What takes more guts: Being an UFC fighter or a Surgeon?

Questions like these are weird, because it depends heavily on the individual. Some surgeons are amazing but also autistic or sociopaths and....they don't experience psychological anguish, they just see it as a physical job to complete meticulously and precisely. Same for fighters, some fighters love to fight, they aren't nervous, they aren't solemn, it's fun, they're good at it and they want to go out there and do their thing. Plenty of examples like this. It's a spectrum, then there are surgeons who are haunted by the realities of their jobs and there's fighters that are too, look at Max Baer in boxing for instance. It's both relative and circumstantial.

As for the level of difficulty to become a Surgeon vs getting into the UFC, it's is debatable and entirely relative too. Some people are predisposed to an environment that would nurture one being a doctor or a surgeon just like some fighters are to becoming a fighter. Then there's all sorts of other factors. It's safe to say most surgeons could have never been great fighters and most fighters could have never been great surgeons.

So it's relative, there is no real right or wrong answer...no tangibles here.
as I said, Ive never given it much thought.... just got me thinking when I read it

you make a lot of good points though

WTF ?

Surgeon hands down.. he makes a mistake he ends someones life. Then he has to go and tell some poor family that their loved one didn't make it while knowing he himself screwed up, that if he was more careful or better he would have that person reunited with their family and continuing their life.

Not even comparable, a fighter really now ? I know it's sherdog and all that but keep it real.

WTF ?

Surgeon hands down.. he makes a mistake he ends someones life. Then he has to go and tell some poor family that their loved one didn't make it while knowing he himself screwed up, that if he was more careful or better he would have that person reunited with their family and continuing their life.

Not even comparable, a fighter really now ? I know it's sherdog and all that but keep it real.

If you want to argue which job has the bigger life and death consequences or ramifications, the surgeon hands down. As for which one is psychologically the most demanding or stressful? It's relative and circumstantial. Everyone experiences and perceives things differently.

I've never been a surgeon but have you ever fought?

I can tell you going into an amateur fight that has no real impact on the outside world...In certain ways it was every bit as psychologically demanding for me as life and death situations have been...I've carried my mothers lifeless body into a hospital as a teenager, I have had near death experiences. The world is literally on your shoulder as you're locked in a cage, for some people this can be every bit as psychologically demanding as conducting surgery...I think that's fair to say. I think it was apparent with a fighter like Mike Tyson the way he obsessed over his career, the dreams he had, the visualizations, the preparations, the hostility etc. He was far more psychologically taxed than most surgeons, even in surgery.

There's a flip side to this, of course. Like I said it's relative and circumstantial. Some surgeons understand they are doing their best and feel no guilt or obligation, some surgeons are autistic, emotionally detached or sociopaths. Some people simply have a better mind to handle being a surgeon than others, same can be said for fighters. A lot of surgeons may have never had the mental fortitude to be a fighter the same way a fighter may have never had the mental fortitude to be a surgeon. Forget about level of intelligence even, of course on average I'd say surgeons are significantly more intelligent if that was something we measured and compared.

I work with surgeons daily, but have trained with fighters... life saving and life taking both take guts, but surgery requires brains.

.. and MMA destroys brains. Can we just appreciate this perfect harmony among professions and be happy they both exist? :)

If you want to argue which job has the bigger life and death consequences or ramifications, the surgeon hands down. As for which one is psychologically the most demanding or stressful? It's relative and circumstantial. Everyone experiences and perceives things differently.

I've never been a surgeon but have you ever fought?

I can tell you going into an amateur fight that has no real impact on the outside world...In certain ways it was every bit as psychologically demanding for me as life and death situations have been...I've carried my mothers lifeless body into a hospital as a teenager, I have had near death experiences. The world is literally on your shoulder as you're locked in a cage, for some people this can be every bit as psychologically demanding as conducting surgery...I think that's fair to say. I think it was apparent with a fighter like Mike Tyson the way he obsessed over his career, the dreams he had, the visualizations, the preparations, the hostility etc. He was far more psychologically taxed than most surgeons, even in surgery.

There's a flip side to this, of course. Like I said it's relative and circumstantial. Some surgeons understand they are doing their best and feel no guilt or obligation, some surgeons are autistic, emotionally detached or sociopaths. Some people simply have a better mind to handle being a surgeon than others, same can be said for fighters. A lot of surgeons may have never had the mental fortitude to be a fighter the same way a fighter may have never had the mental fortitude to be a surgeon. Forget about level of intelligence even, of course on average I'd say surgeons are significantly more intelligent if that was something we measured and compared.

Bro.. it's your life, your choice, you decided shit for your own being, good or bad what ever happens happens in that cage in the end only you suffer the results.

If you are doing surgeries on say hearts or brains and sensitive stuff that one single mistake and be the end of another person then that shit is next level its not just "oh just me" it's "oh the other person's life" it's not even a debate for me it seems silly shit.

your self (mental game and potential results) < other peoples life in your hands + your own ability to cope during that event and with the ones you lose because of your own short comings

Bro.. it's your life, your choice, you decided shit for your own being, good or bad what ever happens happens in that cage in the end only you suffer the results.

If you are doing surgeries on say hearts or brains and sensitive stuff that one single mistake and be the end of another person then that shit is next level its not just "oh just me" it's "oh the other person's life" it's not even a debate for me it seems silly shit.

your self (mental game and potential results) < other peoples life in your hands + your own ability to cope during that event and with the ones you lose because of your own short comings

That's your opinion but it's rather clear that there are countless factors that come into play and it varies from surgeon to surgeon and fighter to fighter. So it's obvious there's no one answer to questions like these logically speaking.

It sounds like to me you're projecting your own feelings as an answer. Which I understand, but it's not an answer.

If you fuck up as a surgeon, you lose your job and someone else's health is compromised. If you fuck up as a fighter, in a few years you won't even remember your own name and will be suicidal. Stupid question, of course fighters risk more. Getting into medical school is hard, but if you fail, you can simply find another course/job with no physical repercussions.

CM Punk can be a UFC fighter, but he sure ain't going to be a surgeon.

I vote surgeon. lol

That's your opinion but it's rather clear that there are countless factors that come into play and it varies from surgeon to surgeon and fighter to fighter. So it's obvious there's no one answer to questions like these logically speaking.

It sounds like to me you're projecting your own feelings as an answer. Which I understand, but it's not an answer.

I do no care what x and z and other fighters are feeling it's on them how much of a basket case they are or they aren't... same for any doctor that is looking at it like just a job or doing his best or whatever he uses for justification.

To it's core, no other feelings or bullshit running around in a circle pointing variables, to it's facts it's: self vs more then your self.

I do no care what x and z and other fighters are feeling it's on them how much of a basket case they are or they aren't... same for any doctor that is looking at it like just a job or doing his best or whatever he uses for justification.

To it's core, no other feelings or bullshit running around in a circle point variables, to it's facts it's: self vs more then your self.

The question is what takes more guts? And I think it's a relative and circumstantial question. I gave logic, personal experience and actual facts to help support my opinion. You may disagree or perceive the question differently but surely you can respect and understand my point?

The question is what takes more guts? And I think it's a relative and circumstantial question. I gave logic, personal experience and actual facts to help support my opinion. You may disagree or perceive the question differently but surely you can respect and understand my point?

Alright.

I get it you were in a fight and considered it a very hard/intense/primal etc. experience. Good for you but you made the choice and in the end your are responsible for yourself at the end of it.

A doctor will be responsible for himself and for another life in his hands. That to me holds more meaning and a greater degree of mental fortitude.

I got no problem if you see it differently, I said my piece on it.

I would like to be a gynecologist, but not for all pussy, just hot, shaved, stink-less pussy, hot teen Scandinavian pussy
(thanks to Doug Stanhope for this line)

Alright.

I get it you were in a fight and considered it a very hard/intense/primal etc. experience. Good for you but you made the choice and in the end your are responsible for yourself at the end of it.

A doctor will be responsible for himself and for another life in his hands. That to me holds more meaning and a greater degree of mental fortitude.

I got no problem if you see it differently, I said my piece on it.

Right it does to you. It doesn't to everyone, not to every surgeon nor every fighter. No you don't get that I was in a fight, of all the things I said that was the most anecdotal and least relevant yet you're harping on that for some reason as if it's some sort of basis for why I think this is a relative question with no right or wrong answer? If so you're clearly confused.

This is a relative question...You understand that right? There is no right answer, there are personal opinions. You've stated yours, I respect it and may even agree with it but that's not the point I was trying to make.

Right it does to you. It doesn't to everyone, not to every surgeon nor every fighter. No you don't get that I was in a fight, of all the things I said that was the most anecdotal and least relevant yet you're harping on that for some reason as if it's some sort of basis for why I think this is a relative question with no right or wrong answer? If so you're clearly confused.

This is a relative question...You understand that right? There is no right answer, there are personal opinions. You've stated yours, I respect it and may even agree with it but that's not the point I was trying to make.

You are over thinking it, keep it simple, keep it to the core and chose.

All this fluff is just that fluff.

You are over thinking it, keep it simple, keep it to the core and chose.

All this fluff is just that fluff.

The simplifications of deep and or complex things often leads to mass ignorance. I think the point I'm trying to raise is logical, important and relevant to the discussion at hand. We can differ on this though, I'll digress too. You're a good poster around here and I'm obstinate so this won't be going anywhere.

All these long, well thought out posts and the only thing I have to contribute is that I'm a rising Pro Fighter hoping to make it to the UFC soon and my fight name is "The Surgeon".......

Last edited:
Back