What the hell is wrong with my cardio...

Definitely not the case.

Base building for running is also to promote mitochondrial development in the lower body musculature and strengthen/prepare the connective tissue that is stressed by running.

LISS running does make you a better runner than other forms of LISS will. Much better. If you want to be a better runner you absolutely must use running for your LISS.

Yeah no shit LISS running will make you a better runner than other forms of low intensity/steady-state like circuit training or swimming. That's the power of specificity. I'm not saying otherwise.

Base building itself isn't just used to become a better runner though, you can use it to benefit your aerobic system period, whether you're a runner or a mixed martial artist. If you're MMA you don't have to run for your Base, you can do other activities within the HR/time parameters to get the same cardiac benefits and improvement in aerobic system.

Yeah no shit LISS running will make you a better runner than other forms of low intensity/steady-state like circuit training or swimming. That's the power of specificity. I'm not saying otherwise.

Base building itself isn't just used to become a better runner though, you can use it to benefit your aerobic system period, whether you're a runner or a mixed martial artist. If you're MMA you don't have to run for your Base, you can do other activities within the HR/time parameters to get the same cardiac benefits and improvement in aerobic system.

True, but the thread is about running. In a thread about running it's highly misleading to say that it doesn't matter what activity you do for your base building.

True, but the thread is about running. In a thread about running it's highly misleading to say that it doesn't matter what activity you do for your base building.

The title of the thread is "What the hell is wrong with my cardio"

Not "Why the hell can't I improve my marathon time"

The last sentence of the OPs post is " how can I build a cardio base"

Maybe I should make it a little clearer, God forbid I mislead anyone. Ready? :

1. Aerobic base building is an excellent way to improve cardio.

2. Customiz your base building activities so they're in line with your end-goal.

There you go killer.

The title of the thread is "What the hell is wrong with my cardio"....

There you go killer.

Yeah but if you read the OP, his cardio need is running, and he is doing the stationary bike. So he has a specific need to be a better runner.

When you are talking about being a better runner, I think it's worth keeping clear that base-building in running is always done by running. The "it doesn't matter what you use for your base" is only true when the options for LISS aren't at all sports specific.

By the way, maybe I started it, I certainly didn't try to.. but "God forbid...", the "there you go killer" finisher. Is the aggressive and sarcastic tone really necessary?

The title of the thread is "What the hell is wrong with my cardio"

Not "Why the hell can't I improve my marathon time"

The last sentence of the OPs post is " how can I build a cardio base"

Maybe I should make it a little clearer, God forbid I mislead anyone. Ready? :

1. Aerobic base building is an excellent way to improve cardio.

2. Customiz your base building activities so they're in line with your end-goal.

There you go killer.

It's pretty clear the context of the question as a whole was referring to improving his cardio base for soccer.

Therefore it does matter what mode of cardiovascular training OP is doing. The advice to start running more is the best advice for him.

It's pretty clear the context of the question as a whole was referring to improving his cardio base for soccer.

Therefore it does matter what mode of cardiovascular training OP is doing. The advice to start running more is the best advice for him.

@JauntyAngle , @Kiwi Tricker

You are both preaching to the choir.

Like I said, add specificity to your base building protocol. If you're a swimmer looking to build some aerobic capacity, it would be a poor choice to ruck or run for the majority of your base building.

As part of the general conversation I am pointing out that base building is not synonymous with running/LISS.

Aerobic base building includes the objective of causing ventricular hypertrophy, mitochondrial efficiency and all that. You can use any activity as long as it enables you to remain within the aerobic zone/parameters.

Even if Op did some other activity for base (relax, I'm not saying he should) his running would indirectly improve. Not as well as running itself of course, because there's the element of specificity.

Again, we are arguing the same thing here.

Yeah but if you read the OP, his cardio need is running, and he is doing the stationary bike. So he has a specific need to be a better runner.

When you are talking about being a better runner, I think it's worth keeping clear that base-building in running is always done by running. The "it doesn't matter what you use for your base" is only true when the options for LISS aren't at all sports specific.

By the way, maybe I started it, I certainly didn't try to.. but "God forbid...", the "there you go killer" finisher. Is the aggressive and sarcastic tone really necessary?

There could be some reasons to include non-specific base building in a specific base building phase, but they're mostly "I can't do modality x as much as the total volume of training i need". Someone who weighs 300lbs might need to offset some of their running with biking the like to avoid joint damage, a swimmer may not have consistent pool access in all of his available training time, etc etc

It is anecdotal, but I can stand and box/kick box for 2 hours without breathing heavy, and the amazing BJJ guys at my gym are completely ruined after a few rounds, but if I roll with them for a few rounds, I'm breathing heavy and ready to give up.

Just like different lifts in the gym are different, so is cardio. Running =/= biking =/= swimming =/= boxing =/= distance running.

TS: I ride a stationary bike, why do I suck at running?

Well, have you tried running more?

TS: I ride a stationary bike, why do I suck at running?

Well, have you tried running more?
Naw thats not it, you prob. have some genetic limitations that makes you crappy at running.

Back