What would it take for you to stop watching MMA?

If I find more entertaining stuff to watch on TV. So far, It hasn't happened.

Same here. There's so much unscripted entertaining stuff that happens with it, that's why I keep watching.

Watching the company I loved go from struggling to be taken seriously as a sport to being taken seriously as a sport briefly before throwing it all away chasing absurd money fights and idiotic mma dabbler name signings and maintaining meaningless belts, with a definite standard that some champs have to uphold while others definitely don't.

That's why I gave up on the fucking McUFC

Watching the company I loved go from struggling to be taken seriously as a sport to being taken seriously as a sport briefly before throwing it all away chasing absurd money fights and idiotic mma dabbler name signings and maintaining meaningless belts, with a definite standard that some champs have to uphold while others definitely don't.

This post deserves a bump today.

came to post this

Just thinking about it and I must say, I'm not only a fight fan but I'm also a fan of the fighters.

I'm not going to watch fights for the sake of watching them. It's more dependent on who is actually fighting.

Whether it's UFC or Bellator, a lot of posters have been clamoring for certain fighters to retire.

By far and wide, my favorite fighters are in their mid to late 30's, 40's or are already retired.

It's no secret that sans TRT a lot of these fighters are shells, so when you couple all these things together and it seems that watching MMA forever isn't likely but that's just speculation.

What would it take or when do you think you'll stop watching MMA?

I will always watch MMA even if it's just watching regional shows live

It would take MMA completely disappearing for me to stop watching.

I'd still watch old fights.

pretty much a couple more years of the same bullshit going on now.

Just thinking about it and I must say, I'm not only a fight fan but I'm also a fan of the fighters.

I'm not going to watch fights for the sake of watching them. It's more dependent on who is actually fighting.

Whether it's UFC or Bellator, a lot of posters have been clamoring for certain fighters to retire.

By far and wide, my favorite fighters are in their mid to late 30's, 40's or are already retired.

It's no secret that sans TRT a lot of these fighters are shells, so when you couple all these things together and it seems that watching MMA forever isn't likely but that's just speculation.

What would it take or when do you think you'll stop watching MMA?
1. going from shoots to works.

2. headliner-only business model (like boxing).

A lot of you don't realize that what it takes years of for us to lose interest, it only takes one instance of it for a potential new fan to lose interest.

If a new fan watches UFC for the first or so time and there's a botched decision.. or a main event guy that he liked tests positive for steroids.. or he orders a PPV and one of the guys doesn't make weight.. he doesn't give the UFC another chance. He just wasted 2 hours of his time or even wasted $60 that he's never getting back.

The longterm effects of this bullshit have to be costing the UFC

In combat sports there is always the probability of death or brain injuries this is why fight orgs like UFC/Bellator need to put fighter safety over profit if there is one industry that needz to adopt deep healthcare it's mma. These fighters should have access to the greatest healthcare possible.

I think all active fighters should be subjected to yearly brain scans, eeg's, or MRI directed at finding possible brain injuries, tumors, lesions, etc. Guys are constantly getting kicked, punched, KO'ed we need to find out they don't have ticking time bombs in their brains.

I agree and I would also like to see a small portion of pay go into a pension system so they don't end up broke and fucked up like so many do

I already practically have. at least, I'm watching way less than I used to.

repeated automatic rematches, ridiculous levels of favoritism, nonsensical title fight matchups, I mean they've almost gone the way of pro wrestling.

I get that it's a business and they want to make money, but there's a way to respect the sport and do that at the same time (they were doing it for years before conor arrived).

In combat sports there is always the probability of death or brain injuries this is why fight orgs like UFC/Bellator need to put fighter safety over profit if there is one industry that needz to adopt deep healthcare it's mma. These fighters should have access to the greatest healthcare possible.

I think all active fighters should be subjected to yearly brain scans, eeg's, or MRI directed at finding possible brain injuries, tumors, lesions, etc. Guys are constantly getting kicked, punched, KO'ed we need to find out they don't have ticking time bombs in their brains.
That's simply not realistic. The vast majority of guys don't bring in enough money to be worth a million dollars worth of medical tests a year.

If it got boring. I stopped watching it after the first 10 events or so because it got boring. Didn't gain interest again until the early 2000s but my interest is not as high as it used to be largely because there are too many events and too many fighters I don't even know. It's hard to get vested in a sport where you don't know the teams/players and don't care if they win or lose.

Didn’t watch the past two cards and will miss this week’s card too. Don’t think I’ve missed three cards in a row since I’ve started watching again.

If it got boring. I stopped watching it after the first 10 events or so because it got boring. Didn't gain interest again until the early 2000s but my interest is not as high as it used to be largely because there are too many events and too many fighters I don't even know. It's hard to get vested in a sport where you don't know the teams/players and don't care if they win or lose.
Exactly my circumstance and it disappoints me.

oversaturation and stricter testing ruined the sport I love. I tuned in to watch stacked once or twice a month cards with guys roided to the fucking gills with needles still sticking out of their asses and cocaine smears on their noses decked out in Boo Boo Ray's Car Battery Depot sponsors swing bombs at each other's faces until someone went down half dead. They actually promoted fighters and made match-ups people wanted to see. Now there's a card every week, no one cares, everyone gasses out in the 1st round and lays on each other (if they make it to the fight at all) it's lost the magic. MMA lost a ton of steam when it tried to go "legit"

If I suddenly became against watching men profit from violence.

The skill level is evolving at a fast rate, would stop watching if mma looked like 2005 mma still.

The only way i will stop watching mma is if/when they start making it safer for the fighters, ie. no more 4oz gloves, making cutting alot of weight banned, no more knees to the face, no elbows etc.

I wouldnt be surprised if in the future they start doing this like the nfl. Nfl has went to shit for me between all the commercials and making it basically flag football.

Back