what years do we consider the glorious days of gaming?

GhostZ06

Steel Belt
@Steel
Reaction score
i was always under the impression the glorious days was 97-2004ish?

I can go with that. There was a lot of great games at that time.

I am someone that loves older games but I would have to say we live in the best era now.

I am someone that loves older games but I would have to say we live in the best era now.

^This

I've been gaming since the earliest days. The best time is always the present, at least IMO.

Perhaps the PlayStation 2 era i.e. the 6th generation console era. You had 5 GTA games that came out, 2 Max Payne games, 4 Metal Gear Solid games, the first 3 Guitar Hero games, Resident Evil 4 and all the different RE games and expansion packs, Red Dead Revolver, Gran Turismo 3, Final Fantasy X, games just seemed very new and exciting and there was a big jump in quality in terms of graphics, voice acting, etc.

1997-98 was a pretty damn good stretch (using Wiki)

1997 :

FF7
Mario Kart 64
Goldeneye
Turok
Castlevania : SOTN
Fallout
Tekken 3
Star Fox 64
Oddworld
Megaman X4
GTA
MK4
Age of Empires
PaRappa the Rapper
Gran Turismo

1998 :

FF Tactics
RE 2
Ocarina of Time
Tenchu
Parasite Eve
Star Ocean Second Story
Megaman Legends
Metal Gear Solid
RE: Director's Cut
Spyro
Need for Speed : Hot Pursuit
Pokemon Red + Blue
Half-Life
Crash 3
StarCraft
Fallout 2
Suikoden 2
Baldur's Gate
Thief
SW: Rogue Squadron

whatever year quake came out.

1992 to 2002 imo.

Mid 90's to 2005
Half life
Starcraft
Quake
Counter strike
Battle realms
Warcraft 3
Age of empires
Age of mythology
C&C generals

Last edited:
In 1994, I put four 14.4 modem cards in a PC in a 4 bedroom house I rented which would come online super late at night.

We used it for a doom server and posted the phone numbers on various BBS's.

I had 5 phone lines into that house.

Sort of want to agree but DLC and the trend of releasing games before they are finished have fucked it up. I also hate that local co-op isn't a thing anymore.

Different genres have different golden eras imo. No RPG era will ever beat the mid/late 90s to early 2000s with Fallout 1 and 2, Planescape: Torment, Baldur's Gate Trilogy, Deus Ex, etc all releasing during that time.

Shooters have never been better as they are now with the sheer variety of them on the market.

I don't think we've seen the golden era of open world games yet because the tech still holds the games back a bit.

Second half of the 90s for me.

Mid 90s to Present. Still tons of games coming out all the time that I love. Hell 2015-16 might have been my favorite stretch yet

For myself, it was early 90s with the snes vs genesis era.

I was on team genesis until street fighter 2 dropped in the Super Nintendo.

PS1 & Nintendo 64 was one of the greatest era's for gaming. Sony was on a relentless streak of 3rd party rape. Nintendo was holding its own with instant classics, I mean Mario 64 and goldeneye 64 on launch?! I consider it the greatest console launch lineup of all time. Those 2 games are in my Top 10 of all time. I said it before and I'll say it again, I failed school exams because of those 2 games!!

Back