What with the current insane you pricing?

I'm trying to put together a second pc, one for my sitting room.

I have a i5 with basically everything bar the graphics card.. I'm using the integrated graphics at the moment..

Just been surfing various outlets scan, overclockers, buyer etc, looking at the mid range around £190 .. can get a gtx 1060 3gb for 179 or a 1050ti for 149 but other than that nobody has any stock!

And then I look at gum tree etc, and people are selling their second hand cards for £££££££££ shit loads .. like a rx480 is nearly 390 ! Are people really paying these prices for old cards ?

What the fuck is going on?

I gave up on AMD and bought a GTX 1080. It is the shit, and is faster than AMD cards currently costing $150 more (if you can find them in stock).

I gave up on AMD and bought a GTX 1080. It is the shit, and is faster than AMD cards currently costing $150 more (if you can find them in stock).
The GTX 1080 is a great card but it isn't as fast as a Vega 64. It does better with games because Nvidia pays for games to be optimized for their cards only. It's kinda why there's only two brands these days.

Yeah man if I had the money a 1080 all day long, I have a 1070 in my main pc so I suppose I could save a little more buy a 1080.. mmmm it's got me thinking..

Yeah man if I had the money a 1080 all day long, I have a 1070 in my main pc so I suppose I could save a little more buy a 1080.. mmmm it's got me thinking..
It isn't worth the upgrade. Save your money up until the 11 series comes out and get a 1180ti when they come out

It isn't worth the upgrade. Save your money up until the 11 series comes out and get a 1180ti when they come out

What do you know about next gen stuff? I have looked but not found much..

What do you know about next gen stuff? I have looked but not found much..
nVidia has been using the same product naming system since the early 2000's. There's a lot of numbers used in computer parts, but once you figure out how to decode the product names it makes things a lot easier.
Let's take a GTX 970 for example. The 9 represents the generation of hardware and the 70 represents the performance level. Your GTX 1070 would be 10th generation, 70 performance level.
So when following the naming trends, it's easy to assume what their next products will be.

AMD has changed the way theirs are numbered, but the new cards are the labelled in the same way as nVidia.
An RX480 would be 4th gen, 80 performance level. An RX580 would be 5th gen, 80 performance level.

Last edited:
The GTX 1080 is a great card but it isn't as fast as a Vega 64. It does better with games because Nvidia pays for games to be optimized for their cards only. It's kinda why there's only two brands these days.

Well, considering that it is over $200 less than the vega 64 aircooled, uses a fraction of the wattage, I'll take it as a win that it is actually faster on most games.

4K.png

Well, considering that it is over $200 less than the vega 64 aircooled, uses a fraction of the wattage, I'll take it as a win that it is actually faster on most games.

4K.png
The current state of GPUs isn't a win for consumers no matter what you're buying. These things should cost a third of what they do but enough people stick with nvidia that the market can't rebound from their monopoly.

The current state of GPUs isn't a win for consumers no matter what you're buying. These things should cost a third of what they do but enough people stick with nvidia that the market can't rebound from their monopoly.

I dunno. I bought my 1080 for around the price of a xbox one x and it is over twice as fast. It's also much cheaper than PS3 was in its release year. So I'm pretty satisfied.

The only thing I don't like is how gsync monitor pricing is all messed up. I bought my 4k freesync screen for less than half the cost of current 1440p gsync screens.

I dunno. I bought my 1080 for around the price of a xbox one x and it is over twice as fast. It's also much cheaper than PS3 was in its release year. So I'm pretty satisfied.

The only thing I don't like is how gsync monitor pricing is all messed up. I bought my 4k freesync screen for less than half the cost of current 1440p gsync screens.

Buy the dell monitors. They are cheaper and dell actually QC's their stuff. The other brands are a bit of an embarrassment at the moment.

nVidia has been using the same product naming system since the early 2000's. There's a lot of numbers used in computer parts, but once you figure out how to decode the product names it makes things a lot easier.
Let's take a GTX 970 for example. The 9 represents the generation of hardware and the 70 represents the performance level. Your GTX 1070 would be 10th generation, 70 performance level.
So when following the naming trends, it's easy to assume what their next products will be.

AMD has changed the way theirs are numbered, but the new cards are the labelled in the same way as nVidia.
An RX480 would be 4th gen, 80 performance level. An RX580 would be 5th gen, 80 performance level.

Yeah that's good info, I see how the product numbers match etc, I have read a little bit about Volta, Nvidia seem to be manufacturing their next card based on the tesla car technology or something like that, sounds exciting to say the least.

Just get a PS4 Pro

Back