What with the current insane you pricing?

Nimrod

Wistfull With A Fist-Full
@Silver
Reaction score
I'm trying to put together a second pc, one for my sitting room.

I have a i5 with basically everything bar the graphics card.. I'm using the integrated graphics at the moment..

Just been surfing various outlets scan, overclockers, buyer etc, looking at the mid range around £190 .. can get a gtx 1060 3gb for 179 or a 1050ti for 149 but other than that nobody has any stock!

And then I look at gum tree etc, and people are selling their second hand cards for £££££££££ shit loads .. like a rx480 is nearly 390 ! Are people really paying these prices for old cards ?

What the fuck is going on?

I have a i5 with basically everything bar the graphics card.. I'm using the integrated graphics at the moment..

Just been surfing various outlets scan, overclockers, buyer etc, looking at the mid range around £190 .. can get a gtx 1060 3gb for 179 or a 1050ti for 149 but other than that nobody has any stock!

And then I look at gum tree etc, and people are selling their second hand cards for £££££££££ shit loads .. like a rx480 is nearly 390 ! Are people really paying these prices for old cards ?

Crypto currency miners are buying them up.

Aren't graphic cards basically useless for miners? I thought you needed fast processors?

What sort of thing are you looking for? That seems a standard price for a 1060 3gb.

Aren't graphic cards basically useless for miners? I thought you needed fast processors?

What sort of thing are you looking for? That seems a standard price for a 1060 3gb.
You realize GPUs have fast processors on them right? They also have a ridiculous core count. Different cryptos like different processors. Bitcoin, I believe, uses standard CPU or now ASICs, but most of the altcoins use GPU processors. I ran a mining setup a few years ago with 20 GPUs. I lost money when the coin market crashed, but it was a fun experiment. I am honestly surpised the market has come back. It will crash again. I think it is just a pipedream.

You realize GPUs have fast processors on them right? They also have a ridiculous core count. Different cryptos like different processors. Bitcoin, I believe, uses standard CPU or now ASICs, but most of the altcoins use GPU processors. I ran a mining setup a few years ago with 20 GPUs. I lost money when the coin market crashed, but it was a fun experiment. I am honestly surpised the market has come back. It will crash again. I think it is just a pipedream.

My camera has a fast processor on it. You know what I meant.

Something mid range, I have just put a pre order in on Amazon for a rx580 8gb, this was £219, but I have to wait till November when stock is back in.. grrr

My camera has a fast processor on it. You know what I meant.

I didnt mean to come off as rude, but yes GPUs are key for cryptomining, which is exactly why GPU prices are ridiculous right now. Eventually there will be a crash and everyone will dump their cards on ebay and market prices will stabilize.

I sold an 8gb rx 480 for $700. So yeah, dumbasses are buying them.

I didnt mean to come off as rude, but yes GPUs are key for cryptomining, which is exactly why GPU prices are ridiculous right now. Eventually there will be a crash and everyone will dump their cards on ebay and market prices will stabilize.

Just like eventually SSD prices will come down and RAM prices will come back down?

No, no.

People are happily buying these things at the current prices, to such an extent, that as OP said there is no stock in many models. GPU's are selling out at current prices, why would they lower the prices?

That's not how capitalism works. As long as people are willing to spend $400 on a $300 part, they will continue to charge $400. And the people are willing.

Last edited:
Cheers for that boss.. that 970 is a great price.. im on it..
Make sure you have at least a 500 watt power supply and check to make sure it has an 8 pin vga power connector.

Make sure you have at least a 500 watt power supply and check to make sure it has an 8 pin vga power connector.

Ok .. i have an aerocool 500, it has 1 8 pin connection.. should be fine..

Don't know sh1t about PC specs but found this thread interesting with regards to cryptocurrency mining and the price of hardware.

Just like eventually SSD prices will come down and RAM prices will come back down?

No, no.

People are happily buying these things at the current prices, to such an extent, that as OP said there is no stock in many models. GPU's are selling out at current prices, why would they lower the prices?

That's not how capitalism works. As long as people are willing to spend $400 on a $300 part, they will continue to charge $400. And the people are willing.

This happened before about 3-4 years ago. Prices did come back down once the crypt craze ended. GPUs are out of stock because miners are eating them up.

This happened before about 3-4 years ago. Prices did come back down once the crypt craze ended. GPUs are out of stock because miners are eating them up.

Gaming is getting so popular and competitive, especially the pc master race crowd, kids are willing to overpay just to get the component they want when they want.

No worries. I guess what I read was either out dated or not entirely accurate. I had a fleeting interest in it so never really investigated further, but the thing I read said something along the lines of fast, high number of cores cpu with a decent low to mid range gpu (which I guess would mean a 1050-1060 these days).

I did read about people using large numbers of raspberry pi for mining machines.

Back