What's going on with Atama Kimonos?

chaps

Brown Belt
@Brown
Reaction score
What's going on with Atama?

Their website has been down for quite some time now and the Atama forum on MMA.TV has just changed to BJJGround forum.

Does anyone have any news about them?

I constantly rotate three Mundial 9s to train. If they're truly tilting over, I might consider retiring my blue one that I've worn about 3-4 times and only train with my "old" white & black ones.

Can't say for sure, but didn't they just lose someone kind of big in their US operations recently? I know that a sponsored Athlete in town was eulogizing the man from Atama that started sponsoring him at like Blue belt.

I can only imagine that they are having a tough time with all the gi companies out there making quality gis. Atamas are now luxury items, price-wise, and it would be hard to say that they're any better than say a CTRL Industries or an Oss Gi. They could be struggling.

I used to buy them, but the last few I bought were pieces of shit (fell apart instantly) and no cheaper than other better quality gis.

The US distributor, Eric Fehrmann, passed away in September.

I used to buy them, but the last few I bought were pieces of shit (fell apart instantly) and no cheaper than other better quality gis.

It always seems to happen with BJJ companies that they build a killer reputation for high quality equipment then they get greedy and start trying to cut costs and sell an inferior product for the same price as before. Then they lose their original fan base and tarnish their reputation. Brazilians with a favela mentality just see the reais and don't think about the long-term.

It always seems to happen with BJJ companies that they build a killer reputation for high quality equipment then they get greedy and start trying to cut costs and sell an inferior product for the same price as before. Then they lose their original fan base and tarnish their reputation. Brazilians with a favela mentality just see the reais and don't think about the long-term.

Favela mentality?

Go on.....

Einarr, I really like reading your posts and the opinions of guys like you and Uchimata are some of the things that make me come back to see what's going on in these forums. That said, I must also state that, as a Brazilian, I found your last sentence to be EXTREMELY disrespectful to anyone born in this country. Greed is not a national trait, but a personality flaw. Stating that someone has a "favela mentality" is possibly one of the worst things you could say to a Brazilian. Anyone here would immediately cringe if they heard any person saying that and (I am not kidding here), if you said it on Brazilian soil, you would probably be arrested, since prejudice of any sort here (be it social or racial) is punishable with a couple years in prison.

Well, getting back to our topic: here in Brazil Atama is still considered one of the (if not the) best gi brand. To be more precise, Atama, Drag

Or they just lost a materials supplier or something. I wouldn't assume it's rampant greed, there are a lot of reasons that product quality from a business rise and fall. Small businesses especially have a much harder time maintaining a consistent supply chain.

Einarr, I really like reading your posts and the opinions of guys like you and Uchimata are some of the things that make me come back to see what's going on in these forums. That said, I must also state that, as a Brazilian, I found your last sentence to be EXTREMELY disrespectful to anyone born in this country. Greed is not a national trait, but a personality flaw. Stating that someone has a "favela mentality" is possibly one of the worst things you could say to a Brazilian. Anyone here would immediately cringe if they heard any person saying that and (I am not kidding here), if you said it on Brazilian soil, you would probably be arrested, since prejudice of any sort here (be it social or racial) is punishable with a couple years in prison.

Well, getting back to our topic: here in Brazil Atama is still considered one of the (if not the) best gi brand. To be more precise, Atama, Drag

I apologize if I offended you, and certainly don't mean anything against Brazil or Brazilians (both of which I have nothing but respect for). I've simply noticed that a lot of Brazilians who grew up poor (not all Brazilians by any means or even all Brazilians from a poor background) seem to value short-term monetary gain above virtually everything else. Again, I'm not in any way saying that "greed is a national trait" nor did I mean any offense.

Wow... Thank God that this trait only applies to some poor Brazilians.

Wow... Thank God that this trait only applies to some poor Brazilians.

If someone told me they were offended by something I said that didn't pertain to Brazil/Japan/something-else-I-respect I'd laugh and tell them to go fuck themselves. So be happy with what you got.

Stop hating on the guy, what he said was absolutely 100% true. Brazillians love making quick money. Nothing disrespectful about that

They had one of the only Judo gi's that fit me perfect, and now they're gone!

Stop hating on the guy, what he said was absolutely 100% true. Brazillians love making quick money. Nothing disrespectful about that

Absolutely 100% true ? Are u an anthropologist with brazilian economics mentality master degree ? At least have u ever been in Brazil ?

Favela: The truth is, most of people who lives there are workers fucked by the government, specially by the shitty Rio de Janeiro gov. Besides they dont have much, they are known to share everything they have (unlike the wealthier classes).

I have been reading Einarr posts, im sure he didnt mean to be disrespectful. But be careful guys, brazilians can be butthurt with some topics.

The more I read of you Einarr, the more I'm convinced you have aspergers. Have you ever been checked for it?

If someone told me they were offended by something I said that didn't pertain to Brazil/Japan/something-else-I-respect I'd laugh and tell them to go fuck themselves. So be happy with what you got.

Sorry, I missed the part where you apologized to everyone for jumping to racist conclusions when the real reason for the thread topic is because a guy died. I hope you feel like an asshole, because if you don't there is something wrong with you.

Back