What were the Japanese's reasons for removing 2 handed clinch in K-1?

FokaiMuayThai

MOO TAI LEGENDARY
@purple
Reaction score
I looked back on some old K-1 WGP and MAX videos and it seems like they allowed the clinch/knees considerably longer in the past.

Guys like Kohi would fully take advantage of the clinching.

I know that elbows were never allowed because they were seen as dirty fighting and the blood from cuts not suitable for TV at that time, but were there any documented or announced reasons for the change to one-handed touch knee or are there just theories/speculation by fans?

EDIT (additional comments):

I'm asking because the Japanese in a large part created Kickboxing, after K-1 the Dutch (then everyone else) started adopting the 3 rounds, no elbows, no clinch brand of fighting. The Japanese basically shaped what the world views as international kickboxing today (except for American kickboxing, which developed separately from point karate + boxing)

I'm also wondering why shows like Glory and It's showtime just accepted things they way they were for so many years and continue with this format too?? They don't necessarily have to make their fights like this.

Do you guys think this is the optimal format? Or is it a case of not changing something that has always been or "if it doesn't seem broke, don't fix it?"

These rounds and rules seemed OK for tournaments, but now I see so many single matches/superfights like this.

3 round fights means more fights on tv. the 5x3 thingy is less tv friendly i guess. that's the main reason. what is weird that on non-televised events and smaller shows, they often too have 3 round fights. that's a shame

you forget to mention that title fights in glory are 5 round fights.

As I remember rules considering clinching were changed for the first time after Buakaw destroyed Masato. There was limited clinching after and I believe after Alistair Overeem came to K-1 they introduced rules as they are today

It's an absurd rule. There are a number of fights where one guy keeps coming forward and then when the other fighter naturally clinches he gets warned and sometimes deducted. Kohi/Kalakoda and Glunder/Kimoru were so frustrating to watch with the clinch rules.

After Buakaw in 2004. He dominated so much especially against there star boy Masato. Just watch how much Buakaw is allowed to clinch in 2004 then watch him in 2005-07. Buakaw unintentionally molded the rules of K1 and other kickboxing organisations copied for 2 main reasons. 1 they think it can be boring and if you dont know much about the clinch it might seem boring. And 2 to have it at a disadvantage to Thai's.

as i recall it, some said back then that it had to do with schilt dominating

from outside nobody could touch him and from up close he would just put his glove on the head and knee. could be combo of buakaw/schilt, cant remember exactly

as i recall it, some said back then that it had to do with schilt dominating

from outside nobody could touch him and from up close he would just put his glove on the head and knee. could be combo of buakaw/schilt, cant remember exactly
I remember it like this as well. Didn't have anything to do with Overeem, as K-1 very much liked a roided monster kneeing people into another dimension. A giant abusing people based on his size on the other hand...

Wasn't the Overeem thing, they make one hand clinch only? (this after they did other time limit and one strike limit on clinch)

Last edited:
to stop the domination of Buakaw on K-1 max and Schilt on GP who dominated the competition who used a lot of clinch.

They first limited it to double collar neck tie with 1 knee then separate due to Schilt in WGP and Buakaw in MAX.

Then they limited it further to a single collar neck tie with 1 knee and separate due to Overeem.

This is the proper timeline, don't let anyone tell you different.

buakaw caused the to instate the much more limited clinching that then lead to the 1 knee rule. It was either the final 16 or final 8 of the 2009 wgp that they instated the one hand clinch rule. At that point in time schilt had really quit relying on the clinch knees and was brought about to hamper overeem as he was the only fighter in k1 really using it at the time as buakaw had left max and was in shootboxing.

The rule was first instated in K-1 WGP, before it was in MAX.

We went over this in detail years ago...

buakaw caused the to instate the much more limited clinching that then lead to the 1 knee rule. It was either the final 16 or final 8 of the 2009 wgp that they instated the one hand clinch rule. At that point in time schilt had really quit relying on the clinch knees and was brought about to hamper overeem as he was the only fighter in k1 really using it at the time as buakaw had left max and was in shootboxing.
not true

enlighten us then genius! I was wrong about the year thou it was right before the final 8 of the 2010 tournament that the 1 handed rule started after going over some film.

my memory is terrible but from what i remember k1 was was looking to change the rules after buakaw slaughtered masato but never but them in place until after a terrible fight between schilt and i think michael mcdonald gave them a valid reason to do it

my memory is terrible but from what i remember k1 was was looking to change the rules after buakaw slaughtered masato but never but them in place until after a terrible fight between schilt and i think michael mcdonald gave them a valid reason to do it
your memory is not very good indeed

your memory is not very good indeed
yea I've got to remember to look shit up like opponents when i am really stoned. it was hoost that fought schist at dynamite 2005 and the new rules were put into place for the first event of 2006

yea I've got to remember to look shit up like opponents when i am really stoned. it was hoost that fought schist at dynamite 2005 and the new rules were put into place for the first event of 2006
smoking weed, thats the muay thai and kickboxing spirit

lol all Jeffie posts are one line insults without contributing any knowledge. Subtle trolling at its finest.

Thanks for the responses. So instead of just getting better at dealing with the clinch, the Japanese were just like "fuck it". Lame, that's a step backward in sports IMO

Title fights are indeed 5 rounds, but title fights are like 1/10th of fights.

lol all Jeffie posts are one line insults without contributing any knowledge. Subtle trolling at its finest.

Thanks for the responses. So instead of just getting better at dealing with the clinch, the Japanese were just like "fuck it". Lame, that's a step backward in sports IMO

Title fights are indeed 5 rounds, but title fights are like 1/10th of fights.
what are you talking about, my first post was about the influence of broadcasting on the amount of rounds in a kb fights and my second post in your thread was mentioning schilts dominance that contributed to rule change. couldnt be more ontopic than that fuckaimuaythai

sure, both of those posts are trolling. get the fuck out of your own thread, you are talking crap

Back