What type of single leg defense is this?

Cash Bill 52

Brown Belt
@Brown
Reaction score
Am I late to the party? Who is this Jason Nolf from Penn State? There is definitely a jiu Jitsu application in there somewhere. Over the back, grabs the toe, crucifix... looks brutal and effective.

Which guy are you asking about? I see BJJ attacks he's open for but obviously he's not concerned about that in a wrestling match

Wow, nice. Nolf had his leg under the far armpit and grabbed the far leg for something essentially like a no-gi bow and arrow roll. Sweet.

Nolf has a really funky wrestling ground game, I think he would adapt quite well to grappling and mma.

Nolf is the #7 point scorer of all time in the NCAA tournament currently and will move up this year.

What he did in the video was a "standard" Iranian defense where you are attacking the ankles and hipping in. There is no real set term for what he did, it would be considered a scramble, but I can guarantee you he has drilled and hit this in practice all the time. This is the one thing that 10th Planet does well. They have a name for everything. There are literally hundreds of moves in BJJ and wrestling that happen at every tournament or meet during the year that no one has a name for.

Nolf is an absolute machine. 2x NCAA champ and 3x finalist going into his senior year. His record is something like 86-3.

There's a ton to be learned for Jiu Jitsu from watching/studying funk positions. It's a pity there's not more energy dedicated to it.

I'd add what's a bit crazy is Nolf has been a bit overshadowed by some of his teammates like Zain Retherford and Bo Nickal (and others) who are also absolute savages. The whole Penn State lineup has been and is staggering in the depth of talent and dynamicism.

Over the last few years we have seen quite a bit of "funk" from PSU wrestlers on the mat. I know Ricky Lundell at the very least WAS at PSU for the Sanderson's first years after moving over from Iowa State. Does anyone know if Lundell still spends time over at PSU and in what capacity? Im not saying he is responsible for this mat work but I know Cael valued his contributions and innovations while they were at Iowa State.

There are literally hundreds of moves in BJJ and wrestling that happen at every tournament or meet during the year that no one has a name for.

That's even a problem with guards in BJJ.
There are like 3 different ways of keeping a knee shield in half guard which require a fundamentally different approach for the guy on top.
It's super confusing for people ignore the difference and treat it as "half guard" or "knee shield".

In terms of mechanics it's not dissimilar to how one might do a rolling arm bar from the back; in fact, Nolf has used this move in exactly that manner in some of his matches to turn his opponent over while in top position.

And of course, just like that move complex, you can use essentially the same opening to transition into a north/south double wrist lock or mounted triangle or mounted guillotine/nelson hold as well, depending on your particular speciality. (The latter in fact again being a favored method by Nolf when finishing this move for a pin.)

Last edited:
I can't see the video in the OP, but is this what you guys are talking about?

Back