What's happening in the 170 division?

hfajardoe

Purple Belt
@purple
Reaction score
I know Woodley was hurt, when is he schedule to come back? Against who? Is Colby fighting any time soon? A match Colby - usman for TS would be nice.

Woodley is hoping to get GSP still but I believe RDA is next , Dana said so and we all know we can take him at his word

Last edited:
Many of the best fighters at 170 are not fighting in the UFC.

170 is kneeling.
The best guys are in Bellator, and the UFC WWs only want to move up to fight in an ageing, weak MW division.
That is wha't happening... Damn.

Closing in on 8 months here. Considering the way the UFC has been handing out Interim belts like they were breath mints. It’s kind of odd there isn’t one in WW right now. Because a title defence doesn’t seem likely before another 3-4 months go by. That’ll be close to a year. If there’s a lengthy rehab. Or if it’s injured again in training. It could be even longer.

I’m not saying I want an Interim champ. I’m just saying I’m surprised there isn’t one.

Woodley - RDA
Till - Colby
Usman - Ponzi
I really hope Cerrone vs Condit after Condit fights Brown
Erick Silva - Platinum

The WW-division is actually pretty damn vibrant at the moment, but there's not much momentum because a lot of fighters don't have a fight booked, most notably Woodley.

170 seems like a total afterthought right now. WME forgot about it and fans don't care.

I wouldn't be surprised if they did some bs like RDA vs Colby for an interim belt, considering they know it'll sell.

Some people in here got Rory's balls in their mouth.

They forget that Rory left the UFC after going 3-3 in his final 6 fights and 0-2 in his final 2 fights not to mention that even though current champ has lost to Rory he has wins over the last 2 people to beat Rory.

But they want you to believe he's the best.

Anyway to answer the main question, highly ranked figther like WB and Colby are trying to protect their positions by not fighting anyone unless it's for a title. This is also compounded the fact the champ just had surgery and is rehabbing.

Last edited:
If you add six months from the time they last fought, this would be the expected schedule:

W | 1/29/18 | Woodley
W | 5/04/18 | Thompson
W | 6/16/18 | RDA
W | 4/28/18 | Covington
L | Injured | Lawler
L | 4/28/18 | Maia
L | 5/04/18 | Masvidal
W | 6/30/18 | Magny
W | 7/14/18 | Usman
W | 4/21/18 | Till
W | 6/16/18 | Ponzinibbio

Woodley vs. RDA; Woodley needs a title defense as soon as possible, RDA has the strongest case.
Thompson vs. Covington; if Covington wins he receives the next title shot.
Maia vs. Till; winner fights Thompson.
Magny vs. Ponzinibbio
Masvidal vs. Usman

Lawler being injured and Masvidal/Ponzinibbio being teammates makes the matchmaking a little iffy. And I think Cerrone needs to go back down to Lightweight, which is why I didn't mention him.

170 is kneeling.
The best guys are in Bellator, and the UFC WWs only want to move up to fight in an ageing, weak MW division.
That is wha't happening... Damn.

Ageing weak? Why in the world would anyone wanna willingly fight someone like Yoel, lol

Short Answer: Nothing

Long Answer:
Tyron "The Choosing One" Woodley is stalling to get Diaz, McGregor or GSP.
Colby is ranked #4 with one top 10 win but seems to be determined to move to HW to fight Werdum.
Darren Till is calling for a title shot with one top 10 win
Lawler and Maia are being dismissed as too old
Masvidal seems too small for WW elite but LW is too much of a cut and stalled out as well
Rory and Larkin went to Bellator
RDA is deserving of the next title shot and actually earned it so he most likely won't be fighting for the title.

Woodley - RDA
Till - Colby
Usman - Ponzi
I really hope Cerrone vs Condit after Condit fights Brown
Erick Silva - Platinum

Cerrone is returning to 155, Erick Silva is not anymore part of UFC. There is a chance to see Usman - Ponzi headlining Chile

RDA should no doubt be next in line for the title. if woodley is unwilling to fight RDA, then do RDA/Colby for the interim belt. No more holding out for "money" fights or "super" fights when there are NONE or the fighter isn't in a position to get one (especially coming off two of the most boring title fights in UFC history)

They forget that Rory left the UFC after going 3-3 in his final 6 fights and 0-2 in his final 2 fights not to mention that even though current champ has lost to Rory he has wins over the last 2 people to beat Rory.

Anyway to answer the main question, highly ranked figther like WB and Colby are trying to protect their positions by not fighting anyone unless it's for a title. This is also compounded the fact the champ just had surgery and is rehabbing.

This..Also next title fight whether interim or not should involve RDA,anything else is bullshit (not that a thousand interims isn't BS too)

This is a major Contrast and shows the Old School "Zuffa" UFC vs the new WME/UFC. Thompson climbed the ranks and beat fighters in small increments to earn his high ranking. He should only be fighting top 5 fighters. Colby was outside the top 10 and got a fight with Maia that he didn't even deserve. Winning that Shoots him into top 2-3 and deserving of a title eliminator bout? Thats like an 0-15 team in the NFL beating a 15-0 team and going to the playoffs. But talking crap and publicity stunts on Twitter matters more to the owners then actual fights in the Octagon.

Back