Whats happened to Giorgio Petrosyan?

How could you determine that Ristie has Petrosyan's number? They fought once and Petrosyan was winning the fight before he got caught with awkward shot. Outside of that one night Ristie has looked pretty average.
Well Ristie KOd RvR too. Hasn't been done in a long time.
Besides, I wouldn't say Petrosyan was in control. Ristie's style was obviously giving him trouble. Idk if he could win a rematch.
I'd have to watch the fight again, but I seem to recall he wasn't landing as much as he wanted to and Ristie was bullying him.

Well Ristie KOd RvR too. Hasn't been done in a long time.
Besides, I wouldn't say Petrosyan was in control. Ristie's style was obviously giving him trouble. Idk if he could win a rematch.
I'd have to watch the fight again, but I seem to recall he wasn't landing as much as he wanted to and Ristie was bullying him.

Ristie overperformed on that night, not that he isn't a dangerous fighter but he was ko'd by Kiria in his first title defence and then lost decisively to RVR.

Ristie overperformed on that night, not that he isn't a dangerous fighter but he was ko'd by Kiria in his first title defence and then lost decisively to RVR.
Not saying he's a better fighter than either RvR or Petrosyan, but he presented a puzzle which Petrosyan couldn't solve. RvR adapted and beat him the second time. I wonder how a rematch with Petro would go.

Not saying he's a better fighter than either RvR or Petrosyan, but he presented a puzzle which Petrosyan couldn't solve. RvR adapted and beat him the second time. I wonder how a rematch with Petro would go.
u might want to watch the fight over again. petrosyian took the first 2 rounds clearly and was up in the 3rd until the ko so ristie was not some unsolvable problem for him. ristie had a great night and caught petrosyian but it was not like he was anywhere close on the scorecards until the ko

if by puzzle you mean broken hand....then yes he could not solve it lol.

maybe because he looks younger but for some reasons when it comes to ristie ppl forget he's 35 now and hasn't fought in years....a rematch?how do you really expect that to go?

if by puzzle you mean broken hand....then yes he could not solve it lol.

maybe because he looks younger but for some reasons when it comes to ristie ppl forget he's 35 now and hasn't fought in years....a rematch?how do you really expect that to go?
I don't know... that's why I'm curious. Age is just a number in many cases.
As for the broken hand, I had no idea. How was serious was it?
One thing is certain - Ristie was bullying Petrosyan throughout the fight.

I don't know... that's why I'm curious. Age is just a number in many cases.
As for the broken hand, I had no idea. How was serious was it?
One thing is certain - Ristie was bullying Petrosyan throughout the fight.

it was serious...petro broke his hand which he had surgery for 8 months before or something like that, you can see how he starts to keep his guard down clearly before the ko.

so that was his 5th surgery on his left hand. (for the record he also had one on his right).

it was serious...petro broke his hand which he had surgery for 8 months before or something like that, you can see how he starts to keep his guard down clearly before the ko.

so that was his 5th surgery on his left hand. (for the record he also had one on his right).
At what point during the fight did he break it?
Damn, have to rewatch it...

Giorgio was having trouble, but he was up on the scorecard against Ristie. It was definitely a troubling style for him - but he WAS winning prior to the KO, which y'know... is kind of the point fighting, being able to come from behind to win.

Back