Whatever happened to Machado-JJ?

RangerATL

Pray For War
Reaction score
The poster who used to be a mod in here? I've been...busy....for the last 18 months, but I always thought that guy was pretty cool. Anybody know what happened to him?

He got real busy with school and what not, Hasn't been around.

yep, and he had a big shoulder injury, so he had to stop training for a long time, I think he said something like that.

It's a shame, him and wilhelm were very good posters

He got injured (shoulder problem), stopped training and started college at USC a couple years ago. He's done with BJJ.

A legend in the grappling forums

Man, it really has been a long time since he posted here.

i remember messaging him on AIM when I had first started bjj, and he sounded so sick of it. I was thinking wow, this guy really sounds like he hates bjj or something. sure enough, a few months later he quit.

he was a nice guy and a good poster, shame he got injured/fucked off with BJJ etc

I could see getting burned out on it. You can burn out on anything, no matter how fun it is. I know guys that have been burned out on skydiving and scuba diving, so it's all about how you approach it.

True enough. I was super intensely into BJJ when I first started 3 years ago -- now I am still interested and often excited by it, but the level of infatuation has dropped tremendously. I could see burning out, as happens with many preoccupations, but am really hoping that doesn't happen to me, as I do enjoy having this interest/hobby.

Agreed. When I first started a couple of years ago, my school only offered 2 days a week. I couldn't stand the 5 days between thurs and tues. Finally they added a 3rd class. Still wasn't enough. Then a 4th. I took that too. Still not enough. Class #5 got added. I took them all and at that point I started noticing mounting fatigue and injury (I'm 36) from training so hard, so often.

Then class #6 was added. Not only do I NOT go to that one, but I'm being careful to periodize the other 5 days. 2 days a week I train very hard. 2 days a week are moderate and 1 day is ONLY technique drilling with MAYBE the lightest possible sparring.

This seems like a good balance as I'm now much less fatigued on a daily basis, my injuries have cleared up, my skill is on a relatively constant upswing and I look forward to every class; it never seems like a chore. I've seen a lot of guys come in going balls out 6 days a week only to disappear after a couple months.

I still have the same interest for BJJ as I had 5 and 1/2 years ago (when I started)... I would like to train more if I didn't have so many injurys to worry about all the time :(

but I do understand people that just stop having interest about doing the same thing 5 days a week for 5 years :)

Back