What's more important

My post addressed the "real world", where there are no weight classes.

You can't change your height, or your reach, or your chin. You can increase your strength and your power by putting on extra muscle mass, though.

When I was kick-boxing, I used to weight 10 kg less than I do now. I also used to be much weaker. I'm pretty sure if I were to strike or grapple with my older self I would have a huge advantage now.
Ever thought about going back?

@Sano I trained for a few weeks about a year ago, after 6-7 years away from the sport. I was still fairly decent at sparring, but just as I was starting to loosen up, I started having issues (hip pain, scap retractor spasms, and knuckle inflammation). I think the reason is that the motor patterns are still ingrained and, after the initial 2-3 weeks, I was able to move at high speed/intensity, but my musculoskeletal system has grown completely unaccustomed to the stresses involved.

I guess I would need a long period of starting very light and gradually work my way up. I may do some kickboxing again for a month or two after I return to my hometown next week.

Last edited:
Conditioning is more important 100%.

Strength is only really used in grappling, and even then it's going to over powered if someone has better grapping technique.

You don't need strength to pull of a lot of techniques and movements, but you do need conditioning to carry your techniques over an extended period of time.

Conditioning, widely.

Back