Whats everyones thoughts on MJ going to 145?

120wrestling

Brown Belt
@Brown
Reaction score
Guy is a top 5 LW in his prime, he's pretty thin for the weight class, wins over Edson Barboza, Tony Ferguson, Dustin Poirier, etc.

He already has nasty power at 155 and has cracked Gaethje and Khabib good. I think he'll be stopping a lot of guys. I also think he runs through Cub, Stephens, and Yair. I think him and Aldo is a toss up fight....and I think he loses to Frankie and Max (depending on the momentum he's riding).

He should do major damage there, as long as the cut doesn't kill him.

Guy is a top 5 LW in his prime, he's pretty thin for the weight class, wins over Edson Barboza, Tony Ferguson, Dustin Poirier, etc.

He already has nasty power at 155 and has cracked Gaethje and Khabib good. I think he'll be stopping a lot of guys. I also think he runs through Cub, Stephens, and Yair. I think him and Aldo is a toss up fight....and I think he loses to Frankie and Max (depending on the momentum he's riding).
Poor Khabib... "cracked good"...

IMO his problem is not his size, so I think he will have more or less the same success

I don't think he'll do any better. He'll beat some guys while losing to the upper echelon and the younger guys with more talent than himself.

When you start blaming your weight for your losses, it is not a good sign. You can already see his rib cage when he fights at 155, I don't know why he thinks being further depleted will make perform better. LOL

He needs to learn some fight IQ, his weight is not the problem.

he landed 9 head strikes on Khabib in 15 minutes mate

Strength difference should carry him well if he can make the cut healthily. He could snag a top 5 seat.

IMO his problem is not his size, so I think he will have more or less the same success

I agree. Going down in weight is very often a way for fighters on a losing streak to tell themselves that there is an easy (if starving/dehydrating can be called easy) way to restart their career. It’s similar to dudes/ladies past their prime constantly switching camps - it’s easier to blame outside factors than to admit that he/she is done.

I met him and he's barely bigger than me and there's no way i could ever fight at 155.

I like MJ, he's fun to watch win or lose. I'd love to see him tear it up at 145 but i fear the weight cut will wear him out.

Idk if he can make the weight, but I'd like to see him try vs Jeremy Stephens

MJ needs to tighten up his boxing(dump the looping telegraphed punches), improve his balance and footwork and add more variety to his striking than just a 1-2. He also gets angered easily and sucked into his opponent's game. He'll have the same problems at 145.

Basic combinations, been figured out by many before and more to follow regardless of weight class.

Don't see a lot of winnable fights for him at 145. In the top 10 I'd favor him over Elkins and Stephens and that's about it. Yair and Ortega are 50/50 fights, the rest beats him pretty handily. Hell even outside the top 10 guys like Bermudez, Choi and Bektic could give him fits.

He's a pretty limited mixed martial artist imo. I think a lot of his success at 155 was due to his handspeed and I don't think that will be as big a factor at fw.

Back