that makes one light on your feet. Also flexible hips which are also important. Its basically like a form of gymnastics that's even more 'sport specific' for combat sports.

Of course as a side bonus, if there's a lull in the action and you've got space, being able to wing a bicycle kick at someone's face is a great way to initiate and close the distance.

Last edited:
Has anyone watched Olympic TKD. It's basically light foot tag. If you can touch the opponent with your foot, even without power, you win a point(s).

Believe it or not, most top level ufc fighters nowdays throw spinning Sidekicks, ala TKD. And some fighters, such as Cormier and Jones, throw the TKD/Kickboxing roundhouse, not the Muay Thai one.

Back