what years do we consider the glorious days of gaming?

Video games keep getting better and better, but looking through rose color glasses I would have to say 87-97. The reason being is that the arcade still played a big factor when it came to gaming. It was a whole different dynamic having a place to go where the video games where more advanced than the things you could get at home.

Last edited:
97-2004 sounds about right for me too. Back then I still did a ton of local multiplayer, and the early days of online multiplayer, where it still had this "new" feeling to it. Surely I wouldn't play today if I wasnt enjoying myself, but it just felt like a different experience back then.

Had a ton of fun playing local multiplayer Goldeneye and then my first ever online experience was Star Wars Jedi Knight 1/2. Wow that was amazing.

best games are out today. obviously

anyone that disagrees is a grandpa that doesnt have the time to put into games today like they did before. sorry. its true.

Q1 2017. Seriously, these past couple months have been goddamned ridiculous.

Most of my favorite games came out 95-99 and arcades were still big enough then (Hydro Thunder and Time Crisis 2 FTW).

It's all relative for the player. For me nothing will top 1993-2000 on PC:

X-Wing & Tie fighter
DOOM 1 & 2
Heretic/Hexen
X-Com
Warcraft 1 & 2
Quake 1-3
Halflife
Diablo 1 & 2
Stracraft
Duke Nukem 3D
Command and Conquer/Red Alert
Fallout 1 & 2
Planescape Tormet
Dungeon Keeper
Crusade No Remorse
System Shock 1 & 2
Grim Fandango
Full Throttle
Baldurs Gate series

Just so many good titles, I know I'm forgetting to list a bunch of gems.

i was always under the impression the glorious days was 97-2004ish?

+1.

I am someone that loves older games but I would have to say we live in the best era now.

BeavisAndButthead.jpg

imo, this is easily the worst era of gaming. by a landslide. unless you like unfinished games getting released and playing through all kinds of bugs...

Last edited:
If we're just talking consoles, I think gaming has been pretty damn consistent since the NES days. It was always a gradual build of bigger and better, with no shortage of great games in each generation. This gen is the first time I've felt the industry stall a bit.

My personal golden years of gaming is probably fifth gen. PS1/N64/Saturn. Perfect age. Lots of free time. My fondest memories are with that gen.

Objectively though, I think 7th gen was the greatest of all.

Perhaps the PlayStation 2 era i.e. the 6th generation console era. You had 5 GTA games that came out, 2 Max Payne games, 4 Metal Gear Solid games, the first 3 Guitar Hero games, Resident Evil 4 and all the different RE games and expansion packs, Red Dead Revolver, Gran Turismo 3, Final Fantasy X, games just seemed very new and exciting and there was a big jump in quality in terms of graphics, voice acting, etc.

This guy gets it.

For me, it started with the SNES vs Genesis era (had both) and ending with the N64/PS2 era. Those were the best times.

I did get a 360, Wii, and have a Xbox One now, but I have been weening out of gaming during this whole span because game purchases are further apart, and I don't dedicate nearly the amount of time I use to with the aforementioned eras. I barely play the One, and I'm not really sure why I got it.

i was always under the impression the glorious days was 97-2004ish?

You are close but no cigar. :)

1986-1989 - Double Dragon, Mega Man, Legend of Zelda - i.e., the best NES games came out in this period.
1996-2001 - Mario 64, Resident Evil, more Zelda games, Shenmue, GTA 3 - i.e., the pinnacle of early 3D is this period.

I want to say that there is another golden age from 2001 on but I have a hard time pinpointing it to a span of 3-5 years which is what should be the requirement.

best games are out today. obviously

anyone that disagrees is a grandpa that doesnt have the time to put into games today like they did before. sorry. its true.

You made a pretty ignorant comment. You are essentially saying that the current gen is always the best gen and therefore everything in the past is shit. By your logic, the "actual" best games are going to be the last games that ever release. lol

+1.

BeavisAndButthead.jpg

imo, this is easily the worst era of gaming. by a landslide. unless you like unfinished games getting released and playing through all kinds of bugs...
you just have to do the legwork to find what you are looking for. The amount of games out right now is so amazing but like any media of course 90% is trash, just like it was back in the day.

Back