What to Eat the Day of a Fight?

ThaiBoxerBriefs

White Belt
Reaction score
I have my first amateur Muay Thai fight on Saturday and I was just wondering if anyone had any advice on what to eat the day of? I'm at my ideal weight and weigh in is at 5 and fight starts at 7. Thanks.

I also have my first fight this saturday. Its an MMA smoker. From my wrestling days I have heard that one of the best things to eat/drink is pedialite. Its great at hydrating you, better then gatorade. People swore by it after cutting weight, then needing to gain it back and re-hydrate. Its what children drink when they get diarrhea.

Also, lots of carbs. Not just sugar though. Complex carbs should be eaten all day. If you cant eat much before the weigh ins, think about having a handful of nuts. They have alot of calories for such a small amount, it should hold you over. After the weigh in, pedialite and carbs is my suggestion.

low glycemic foods all day long.... then 2 hours before your fight eat some brown rice as well as some egg protein 3 hours before...

Normally the last week before a fight or competition you are training really really hard. Experiment then for future fights since if you take something and get bad gas, or you don't have any energy its not that big of a deal.

No matter what you read or what people say the one thing I'd recommend is to not do anything much different than you've done before for the aforementioned reasons. Learning small things like pre-fight rituals and whatnot is also part of the game. You gotta experiment and find out what works best for you.

Yeah I just went through the same thing about 2 months ago, I ate some oatmeal and protein powder mix. Pretty much what I eat before training, I am alergic to peanuts and what not, but other guys ate some simple energy bars 30 mins - 1 hour before their fight.

Good luck.

Day of the Fight
Before the fight: some oatmeal, bananas, egg whites, maybe a bit of chicken and some veggies
After the fight: tacos, pizza, beers, burgers, french fries, cheesecake

Oats are what a champion thoroughbred eats before he runs the Kentucky Derby. Steak will make you loagy.

Thread winner.

When I ran cross-country our coach had us eating pasta the night before and dairy the day of with lots of some sort of sports drink before.

ugggghhh. a bunch of dairy the day of competition sounds pretty awful. I would feel bloated and gassy

We ate large bowls of pasta the day of the fight with meatballs. Felt fine.

ugggghhh. a bunch of dairy the day of competition sounds pretty awful. I would feel bloated and gassy

Dairy as in cheeses. Milk was a definitive NO. Coach said something about the body preferring the fats for energy during the intense workout for energy rather than the carbs. The pasta the night before was to load the carbs in so that the body would have those, and the high fat intake the day of the race was for during race endurance.

Pretty good stuff. I like to spend a little money on supplements so when im cutting i use: Catalyst and a meal replacement shake from Advocare along with whatever fatburner im on at the time. I eat almost exactly like they were talking about above, but I do cut about 15-20 lbs over the course of 2 1/2 weeks for fights (5-7 day of/night before) . Not like when i wrestled in college bc you compete right after, but almost always I have at least 24hours to prep before a fight.

Update: I ate farina for breakfast and salmon and veggies for lunch. Then I had a plum about an hour before weigh in that I promptly threw up after the fight. Also sipped drank water and gatorade through the day as I had no trouble making weight.

Oh yeah, I won, too.

Dairy as in cheeses. Milk was a definitive NO. Coach said something about the body preferring the fats for energy during the intense workout for energy rather than the carbs. The pasta the night before was to load the carbs in so that the body would have those, and the high fat intake the day of the race was for during race endurance.

That makes a lot more sense.

I would haveto disagree with most people here. Brown rice is good for sure. But include some light veggies and a bit of protein. anything like a chicken soulvaki with a garden salad with cucumbers tomatos etc. I would also recoommned eating just half the meal to see how you feel. Your body wont be able to perform great if its spending too much energy on digestion.

Back