What to look for when slipping punches

Towel88

White Belt
@White
Reaction score
I do this drill where the pad holder either throws a straight right or a jab and I just react by slipping to the outside and simultaneously throwing a punch.....pretty simple and fun

Anyways i have experimented with what to watch so I can tell as quick as possible which punch is coming. Usually its the chest, when i get up to the shoulders i start watching the gloves and then i start trying to predict which one will be thrown and focus on that hand, so it kinda fucks me up....I've found watching the hips works pretty well too.

Where do u guys watch for the easiest tells?? And any other tips that help you slip punches appreciated

Mostly the body in general but I have a habit of trying to slip everything outside the lead hand so there are probably better answers to be found.

Not sure about slipping as I don't do it much but for striking in general, I keep my eyes between their shoulders for the most part and kind of just "unfocus" to use my peripheral to see the shoulders moving for punches or the hips for kicks.

Mostly the body in general but I have a habit of trying to slip everything outside the lead hand so there are probably better answers to be found.

Congrats on becoming a forum mod...when did that happen?

Not sure about slipping as I don't do it much but for striking in general, I keep my eyes between their shoulders for the most part and kind of just "unfocus" to use my peripheral to see the shoulders moving for punches or the hips for kicks.

Congrats on becoming a forum mod...when did that happen?

A few days ago. The required blood rituals are quite elaborate. :)

Back