What's goin' down at Tocco's (video):

Status
Not open for further replies.
No you're spot-on about the guy at our gym. He has this "tough guy" approach to things but it's all a load of crap. He only ever talks tough about people when they're not around. I did see him get rowdy once with a guy he KNEW would never hit him, and of course that incident with that other jerk who punched his fighter while he was fixing the headgear. But he realized that guy was full of shit himself by the time he hit him.

Personally he's also a far-right gun-nut. Typical disenfranchised white guy who tried to cheat the system all his life and didn't end up wealthy, thinks Donald Trump is gonna make it happen for him. Makes his money off of blacks and Hispanics while always criticizing blacks and Hispanics. But his wet dream is a white heavyweight. He had a guy like that he trained for a while, former Army Ranger, tough, white heavyweight...practically drooled over him.

That is (or was) JR's trainer, right? I saw another interview with him but he wasn't really saying nothing of substance or even informative, just rambling about what is old school and what isn't...

I remember it kinda surprised me, because I was under the impression you two worked well with each other lol... But I may be just making a big mess in my head, my memory sucks.

By the way, I just have the nicest feelings when I heard of Daijon. You've put so much work in developing him. It's been some time since you started sharing his journey with us, and I thank you for that. Learned a lot

If you get dropped in sparring real bad then yes let him take a round or 2 off, but if your training for a fight shouldn't you spar hard and continue after a 10 count?

Dropped in sparring bad... I've always felt that it's time to pull the plug. Now that depends how "bad"... My first concern is neurological health.. but there are things to weigh up here and I'm sure Luis is careful in making his judgements. The confidence of the fighter can be compromised if he isn't given the chance to continue and survive under real duress. Developing psychological resilience. That being said I've seen far too many trainers who don't pull the plug on fighters who haven't just been dropped... But are concussed and can barely recall the couple of rounds that they managed to get through after getting dropped.

Dropped in sparring bad... I've always felt that it's time to pull the plug. Now that depends how "bad"... My first concern is neurological health.. but there are things to weigh up here and I'm sure Luis is careful in making his judgements. The confidence of the fighter can be compromised if he isn't given the chance to continue and survive under real duress. Developing psychological resilience. That being said I've seen far too many trainers who don't pull the plug on fighters who haven't just been dropped... But are concussed and can barely recall the couple of rounds that they managed to get through after getting dropped.

I don't know, I rather be treated like a fighter than a kid karate practitioner. And I really do hate new Jersey's fucking safety rules for gyms, like they make the mma gyms, muay thai gyms, and boxing gyms safe to the point where if you get hit hard in sparring and you don't get rocked but your head still moves then they ask to stop and ask if your alright.

But I do like how some instructors disregard the safety rules for the gyms. (They mostly do that for the more experienced fighters)

I believe you mentioned before in a thread that there is one trainer in your gym who openly calls your boxing drills bullshit, I am guessing this is the guy?
I’ve had a few people at the gym question drills over mindless bag work. Typically it’s been old school knuckle heads or hyper emotional man children who just want to beat on the bag with wild, ugly punches. Either way I’ve got no time for them.
Got a question for you if you're willing to discuss it. How would you deal with someone who doesn't want any exposure to media? I mean an experience fighter that comes to you, not a kid.
And I really mean no exposure. No interviews, no uploads on social media etc...
Would you still be willing to work with him, or do you believe that promoting oneself is a necessity, both for you/gym and himself?
depends on what their goals are. If they want to go pro some day then social media is absolutely part of the life now.you can’t hustle sponsors, you’ll have no leverage when you’re negotiating contracts,and you’ll struggle to move tickets.

I don't know, I rather be treated like a fighter than a kid karate practitioner. And I really do hate new Jersey's fucking safety rules for gyms, like they make the mma gyms, muay thai gyms, and boxing gyms safe to the point where if you get hit hard in sparring and you don't get rocked but your head still moves then they ask to stop and ask if your alright.

But I do like how some instructors disregard the safety rules for the gyms. (They mostly do that for the more experienced fighters)

Some Karate has incredibly hard sparring! Kyokushin is known for hard sparring.. lots of it... With headkicks thrown and the inevitable concussions that come with it. Probably not a coincidence that these guys enjoyed a high degree of success crossing over to K1 relative to other styles of Karate.

Hard sparring, learning to weather the storm.. its absolutely necessary to build confidence and resilience. Of course fighters need to be treated like fighters... When I say pull the plug when a guys been dropped bad.. I mean BAD. That requires a real observant trainer who can recognize that and can walk the tightrope between building a fighter up and breaking one down.

Beyond that hard sparring, used in a measured way, will give those who aren't cut out for the sport at the level they aspire to a heads up earlier than they would get otherwise.

Last edited:
I'll respond to this stuff a bit later, but this past Saturday Daijon dropped a decision to the #1 kid in the Country in his division. It was a competitive, albeit messy bout and Daijon managed to knock him down but it didn't get counted (both gloves touched but the ref didn't call it). Here's an interview with the dude, Fruedis Rojas Jr., who I've known since he was 12, maybe younger. What's funny is the interviewer kept trying to diss Daijon but Fruedis wasn't having it:

i
I'll respond to this stuff a bit later, but this past Saturday Daijon dropped a decision to the #1 kid in the Country in his division. It was a competitive, albeit messy bout and Daijon managed to knock him down but it didn't get counted (both gloves touched but the ref didn't call it). Here's an interview with the dude, Fruedis Rojas Jr., who I've known since he was 12, maybe younger. What's funny is the interviewer kept trying to diss Daijon but Fruedis wasn't having it:

s their video of the fight?

That is (or was) JR's trainer, right? I saw another interview with him but he wasn't really saying nothing of substance or even informative, just rambling about what is old school and what isn't...

I remember it kinda surprised me, because I was under the impression you two worked well with each other lol... But I may be just making a big mess in my head, my memory sucks.

By the way, I just have the nicest feelings when I heard of Daijon. You've put so much work in developing him. It's been some time since you started sharing his journey with us, and I thank you for that. Learned a lot

Yeah, we DID get along well. That is until my crew got bigger, I got better, and then changed the way I did things. Then he started to get very critical and would make snide comments about WHAT I was doing, but not me or mentioning me. It all culminated when JR asked me to help him with conditioning only for his most recent fight. I told him ONLY if John said it was ok, and only AFTER he finished everything John asked of him. About a week and a half in John was getting very agitated about the things JR was doing (for whatever fuckin' reason) and then one night he weighed JR soaking wet after a workout on a scale that was 10lbs off and blew a gasket saying I was "making him too buff." Which is absurd because JR was cutting. Really he just couldn't stand to not be in control of everything and it crushed his little ego to accept any help (he blew a similar gasket tonight and lost Alex Thiel, 8 National Titles).

He went off on a bunch of things but what set me off was he said my fighters never win anything. Mike and Joseph were standing right there. At the time Joseph was higher ranked than Alex, and Mike had just fought 3 days in a row, knocked a guy out the first day, almost knocked a guy out the second day, and dropped a close decision the 3rd day. I don't give a fuck what trainers say about me but if you insult guys who bleed in that ring and you've never done that anywhere near that level, I'm gonna tell you to go fuck yourself. Then John refused to apologize for getting out of line, his assistant told him he should and he said: "I know I owe him an apology but I'll apologize whenever the fuck I want." So I told his assistant he should just keep it, because I don't need it. Since then we've become cordial, but he sells himself in the gym by insulting anything anyone does that isn't what he thinks it should be, especially me. He also tries to muscle his fighters in on sparring every time I arrange it. Like a guest comes from another gym to work with my fighter, he tries to shoehorn his fighters in on it. A guy came in with his daughter on a referral from another guy I know, they specifically said they were looking for me and he did his whole sales pitch on how he's a "real trainer" and doesn't do "any of that other kinda bullshit" right in front of me. lol But if I paid that shit any mind he'd figure any reaction means he could bother me, so I didn't, they signed up with me anyway.

Dude thinks I sit up at night thinking about how to be "better" than him, when the truth is he's not even on my radar to compete with. There's another trainer in town who I have the utmost respect for, and my fighters are 0-4 against his (with what I felt was one bad decision). Now THAT guy, I think about. Not a motherfucker who tells people to watch Errol Spence and Vasyl Lomanchenko and then says: "You gotta learn how to do all that" while never showing them what the fuck he's actually talking about.

And yes, Daijon is finally starting to come into his own. He went through a rough year and half or so, but is back on track now and has the right attitude most of the time. He's a fine student despite his faults, which he's quite aware of and has a genuine desire to improve on. But ironically all the other guys are coming into their own well also, maturing well. Jonny Loco had his BEST fight with me the weekend before last, Cyclone Mike had a rough last couple of fights, but has grown quite a bit as a man as a result of that. And my JV squad are even tighter and more tribal than the Varsity squad. My 110lb'er had that ref stoppage and my 141lb 17 year-old who also fought that day took it upon himself to go to his house and make sure he was ok when he didn't come to the gym the next week.

Despite how Cesar looked in that video, he was never unconscious at any point. There's only been one time I've ever had a guy fully lights out, and he didn't spar again for around 4 weeks.

Last edited:
P.S. - This is something JR learned how to do while conditioning with me:

And this was the fight, he had about a month where John ceased him continuing to get stronger and in better shape:

If you ask me he was just pissy because he doesn't know how to even teach conditioning or strength and refuses to learn. For a few months after this he would just go on rants about how old school fighters didn't do conditioning, which is absolutely absurd. He once told a kid that Muhammad Ali was in great FIGHTING shape but had a soft body. LOL You can quite easily find videos of Ali bragging about how awesome and muscular his body was.

P.S. - This is something JR learned how to do while conditioning with me:

And this was the fight, he had about a month where John ceased him continuing to get stronger and in better shape:

If you ask me he was just pissy because he doesn't know how to even teach conditioning or strength and refuses to learn. For a few months after this he would just go on rants about how old school fighters didn't do conditioning, which is absolutely absurd. He once told a kid that Muhammad Ali was in great FIGHTING shape but had a soft body. LOL You can quite easily find videos of Ali bragging about how awesome and muscular his body was.

So who was J-Flash's first trainer and who did the most working in helping him become a good fighter? I am guessing it was not John.

He's been boxing on and off for most of his life, he started in Southern California. Not sure under exactly who but he's been at Tocco's for the past 5 years or so, and avoiding John for about the last 20 months. He mostly works with Chris, John's assistant, who is significantly less abrasive and closed-minded than John.

I neglected to mention, WHEN that fight happened both John and JR admitted he could have done better, that it was a razor thin decision, etc. Now John tells everyone that he felt JR won most of the rounds and that the promoters stacked the deck against him by matching him with "their guy" ...when only JR was signed by the Company. He tells people they fought "the house guy" in "his backyard" ...that fight took place in Kentucky and Dobson is from New York. This is his way of both absolving himself of any responsibility, and of trying to falsely gas JR's head up in the belief that he's already perfect.

That's a shame. I've had my fighters at the end of bad decisions and always adopted a "back to the drawing board" approach.

Not everybody was happy, but if they can't appreciate honesty I don't even want to work with them

I don't think John's career as a trainer was built on honesty at all.

Got any up in coming pros we gotta watch out for Sinister?! Ive been out a while need to catch up on the forums!

Got any up in coming pros we gotta watch out for Sinister?! Ive been out a while need to catch up on the forums!

Nah. I don't even like dealing with Pros if I didn't groom them. It's like convincing a white kid with dreads that he needs a haircut

This might help some of you to use this thing.

I've had all of my fighters now use the Reballdo as fight day warm-up, because mitts causes too much tension and if you don't get the sequences right it can get frustrating. You feel burnt before you get in the ring. I have them use this to break a sweat, set their timing and hand-eye coordination, but we don't do it like everyone else does:

This might help some of you to use this thing.

I've had all of my fighters now use the Reballdo as fight day warm-up, because mitts causes too much tension and if you don't get the sequences right it can get frustrating. You feel burnt before you get in the ring. I have them use this to break a sweat, set their timing and hand-eye coordination, but we don't do it like everyone else does:

I have been playing a4ound with some of the concepts you mentioned in the video but that really put the pieces together and added several chapters TBH

What about length of the cord? I have been playing around with different lengths and related to my skill level I find that a shorter length is easier for me to put out higher volume because of faster returns the control of the ball path is easier. Comparing to a longer length I find I can get a full punch length going but it gets much harder to put up a higher volume of punches and control it (also the longer lengths tend to have the reballdo smacking me in the nuts occasionally)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back