What type of gun-control would actually stop mass shootings?

mommas homeboy

Women with dicks are women too!
Reaction score
This is not another thread about how things have gotten out of hand and we need action not thoughts and prayers. I know that whatever it would take to stop mass shootings would never happen.

I’m simply wondering what gun laws would (hypothetically) have to be in order to stop this decades-long trend.

Again, I know none of these changes would EVER happen in the U.S.

Is it safe to say that aside from banning all sales of guns immediately, and having government-monitored tracking devices on all existing firearms, nothing would work?

Popular support has to exist for change. Legislation without public support is doomed to fail, so there has to be a cultural shift first.

Stricter nics reporting standards

Seriously pursue straw purchasers

Civilian nics "passes" that would allow a private transaction to have a nics background check without every single adult being able to access nics

Civilian nics "passes" that would allow a private transaction to have a nics background check without every single adult being able to access nics

You think these would really work? It seems to me like more drastic measures would have to be enacted.

Would really depend on how the access would be granted and what data private citizens would have access to . . . I'm not a fan of some private citizen having access to the same data I collect on the 4473s I complete during sales/transfers. Additionally, if this was implemented why require me to have an FFL in the first place?

Would really depend on how the access would be granted and what data private citizens would have access to . . . I'm not a fan of some private citizen having access to the same data I collect on the 4473s I complete during sales/transfers. Additionally, if this was implemented why require me to have an FFL in the first place?
Well, only an FFL can operate a firearm business legally.

The way i have the background check pass working is you go to the DMV, they run the nics search on you, they then print out a week long pass that you can show someone that you passed the nics check in the last week.

Perfect, no, but it seems reasonable

You think these would really work? It seems to me like more drastic measures would have to be enacted.

To address gun violence specifically at schools or anywhere?

I understand folks don't want to hear about physical security improvements at schools due to the cost, but I really fail to see how a school district can pass a local bond issue for construction of a new sports facility and nobody bats an eye, but when it comes to physical security it can't be done.

You guys really need to stop focusing on the guns and start focusing on why these types of shootings are happening in present day America.

Well, only an FFL can operate a firearm business legally.

But that's only due to the additional paperwork requirements and access to the NICs system. Otherwise, private sales are perfectly acceptable unless you're routinely doing it for profit.

The way i have the background check pass working is you go to the DMV, they run the nics search on you, they then print out a week long pass that you can show someone that you passed the nics check in the last week.

Perfect, no, but it seems reasonable

Interesting . . . I could see a designation being added to a license like is currently done for organ donors . . . would definitely make sales go more smoothly. I really wish Oklahoma would accept a concealed carry license in lieu of me completing the 4473.

You guys really need to stop focusing on the guns and start focusing on why these types of shootings are happening in present day America.

And figure out why various youths can't seem to handle society in general . . .

Are we talking eliminating mass murders or just affecting them?

Let’s say, cutting them down by 80%.

I mean, it would literally be impossible to stop all mass shootings. If only a tiny percentage of the population had access to guns, and that percentage was given extensive training and had extremely strict background checks, than maybe we could stop the shootings 100%. Of course, we’d have to collect and destroy all existing guns not owned by that “highly qualified” group of gun owners.

I’d say an 80% reduction of mass shootings would keep even the most liberal leftists happy for at least a little while.

@mommas homeboy

Now that you've come to the conclusion that you can't ban or confiscate, you should start focusing on why these types of shootings are happening in present day America.

Well, if you think social programs that reach out to and track troubled youth would solve the problem, that’s a fair argument. But it’s hard to believe that that alone would stop the mass shootings.

It would likely be a combination of more drastic gun-control laws AND more resources used to help stop the shooters’ mental condition’s existence.

Not one single law, the mere existence of guns does not motivate people to kill.

It has been stated in this thread already, causation is more important than the shooting part. Right now guns are used because it’s the easy answer for those looking to commit violence, but even if we could *poof* guns out of existence there would still be mass killings and attacks.

Driving trucks into crowds, planting homemade explosives, Cubo has pointed out before that 3D printers will allow guns to be produced at home and you can already purchase the parts to build an 80% gun, knife attacks.

Removal of guns might drop the news of school attacks from “eight killed in school shooting” to “three killed in school stabbing”. Is that what we are aiming for in cutting down violence? Just less dead when it happens or do we want less attacks?

Well, if you think social programs that reach out to and track troubled youth would solve the problem, that’s a fair argument. But it’s hard to believe that that alone would stop the mass shootings.

It would likely be a combination of more drastic gun-control laws AND more resources used to help stop the shooters’ mental condition’s existence.

Drastic gun-control laws aren't needed. Switzerland and other countries are doing fine without drastic gun-control laws. These countries could get rid of some of the useless laws they have now and things would stay the same.

I don't have all the answers but..

It starts with over sensationalized media.

This is not another thread about how things have gotten out of hand and we need action not thoughts and prayers. I know that whatever it would take to stop mass shootings would never happen.

I’m simply wondering what gun laws would (hypothetically) have to be in order to stop this decades-long trend.

Again, I know none of these changes would EVER happen in the U.S.

Is it safe to say that aside from banning all sales of guns immediately, and having government-monitored tracking devices on all existing firearms, nothing would work?

i think we should first focus on securing the buildings.

i made a thread awhile back about this so i'm just going to copy and paste.

I feel that making schools more secure and passing gun control legislation are two different agendas that are not necessarily correlated. i think fusing the two issues complicates things. school building safety legislation and gun control legislation are two separate ideas.

for instance:

raising the age for gun purchases doesn't stop someone from obtaining the gun illegally or stealing it from their parents if the household has firearms.

stricter background and mental health checks aren't a guarantee either because a person might be fine one day and lose their shit a year later.

outlawing certain weapons and modifications can decrease access to high powered weapons but there are still plenty of other dangerous weapons that can be used by individuals .

the 2016 terrorist attack in nice, france was done with a truck and resulted in 86 deaths.
the 2017 terrorist attack in new york was also done with a truck and resulted in 8 deaths.

everyone is focused on guns because they are most often used in school shootings but the individuals who commit such crimes and are committed to causing such chaos will either find a way to obtain guns or use other means so although gun control legislation may be necessary and the fight for-or-against it is beneficial to the politicians, it is not a full proof solution.

would this idea be sensible?

a regulatory law that outlined mandatory operating procedures on a national scale for all schools.
perhaps it could mandate:
1. only one or two active entrances/exits can be used while all other doors are for emergency use only.
2. a mandatory foyer/checkpoint area with metal detectors and xray machines if students or teachers have backpacks.

some might say this would make schools more like prisons, but not necessarily as it would only be making the entrance area more like a prison and not the entirety of the building. and besides, checkpoint areas with metal detectors are often used in courthouses - maybe even mandated. plus, a lot of schools in high crime areas already have them installed.

having mandatory checkpoint/processing areas might be impractical as it would congest the entrance way and require additional time for all students to enter the building, but these issues would iron themselves out over time as people adjusted to the new control mechanism

there would probably be an added cost with remodeling the current buildings, but that can be addressed with something like tax credits or federal grants.

if there are guidelines and regulations for how to securely build prisons, doesn't it also make sense to make federal guidelines/regulations for how to build secure schools? after all, the goal is to protect the students and makes the building safer.

Back