What would have happened in Vietnam if Goldwater won the election in 1964 in

jeffk

Brown Belt
@Brown
Reaction score

I came across this iconic ad today. Some of the comments on youtube are hilarious.

But what would have happened in Vietnam if Goldwater won the election in 1964?

I watched part of documentary on Goldwater a couple years ago and want to go find it and watch the whole thing. He was a pro-choice and pro gay rights Republican.

He feared the social conservatives would take over the party and he was right to fear that.

Goldwater was the last true Conservative. The current crop are just whores for their donors who cater to the religious right to get votes.

Goldwater At least was trying to conserve old school ideas. As opposed to modern day conservatives, who conserve corporate ball licking, and social pandering.

I like the zoom in to the eye followed by a nuclear explosion.

I think one thing we can all agree on

He would have become President[/quote]

Oh Christ here comes the Myths of Goldwater in all its 37-headed glory again.

I like the zoom in to the eye followed by a nuclear explosion.
Yes, but it was pretty low budget compared to what my mind remembered.
Anyway, apparently we're now set into nuclear war!

If he went along with the civil rights act of 1964 and did argue for states rights would he have won?

Ultimately,the outcome would've been same in the Vietnam war,which's defeat for USA.

Goldwater At least was trying to conserve old school ideas. As opposed to modern day conservatives, who conserve corporate ball licking, and social pandering.

Goldwater paved the way for the modern republican party by turning the south into solid red.

He would have escalated just like Johnson

That war was bigger than any one President

you should watch the show 11.22.63

It was great. One of the best SK screen adaptions I have seen. (I did not read the book, however - just saying it played well as a film.)

Goldwater was a SUPER cold-warrior. He would have invaded the North and called the bluff that was potential nuclear war. USSR was never going to wage a nuclear showdown over vietnam, so his invasion likely would have succeeded in unifying the country under non-communist rule. how long that would have lasted is anyones guess though.

He had negative qualities. Doesn't change the fact that compared to a McCain or Ryan, Goldwater actually had redeemable qualities.

The thing is that the McCain's and Ryan's wouldnt exist if the Republican party didnt had the south in the bag.

Do you honestly think that the poor in poor red states are voting Republican because they agree with their economic policies.

Back