What were the biggest fanbases rivalries?

Three pages in and not one person has provided the real answer.

The biggest war of fan bases I have ever seen on sherdog was Chuck vs Wand.

A lot of you guys probably caught Wand and Chuck's tail ends of their careers, but for several years these two were so good, on such a roll and feared by the entire MMA world.

This was the biggest dream fight ever. The most anticipated fight of all time. When it finally did happen, the two were past their prime, had been brutally KO'ed numerous times and were visibly slower and fragile, yet they still put on an amazing performance and slugged it out for three rounds.

From 2001 to 2007 (and even for a while after that) this was the biggest dispute on these forums. We were almost blessed with this fight in 2003 but Chuck could not make it past Rampage in the MW tournament.

Its a shame Chuck had to be in the Overeem, Murilo and Rampage bracket and not the Sakuraba, Kiyoshi Tamura, Yoshida bracket like Wandy

While not specifically limited to fan bases, the Chutebox/ Hammer house thing back in PRIDE FC generated some pretty interesting heated discussion pitting MMA fan basses of style against one another.

Its a shame Chuck had to be in the Overeem, Murilo and Rampage bracket and not the Sakuraba, Kiyoshi Tamura, Yoshida bracket like Wandy

don't play that card. Overeem was not good at the time--at all, he was Pride's 205 pound whipping boy (I'm a fan of his since Pride, just sayin). So Chuck's bracket really only had Rampage as a dangerous threat, with Overeem and middleweight Bustamante 5 days notice. Chuck already had beaten Bustamante prior so that's comparable to Wanderlei already having beaten Sakuraba.

Yoshida was a relative unknown who managed 3-0 (all submissions, legit opponents in Tamura and Frye) then went the full distance against a prime Wanderlei Silva. He was no slouch early on (he was already old when he debuted mma, would quickly declined soon after and worsened his health/career with HW matchups).

Tamura has wins over UFC vets and pioneers Militech, Dave Menne and Jeremy Horn. His string of bad losses came mainly due to fighting LHWs and HWs in Bob Sapp, Big Nog 2x, Babalu 2x, Wanderlei, Yvel.

Wandy vs Chuck fans

Wandy vs Rampage fans

Shogun vs Machida fans

Penn vs GSP fans

Brock vs Fedor fans

GSP vs A. Silva fans

Ricco vs Nog fans

You claimed you “knew for a fact” that he greased and paid off the judges. So your proof is he was “gleaming”? Come on now.

Just look at him bro, watch the fight again.

I watched the fight. But I think you're misunderstanding my point.
GSP fans man....can't take the fact that BJ would likely win the rubber match, so delusional.

BJ is motivated (for reals) and he's Jacksoned up, He'd literally kill GSP now, literally.

Okay, now we know you're trolling. I don't care at all, but when you claim to "know for a fact", expect someone to ask for proof.

Nothing tops BJ/GSP.

Diaz diehards versus the civilized population. :p

I've lost control of this discussion, just post any shit you imagine here

don't play that card. Overeem was not good at the time--at all, he was Pride's 205 pound whipping boy (I'm a fan of his since Pride, just sayin). So Chuck's bracket really only had Rampage as a dangerous threat, with Overeem and middleweight Bustamante 5 days notice. Chuck already had beaten Bustamante prior so that's comparable to Wanderlei already having beaten Sakuraba.

Yoshida was a relative unknown who managed 3-0 (all submissions, legit opponents in Tamura and Frye) then went the full distance against a prime Wanderlei Silva. He was no slouch early on (he was already old when he debuted mma, would quickly declined soon after and worsened his health/career with HW matchups).

Tamura has wins over UFC vets and pioneers Militech, Dave Menne and Jeremy Horn. His string of bad losses came mainly due to fighting LHWs and HWs in Bob Sapp, Big Nog 2x, Babalu 2x, Wanderlei, Yvel.

Don't try make it sound like Wandy didnt have an easier path then Chuck and Rampage. Overeem was a MUCH bigger threat then anyone in Wandy's side and you are kidding yourself if you think otherwise. He was also on a 12 fight win streak all wins by finish and hadn't lost in Pride yet.

Wandy had to beat a guy he already crushed twice and a guy in his 4th fight ever. They wanted Wandy in the finals and they gave him the easiest path possible to do so. To win, Chuck would have had to beat Overeem, Rampage and Wandy. Rampage would have had to beat Bustamante, Chuck and Wandy. Compared to the others Wandy had an easy path

GSP vs BJ Penn

No question.

I'm not counting the fan rivalries of two guys that have never fought each other (ex Fedor vs Randy), That's just a heated fantasy argument, nor am I counting a fighters fans vs a legion of haters who were never fans of the fighters opponent to begin with...and often would be the first to discred the lower (Ronda vs anyone she beat)

Don't try make it sound like Wandy didnt have an easier path then Chuck and Rampage. Overeem was a MUCH bigger threat then anyone in Wandy's side and you are kidding yourself if you think otherwise. He was also on a 12 fight win streak all wins by finish and hadn't lost in Pride yet.

Wandy had to beat a guy he already crushed twice and a guy in his 4th fight ever. They wanted Wandy in the finals and they gave him the easiest path possible to do so. To win, Chuck would have had to beat Overeem, Rampage and Wandy. Rampage would have had to beat Bustamante, Chuck and Wandy. Compared to the others Wandy had an easy path

all I'm saying is Overeem's best win going into the 2003GP was--I can't even name one--he was an unknown prospect and Liddell's opening match--it was fairly easy on paper, Liddell was established in UFC and was only seen as 2nd to Couture. Tamura had a far better resume at the time than Overeem.

Bustamante would have a been an easy fight for Liddell too--a division below, 5 days notice to replace his buddy Arona, had already lost to Liddell.

I'm not saying Wand didn't have an easy route, I'm just saying you're calling out Wanderlei's opponents but when you look at it fairly, Chuck and Rampage's side were not exactly stacked by any means. Can't let the success of HW Ubereem, K1 Reem and today's EcoReem make it seem like Liddell's road was so tough back in 2003. Rampage was the only real tough opponent and Wand blew through him. Also, Sakuraba has a win over Rampage; Chuck was bracketed with a guy that Sakuraba tapped out yet you're crapping on Sakuraba as Wand's oppoent. Just saying, look at it fairly.

Anderson vs Fedor has been pretty heated, but I dont think anything tops GSP vs BJ fans leading up to their second fight. This place was a clusterfuck.

Condit/Diaz
GSP/Diaz
GSP/BJ
Shogun/Machida
Jones/Machida
Conor/Aldo
Rousey/Logical People

all I'm saying is Overeem's best win going into the 2003GP was--I can't even name one--he was an unknown prospect and Liddell's opening match--it was fairly easy on paper, Liddell was established in UFC and was only seen as 2nd to Couture. Tamura had a far better resume at the time than Overeem.

Bustamante would have a been an easy fight for Liddell too--a division below, 5 days notice to replace his buddy Arona, had already lost to Liddell.

I'm not saying Wand didn't have an easy route, I'm just saying you're calling out Wanderlei's opponents but when you look at it fairly, Chuck and Rampage's side were not exactly stacked by any means. Can't let the success of HW Ubereem, K1 Reem and today's EcoReem make it seem like Liddell's road was so tough back in 2003. Rampage was the only real tough opponent and Wand blew through him. Also, Sakuraba has a win over Rampage; Chuck was bracketed with a guy that Sakuraba tapped out yet you're crapping on Sakuraba as Wand's oppoent. Just saying, look at it fairly.

Tamura? The guy Wandy already KOd? So Wandy had a guy he crushed twice, a guy he already KOd and a guy with three fights in his bracket? Come on man, you can downplay Overeem all you want, he still would have ran through everyone on the other side of the bracket. Pride wanted Wandy to win and Chuck to lose. Thats undeniable

Back