What the hell are hashtags exactly?

G

Guestx

Some of you younger kids need to explain to me about this newfangled technology.

I know a hashtag when I see one, but I don't really know what the fuck they are supposed to do.

Here's a tweet that Holly Holm apparently sent out earlier:

https://www.instagram.com/explore/tags/biceps/
Nine-tenths of the fucking message is hashtags! WTF?

So what is appending all that shit to the message actually supposed to do?

Get attention, just like people who retweet themselves, which I don’t get. It screams insecurity

It’s a good marketing tool but if you use hashtags just to get attention you’re the tool

Get attention

It’s a good marketing tool but if you use hashtags just to get attention you’re the tool

I guess what I'm asking is are they supposed to do something other than just be a part of the message?

Like if you use certain hashtags then does it make it easier for other people to find your tweets, or something like that? Because to me all that shit looks like an SEO attempt.

the original purpose of a hashtag was used on twitter or other social media outlets to allow for better search terms of hot trending topics. so a person could type in #ww2 in a search bar and come up with people discussing the topic. it's been a way to spread big news quickly for people too stupid or lazy to go to the new york times or something and read a headline.

now it's used by people as sort of a pretentious douchebag way to highlight the moment they are discussing in either an ironic way or for just personal attention.

like a girl on my facebook is really fucking annoying, and she'll take a picture with her fucking dinner or something and say "ahhh what a great way to have dinner. #dinnerisawesome #iluvdinner

basically when you see people do what HH did in what you posted, it's being fucking obnoxious in the most naive and internet dorky way possible. it's also an attention whoring mechanism and only really done by people that think they are being clever and cute, when really it's just fucking stupid.

I believe they're used by instagram.
It's a categorizing tool.
It lets you see all photos with the same hashtag.

Last edited:
I guess what I'm asking is are they supposed to do something other than just be a part of the message?

Like if you use certain hashtags then does it make it easier for other people to find your tweets, or something like that? Because to me all that shit looks like an SEO attempt.
Yep.

Thanks. Just found this on Twitter's support page:

We recommend using no more than 2 hashtags per Tweet as best practice, but you may use as many hashtags in a Tweet as you like.

I think Holly fucked that up.

I think it's stupid too but don't really care. what really pisses me off is when I say pound sign and people don't know what the fuck I'm talking about.

Thanks. Just found this on Twitter's support page:

We recommend using no more than 2 hashtags per Tweet as best practice, but you may use as many hashtags in a Tweet as you like.

I think Holly fucked that up.

No, she’s likely just an attention whore.

the original purpose of a hashtag was used on twitter or other social media outlets to allow for better search terms of hot trending topics. so a person could type in #ww2 in a search bar and come up with people discussing the topic. it's been a way to spread big news quickly for people too stupid or lazy to go to the new york times or something and read a headline.

now it's used by people as sort of a pretentious douchebag way to highlight the moment they are discussing in either an ironic way or for just personal attention.

like a girl on my facebook is really fucking annoying, and she'll take a picture with her fucking dinner or something and say "ahhh what a great way to have dinner. #dinnerisawesome #iluvdinner

basically when you see people do what HH did in what you posted, it's being fucking obnoxious in the most naive and internet dorky way possible. it's also an attention whoring mechanism and only really done by people that think they are being clever and cute, when really it's just fucking stupid.

So can anything be a hashtag? Or are there are only certain official hashtags that Twitter supports?

Like, is #dinnerisawesome a real hashtag or did she just make that shit up?

So can anything be a hashtag? Or are there are only certain official hashtags that Twitter supports?

Like, is #dinnerisawesome a real hashtag or did she just make that shit up?

If it’s never been done before then it’s real.

My coworker’s daughter does that shit all the time and uses these stupid ass hashtags that I can’t see anyone else ever using.

I wish Twitter would release a list of the most useless hashtags so people who use them could see how idiotic they are.

My coworker’s daughter does that shit all the time and uses these stupid ass hashtags that I can’t see anyone else ever using.

I wish Twitter would release a list of the most useless hashtags so people who use them could see how idiotic they are.

So if I used Twitter and just threw #Sherdogsux into a message then the system would recognize it, and other users could find my message by searching for Sherdogsux, even though I just made the shit up on the spot?

So if I used Twitter and just threw #Sherdogsux into a message then the system would recognize it, and other users could find my message by searching for Sherdogsux, even though I just made the shit up on the spot?
Yup. It’s pretty much internet pollution.

Why are you stalking your coworkers daughter?

Why are you stalking your coworkers daughter?
My coworker actually says “hashtag” such and such and I asked where she got that from. She laughed and showed me her daughter’s FB page. It’s a cesspool of hashtags.

I'm an online Domme, and I use hashtags on my blog. But the hashtags aren't included in my post, like there's a separate box to put them in, so I can include a shit load of hashtags without my post looking tacky. It's a good idea really, I use popular tags, more guys see my posts/blog, I get more followers, which turn into clients, and means more money for me lol.

On my personal pages though I never use hashtags. I used to to bring attention to my photography, but then stopped caring. I don't want to bring attention to myself if it's not work related. I'm happy with my three whole likes on my selfie lol. Some people really value "likes" tho and use them as validation, so they add on like fifty million tags and agh.

As for the hashtags #dinnerisawesome, I don't think the goal is to get attention to the post. Some people just keep talking in their hashtags lol. It's weird but, meh, it's harmless.

Some of you younger kids need to explain to me about this newfangled technology.

I know a hashtag when I see one, but I don't really know what the fuck they are supposed to do.

Here's a tweet that Holly Holm apparently sent out earlier:

Nine-tenths of the fucking message is hashtags! WTF?

So what is appending all that shit to the message actually supposed to do?

I’m with you brother. Have never used twitter so I have no idea why they’re used all the time. Also, in my day we called them “pound”.

Lastly:

297.png

I'm an online Domme, and I use hashtags on my blog. But the hashtags aren't included in my post, like there's a separate box to put them in, so I can include a shit load of hashtags without my post looking tacky. It's a good idea really, I use popular tags, more guys see my posts/blog, I get more followers, which turn into clients, and means more money for me lol.

On my personal pages though I never use hashtags. I used to to bring attention to my photography, but then stopped caring. I don't want to bring attention to myself if it's not work related. I'm happy with my three whole likes on my selfie lol. Some people really value "likes" tho and use them as validation, so they add on like fifty million tags and agh.

As for the hashtags #dinnerisawesome, I don't think the goal is to get attention to the post. Some people just keep talking in their hashtags lol. It's weird but, meh, it's harmless.
What the hell is a domme?

Back