what years do we consider the glorious days of gaming?

You made a pretty ignorant comment. You are essentially saying that the current gen is always the best gen and therefore everything in the past is shit. By your logic, the "actual" best games are going to be the last games that ever release. lol
if you wanna try extrapolate it to only be on the shortest of terms then yes you would be correct that i 'basically' said that

but that would make you retarded

if you wanna try extrapolate it to only be on the shortest of terms then yes you would be correct that i 'basically' said that

but that would make you retarded

Oh nice backtrack but I'll try to give you the benefit of the doubt. So you think that the current games are unique in that they leave a bigger impact now then other games in the past did at the time? Ummm, no, I still don't accept that. Games in the last 2 or 3 years are great but how many have been revolutionary?

Gaming is constantly in a golden age because it keeps getting better. There are memorable games from all generations but seriously how can you compare older games to now other than through total nostalgia.

I also abhor the "this game did it first so it's better." NO... it's better later once it's been refined. It's cool and nostalgic to be there at the beginning but it's never done the best first.

I've been playing games since Atari and NES btw. Owned nes snes n64 ps2-4 Xbox and Xbox 360 and had a pc most of that time. Also have owned a bunch of hand helds. It's hard to go back and play old games except for nostalgia. Secret of mana, ff2, brigandine, ff tactics... some of my earlier favs. Still hard to play when compared to modern games. So limited even though cutting edge for their time.

Gaming is constantly in a golden age because it keeps getting better. There are memorable games from all generations but seriously how can you compare older games to now other than through total nostalgia.

I also abhor the "this game did it first so it's better." NO... it's better later once it's been refined. It's cool and nostalgic to be there at the beginning but it's never done the best first.

I've been playing games since Atari and NES btw. Owned nes snes n64 ps2-4 Xbox and Xbox 360 and had a pc most of that time. Also have owned a bunch of hand helds. It's hard to go back and play old games except for nostalgia. Secret of mana, ff2, brigandine, ff tactics... some of my earlier favs. Still hard to play when compared to modern games. So limited even though cutting edge for their time.

You are making the same mistake as Mike Sherry. The point isn't about judging all games to today's standard. That is completely unfair. No, what is fair is to try to judge the reaction of games at their specific point and time. What new things did they bring or what things did they just do extremely well at the given time.

Shenmue for example.... If you were fortunate enough to play it in 1999 you would have been moved. Maybe you eventually you found it to be boring but don't lie, you would have been initially impressed by it's incredible attention to detail.

Oh nice backtrack but I'll try to give you the benefit of the doubt. So you think that the current games are unique in that they leave a bigger impact now then other games in the past did at the time? Ummm, no, I still don't accept that. Games in the last 2 or 3 years are great but how many have been revolutionary?
yeah man, youre right, just like the guys that would say cs 1.6 was better than cs go or source

no wait 1.5 was the best

no wait pre alpha was the best

if you wanna not be retarded you would realize i said is completely correct. i never back tracked shit. no one said shit about revolutionary. the latest call of duty is better than goldeneye ever was. I dont give a shit if your nostalgia wants you to argue otherwise

From about Zelda on NES to GTA: San Andreas on the PS2.

Probably the last gen console era. They had Skyrim, the Mass Effect trilogy, GTA IV & V, and Red Dead Redemption. That era was so successful that the new consoles have been out for years and they are just now developing games specifically for them. Until now, they have been developing games for both the current and past gen consoles.

ESPN NFL 2k5 came out in 2004 so that is it for me. The last decent NFL game that will probably ever be made.

As for most old games, the were good then but suck horribly now and with tech the golden age is always tomorrow.

You are making the same mistake as Mike Sherry. The point isn't about judging all games to today's standard. That is completely unfair. No, what is fair is to try to judge the reaction of games at their specific point and time. What new things did they bring or what things did they just do extremely well at the given time.

Shenmue for example.... If you were fortunate enough to play it in 1999 you would have been moved. Maybe you eventually you found it to be boring but don't lie, you would have been initially impressed by it's incredible attention to detail.
People in the early 1800s were probably incredibly impressed by the earliest attempts at internal combustion engines and vehicles powered by them too. Should that be taken into account when discussing the best era for driving?

I am someone that loves older games but I would have to say we live in the best era now.

online only, with server performance being typically somewhere between passable and terribad. and in an era where hackers/trolls/botnets (ie: lizardsquad) can ddos anything into total inaccessibility.

LAN being disabled/disallowed.

retarded TOSs being the norm.

hackers stealing people's info and causing servers to be taken down for extended periods (ie: psn)/companies being irresponsible regarding their security, including of your data.

buggy games that shouldn't exist being released and requiring tons of patches to fix... and sometimes never even being fixed (sup, fallout 4).

DLC, now often involving suckering people into a season pass for little to nothing (borderlands tps, fallout 4, etc and etc). dlc getting lazier and lazier/shammier.

pay2win

microtransactions.

subscriptions requiring one to pay to access multiplayer.

gamergate/media and devs colluding over reviews, trigglypuff nonsense like the new mass effect

local coop becoming a unicorn.

no, it's not just nostalgia.

since you think this is the best era of games, please tell me what these great recent games are. i won't be holding my breath. imo, this is easily the worst era of gaming since the early 90s.

tech constantly improving =/= games improving.

i had much more fun playing perfect dark/mario kart 64/starcraft/timesplitters 2 with a group of (irl) friends in one location than any game i've played in... years.

Last edited:
online only, with server performance being typically somewhere between passable and terribad. and in an era where hackers/trolls/botnets (ie: lizardsquad) can ddos anything into total inaccessibility.

LAN being disabled/disallowed.

retarded TOSs being the norm.

hackers stealing people's info and causing servers to be taken down for extended periods (ie: psn)/companies being irresponsible regarding their security, including of your data.

buggy games that shouldn't exist being released and requiring tons of patches to fix... and sometimes never even being fixed (sup, fallout 4).

DLC, now often involving suckering people into a season pass for little to nothing (borderlands tps, fallout 4, etc and etc). dlc getting lazier and lazier/shammier.

pay2win

microtransactions.

subscriptions requiring one to pay to access multiplayer.

gamergate/media and devs colluding.

local coop becoming a unicorn.

no, it's not just nostalgia.

since you think this is the best era of games, please tell me what these great recent games are. i won't be holding my breath. imo, this is easily the worst era of gaming since the early 90s.

tech constantly improving =/= games improving.

Are you freaking kidding me?!?! I was map hacking in the original Starcraft on a 28.8k modem. Most of the time you just hoped you could finish a game online.

This is the dumbest post ever. Literally everything you listed has gotten better or been stable over time. Local coop is completely unnecessary now as I sit on my 1gig/sec isp and laugh at the way the internet used to be.

There have always been examples of game companies scamming people out of money. Blizzard practically built its rep off of not teabagging their customers with a bad game cash in. That's how they beat out command and conquer and a litany of other companies.

Just this last month has been a grouping of great releases with horizon zero dawn (holy crap this game is amazing), nier automata, sniper elite 4 which continues to build and be hella fun solo and coop and lets not forget nioh, breath of the wild, and a huge addition to handheld monster hunting toukiden 2 has been a tremendous improvement to its formula.

What games are you going to even compare to this one month of games?! We may have just seen the best single month of games yet last month.

Seriously... what even compares? Any list you make will be shit on by the last 2 months.

Literally everything you listed has gotten better or been stable over time.

............................................________
....................................,.-'"...................``~.,
.............................,.-"..................................."-.,
.........................,/...............................................":,
.....................,?......................................................,
.................../...........................................................,}
................./......................................................,:`^`..}
.............../...................................................,:"........./
..............?.....__.........................................:`.........../
............./__.(....."~-,_..............................,:`........../
.........../(_...."~,_........"~,_....................,:`........_/
..........{.._$;_......"=,_......."-,_.......,.-~-,},.~";/....}
...........((.....*~_......."=-._......";,,./`..../"............../
...,,,___.`~,......"~.,....................`.....}............../
............(....`=-,,.......`........................(......;_,,-"
............/.`~,......`-...................................../
.............`~.*-,.....................................|,./.....,__
,,_..........}.>-._...................................|..............`=~-,
.....`=~-,__......`,.................................
...................`=~-,,.,...............................
................................`:,,...........................`..............__
.....................................`=-,...................,%`>--==``
........................................_..........._,-%.......`

...everything i mentioned is a relatively new trend, and is something that's worse now than ever previously; with a possible exception to PSN security (time will tell).

enlighten me. tell me how microtransactions aren't worse than ever. how pay2win isn't worse than ever before, how online only is less likely than before, how local coop isn't rarer than ever, how there isn't more collusion between devs and "journalists" than ever, how dlc is better than ever, how games aren't buggy messes that require fixes, etc and etc.

you're delusional.

edit: re: starcraft, it was best on LAN. try to play sc2 on LAN... oh, right. you can't. and i played it on a 28.8k modem (and a 56k), too. rarely had problems finishing games. the biggest issue was with 8 player games, about 1/3 of the time one of the eight players would either DC or be afk. ironically, dialup had better stability/latency than a lot of games/servers seem to have now.

Seriously... what even compares?

wow. you really are delusional. you could pick literally any time from 1991-2014ish and it would be a better gaming era than right now. 2015/2016 and now is basically a push.

Last edited:
People in the early 1800s were probably incredibly impressed by the earliest attempts at internal combustion engines and vehicles powered by them too. Should that be taken into account when discussing the best era for driving?

No, but the 60's should. That was the decade where the big block engines really started to take off. I'm sure you noticed that I didn't include the 70's in the best video game era's.

It depends on the genre. JRPGs for instance have not gotten better, despite their technical overhaul. Platformers of yesteryear have also held up considerably well.

I agree for the most part though. It hurts my head when I hear people claim that Daggerfall is a better game than Skyrim.

For me, it started with the SNES vs Genesis era (had both) and ending with the N64/PS2 era. Those were the best times.

It was an interesting time. Both consoles would get some of the same titles, but they would be completely different games.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
notnormal
Back