What should a fighter focus on when facing a fighter like Khabib?

It amuses me that somone called Kung fu bb likes this post.......

...and then someone called NinjaskillZ likes this post.
giphy.gif

Avoid circling with your back close to the cage like AL did.

RDA did it too against Colby who fights a similar 'push you against the cage style' that Khabib does. One of the reasons he lost.
I agree.

What would be the optimal % distribution? e.g. 40% striking 40% wrestling, 20 jiu-jitsu or maybe 60% wrestling, 30% striking and 10% jiu-jitsu, etc

You’re gonna lose unless you’re GSP so might as well focus on your ducking skills - Conor is a master.

What would be the optimal % distribution? e.g. 40% striking 40% wrestling, 20 jiu-jitsu or maybe 60% wrestling, 30% striking and 10% jiu-jitsu, etc
I like this question. This is a very tough question because he's such a well rounded guy. His striking is good only because of the constant threat of taking his opponent down. There's three strategies that I would take depending on what type of fighter I am. So let's say that each three are great at 1, and average at 2.
For a good striker (McGregor): For Training: 30% Striking 50%wrestling 20%subs and sub defense. During the fight I'm looking to strike as much as possible and grapple only when necessary (for defense and if you rock him). So I'm looking for 70% striking, 15% wrestling just to keep him honest, and 15% sub's. Any takedown attempts would be late in a round when I know I need points.
For a good wrestler (Colby): For training: 35% Wrestling 20% Sub 45% striking: My thinking on this is that you will still need your wrestling so we can't abandon that. Being a good wrestler can put you in position to sub, but you're still going up against khabib so I wouldn't spend tons of time here. On fight day I'm looking to strike 50%, grapple 25%, sub 25%. I would only shoot for takedowns with ab less than minute left each round. Because if you do end up on your back you have less time to worry about and take punishment.
For a bjj guy (Ortega): In training I'm spending 25% of my time on bjj, and 25% TDD, and 50% striking. On fight day I'm looking 60% striking, 20% takedowns, 20% subs. This is the best style to beat khabib. Right now nobody is going to out wrestle khabib. If I'm Ortega, I strike until I prove I can't win. I'm also not worried too much about being taken down. Khabib will be a little hesitant to shoot for takedown due to fear of a nasty guillotine or other choke. If I'm losing the stand up battle, I'm looking for ways to pull guard. Generally this is a bad idea, but for a guy like Ortega there's legitimate bjj that can really slow khabib's approach.

khabib has shit tds without the cage. keep the center.

Backstep counters for when Khabib comes rushing in.

if you're conor you need to punch him in the head. if you're tony you need constant aggression. if you're kevin lee, you might got it on being just a little more athletic.

Honestly, I'd spar enough to keep comfortable on the feet and just drill escapes from the bottom and work on scrambles.

Takedown defense, footwork, haymakers, turinabol.

50% striking, 20% wrestling(rolls and scrambles), 30% bjj imo

Gotta be capable of sweeps and scrambles to keep it on the feet without burning out your arms stuffing TDs.

It amuses me that somone called Kung fu bb likes this post.......

...and then someone called NinjaskillZ likes this post.
I would say they should play to their own strengths, learn some take down defence. The answer to this question is different for every fighter. Connor would approach Khabin differently then Ferguson. I dont think there is an “ideal” method.

Striking and BJJ. You know he's going to take you down regardless of how much TDD and wrestling you practice. Better to accept the fate and work with what you have.

I like this question. This is a very tough question because he's such a well rounded guy. His striking is good only because of the constant threat of taking his opponent down. There's three strategies that I would take depending on what type of fighter I am. So let's say that each three are great at 1, and average at 2.
For a good striker (McGregor): For Training: 30% Striking 50%wrestling 20%subs and sub defense. During the fight I'm looking to strike as much as possible and grapple only when necessary (for defense and if you rock him). So I'm looking for 70% striking, 15% wrestling just to keep him honest, and 15% sub's. Any takedown attempts would be late in a round when I know I need points.
For a good wrestler (Colby): For training: 35% Wrestling 20% Sub 45% striking: My thinking on this is that you will still need your wrestling so we can't abandon that. Being a good wrestler can put you in position to sub, but you're still going up against khabib so I wouldn't spend tons of time here. On fight day I'm looking to strike 50%, grapple 25%, sub 25%. I would only shoot for takedowns with ab less than minute left each round. Because if you do end up on your back you have less time to worry about and take punishment.
For a bjj guy (Ortega): In training I'm spending 25% of my time on bjj, and 25% TDD, and 50% striking. On fight day I'm looking 60% striking, 20% takedowns, 20% subs. This is the best style to beat khabib. Right now nobody is going to out wrestle khabib. If I'm Ortega, I strike until I prove I can't win. I'm also not worried too much about being taken down. Khabib will be a little hesitant to shoot for takedown due to fear of a nasty guillotine or other choke. If I'm losing the stand up battle, I'm looking for ways to pull guard. Generally this is a bad idea, but for a guy like Ortega there's legitimate bjj that can really slow khabib's approach.
I like your post.
I think that at LW, Kevin Lee has the best game to beat Khabib. I think he'd stop the takedowns (like Tibau did), and on the feet he would be the aggressor (like in the Ferguson fight where he was able to rock Tony a few times). Regardless of Lee not being very technical, he´s still better than Khabib imo, and definitely packs more power on his punches and kicks.

Although Lee is not close to a TS right now, how do you see a fight between Lee and Khabib going?

Three times his size worked against Mcgregor… so maybe up that to five. :eek:

Back