What should a fighter focus on when facing a fighter like Khabib?

I like your post.
I think that at LW, Kevin Lee has the best game to beat Khabib. I think he'd stop the takedowns (like Tibau did), and on the feet he would be the aggressor (like in the Ferguson fight where he was able to rock Tony a few times). Regardless of Lee not being very technical, he´s still better than Khabib imo, and definitely packs more power on his punches and kicks.

Although Lee is not close to a TS right now, how do you see a fight between Lee and Khabib going?
Khabib sub in the second round after controlling Lee the entire fight.

Oretega and Ferguson are more dangerous opponents for Khabib and I think he breaks both.

We need a 2018 LW version of Chuck to beat Khabib. McGregor would be that guy is he could somehow exponentially increase how good his TDD is a short matter of time.

If I'm McGregor I'm moving to Iowa City, Iowa for a year to train with the Hawkeye wrestling team.

Khabib sub in the second round after controlling Lee the entire fight.

Oretega and Ferguson are more dangerous opponents for Khabib and I think he breaks both.

We need a 2018 LW version of Chuck to beat Khabib. McGregor would be that guy is he could somehow exponentially increase how good his TDD is a short matter of time.

If I'm McGregor I'm moving to Iowa City, Iowa for a year to train with the Hawkeye wrestling team.
I hear what you´re saying, and I´m rooting for Tony Ferguson to beat Khabib, but I´m afraid Khabib is gonna hurt him on the ground before Tony can pull out a sub. Hope I´m wrong. But gamewise I still think Lee matches up better with Khabib, I think he stuffs the takedowns the same way Tibau did (because of Lee's excellent grappling and strength). Khabib might have improved but I think Lee's athleticism would be the key factor to stop the takedowns first, and then hurt Khabib on the feet with more powerful strikes, specially his kicks.

TDD, striking and having insane cardio. Eventually he will tire and turn into K1 Khabib. At that point let your hands and feet go and light him up.

Kabib won’t tire, his cardio gets better every time out

I hear what you´re saying, and I´m rooting for Tony Ferguson to beat Khabib, but I´m afraid Khabib is gonna hurt him on the ground before Tony can pull out a sub. Hope I´m wrong. But gamewise I still think Lee matches up better with Khabib, I think he stuffs the takedowns the same way Tibau did (because of Lee's excellent grappling and strength). Khabib might have improved but I think Lee's athleticism would be the key factor to stop the takedowns first, and then hurt Khabib on the feet with more powerful strikes, specially his kicks.
I can see Lee having success early just based off raw strength and athleticism. The problem is between the weight cut, his cardio, he reliance on brute strength and Khabib's technique being so good he's going to gas by the middle of the second round and get mercy subbed as a result.

I can see Lee having success early just based off raw strength and athleticism. The problem is between the weight cut, his cardio, he reliance on brute strength and Khabib's technique being so good he's going to gas by the middle of the second round and get mercy subbed as a result.
Very true, Lee's cut might drain him to the point where he gasses badly in the middle of the fight. And if that happens against Khabib, well.... you´re in for a tough night.
If he doesn´t take care of that cut correctly by getting the best nutricionist, this problem might jeopardize his lw career.

Very true, Lee's cut might drain him to the point where he gasses badly in the middle of the fight. And if that happens against Khabib, well.... you´re in for a tough night.
If he doesn´t take care of that cut correctly by getting the best nutricionist, this problem might jeopardize his lw career.
He needs to fight at WW but he doesn't want to give up his strength and size advantage. He's not very technical which is fine. Like I said he uses his athleticism to fights.

That's why he's calling for a new division.

He needs to fight at WW but he doesn't want to give up his strength and size advantage. He's not very technical which is fine. Like I said he uses his athleticism to fights.

That's why he's calling for a new division.
I like Kevin Lee, and I hope he focuses on the diet, because imho he has the potential to be champion at lw. He´s still young, has time to improve and his grappling is amazing. But I just don´t see him having the same kind of success at WW against big guys like Woodley, Thompson, Usman or Till. Maybe a top 5 depending on the match ups.

How about fast twitch power down the middle? Or multi-hit combos?

3 pages in, no one posts a picture of tiramisu?

Look at Sherdog, growing up. D'awww

100% wrestling ... Mostly escapes from bottom and tdd. U are probably gonna get taken down... It will limit ur striking greatly because of the threat of take down. Practice getting away from the wrist rides that hold everyone he fights on bottom to be mauled. I don't see bjj being effective at all, don't see khabib being caught by a sub. Only hope is to keep standing up and try to land a lucky punch. It takes a lot of cardio to keep escaping and standing up.. So better have loads. People have used the same technique as khabib in the past and eventually the landscape changed in order to be able to beat it. Takes time tho... Even when everyone who is potentially fighting him and thier coaches are dissecting every move khabib has made in past fights. Khabib had changed since joining Aka, and learned a lot of new American wrestling techniques on top off all the ones he already had. He is evolving all the time and will be hard to beat. I see him retiring undefeated honestly because there's not time for fighters to learn enough to stop him, especially when he's adding new tools to bag all the time. Haven't seen khabib on bottom much, which may be a weakness if u can keep him there, but hasn't happened yet, and looked like he had no issue getting back on top.

I believe Lee stops the takedowns just like Tibau, and on the feet he´s gonna fuck Khabib up, with his better and more powerful striking (not a great striker by any means, but better and more powerful than Khabib).
He´s probably gonna take a while to get that TS.

He is not a more powerful striker or better striker than Khabib. Both of thrm have mediocre striking. And no he is not stopping Khabibs takedowns. Once Khabib faces him, you will see he is on another planet wrestling wise. That steroid monkey Taibu will get wrecked by Khabib today. Khabib of 2012 isnt the same khabib today. In 2014, Kevin was getting his face smashed by Al Iquainta, does that mean he hasn't improved either? Lee is tge easiest fight for Khabib. This myth of a decent striker with good wrestling beating Khabib has no truth behind it.

Try to keep the fight in the spots you have an edge.
I see this kind of thinking in poker too . Optimal bluff frequency/c-bet frequency etc instead of actually paying attention and trying to exploit each opponents tendencies (if he folds too much, bluff him more. If he calls too much with weak hands, stop bluffing him and only value bet him. Don't just pick an "optimal" number)
Theres no magical formula like 40% striking/40% wresrling etc.
Why the hell would Conor spend 40% of the fight wrestling? He should be trying to sray standing up and striking with Khabib. That would be using McG strength and exploiting Khabibs weakness. To suggest Cobor should attempt to wrestle him for 40% of the fight is ludicrous. The only non striking thing McG should do is TDD as best he can and try to get up if he gets taken down.

If GSP is fighting Khabib, totally different story. Of course GSP would fight him differently. He'd probably even look for spots to try and take Khabib down.

Forget TDD, stiff Jab to keep him away and excellent reversals and subs once down.

That clinch area halfway between standing and pure ground fighting is his best, don't be there.

Tony will show you what you need to beat that guy.
44c1bbe1ba8d878e70750ee167638bf7.jpg
Khabib has been training judo and submissions since he was 5 years old from his father.
This is the worst possible game plan.

spend lots of time on the cage with people grabing your wrists.

Back