What would be the most effective way for Dillashaw and Garbrandt to implement their styles ?

emax

Black Belt
@Black
Reaction score
I've gotten to wondering what the more experienced members feel about the rematch so i was wondering how would Garbrant and Dillashaw be able to neutralize each other's styles. For Dillashaw, I would imagine it's mostly the same; the only difference would be that he would need to change his striking style in the event Garbrandt is much less reckless than last time. As for Garbrandt, while is boxing is very good as far as MMA guys go, it seems to be really limited in terms of how it could work against a dynamic kickboxer such as Dillashaw. How could a boxer type such as Garbrandt be able to contend with Dillashaw's kicks, feinting and ability to cut angles? What are his options?

I don’t necessarily think they are too far apart skill wise from each other. What my main concern for garbrandt is that he is very explosive and his style of fighting really seems to take a toll on his cardio, along with actually having worse cardio than tj as well.

For Tj:
-Smart pressure to get garbrandt working and tired. Lots of feints and kicks to keep him on his toes like the first fight, but more patient.
-Basically the same exact thing

For Cody it would be:
- Counter Tj’s kicks. Let tj throw his kicks at first, but he needs to be punished or at least feel a little hesitant so he doesn’t just freely throw kicks. Cody countered one leg kick tj threw but the body and head kicks were simply blocked or completely dodged using footwork, allowing TJ to throw them with no set up and no fear of repercusion
-Punch to the body. This will set up the headshots while simultaneously slowing tj down. Cody gets noticeably slower as the fight goes on, so he needs something to keep them on an even playing field in the later rounds.
-Stand his ground. This goes back to the first point of not allowing tj to do whatever the fuck he wants. Against Cruz it was all good to sit back and pace yourself because Cruz can’t lead like Tj can. Tj will slowly pick you apart if you allow him to pressure you and that’s something Cody can’t allow to happen. It needs to be a better balance of pacing himself yet letting tj know he’s going to engage with heat if you try him

What was weird was that even though TJ got floored at the end of the first, it was Cody who was noticeably less sharp by the second round. I don’t know if it was because he was out of shape, super excited that he knocked tj down, or a combination of both, but that looked really bad in my eyes.
In my opinion this fight really just comes down to conditioning and if Cody has improved his conditioning to keep up with TJ who just got a new S&C coach. So we know tj is gonna come in the best shape of his life.
But Cody can KO him early, because we have seen from the first fight that TJ is very aggressive and willing to get hit, and Cody has the power to knock anyone at 135 out. He’s also the fastest starter in the division with how many first round KO’s. I fully expect Cody to win the first round unless he completely shits the bed.

Last edited:
Dilla snake needs to do what he did last time, use those long range kicks to keep necktat outside of boxing range.

Necktat needs to ALMOST completely ignore these kicks and force his way into boxing range. I know those kicks COULD hurt necktat but in their last fight they really didn't look very powerful but they served their purpose of keeping him outside range until Dilla snake was ready to engage with hands on his terms.

Both should use wrestling in combination with their hands to keep the other from really pulling the trigger hard on anything, but I'm going to assume they are both going to the go the hard headed route of standing and banging.

Back