What should a boxing private look like?

dudeguyman

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I've decided that due my circumstances, what's best for my training now would be to find a good boxing coach and to do some one on one training. I know we've some boxing coaches and boxing students around here. If you had to set guidelines for what one on one training should look like, how would it be? What I'm looking for is technical training. Since I'll be paying more and training less often with supervision, I'd rather do the conditioning on my own. I'd expect to hit pads, hit the bag, and shadowbox while being corrected technically. Am I being realistic? Thx

Every coach is different.

For example a private with me would look like:

A watchful eye on your shadow boxing.
Partnered shadow boxing with me.
Depending on your level 2 or 3 rounds of light technique based of sparring which you can pay extra and get it recorded and edited with feed back from yours truly.

You are being realistic but you cant expect a coach to change how they coach for you. You'll need to find a coach who fits with you and what you are looking for

Col. Thomas Monstery did a standing heavy bag session plus some drills and sparring (ie. you attack him as you wish and he tells you what you're doing wrong and why he can kick your ass). But that was over hundred years ago. Then again, the guy held his own in all kinds of unarmed and armed fights, wars, explorations, etc.

I train in a private manner. I have a boxing trainer and we train outside. For sparring I go to different gyms to spar. Just make sure you have done your medicals since some gyms require that you are clear and healthy for liability reasons.

I train in a private manner. I have a boxing trainer and we train outside. For sparring I go to different gyms to spar. Just make sure you have done your medicals since some gyms require that you are clear and healthy for liability reasons.
I didn't think about medical stuff. That's a good thought actually. I'm not worried about sparring though. That's why I'm switching it up with some privates. I got me some nasty PCS.

You should be honest with yourself and write down your weakest areas first.
Then work on the weakest (in order of importance) things -- the aspects that are giving you the most trouble, FIRST. Footwork is usually most people's weakest spot because no one asks for it or gets excited for it like they should. Most people want to gloss over that or are happy not covering it at all (which is ALSO how/why you can beat most people).

After that you list the things besides that you would LIKE to improve on (but may be of secondary importance like how to throw a cleaner hook, more technical right hand, etc.)
Tell your trainer (since YOU are paying for the time) that you want him to help you primarily on the areas you feel are your weakest technically, in the order you have decided. He can't disagree, he should be super glad to hear that. If he just wants to have you do situps and stuff, forget it.

You should be honest with yourself and write down your weakest areas first.
Then work on the weakest (in order of importance) things -- the aspects that are giving you the most trouble, FIRST. Footwork is usually most people's weakest spot because no one asks for it or gets excited for it like they should. Most people want to gloss over that or are happy not covering it at all (which is ALSO how/why you can beat most people).

After that you list the things besides that you would LIKE to improve on (but may be of secondary importance like how to throw a cleaner hook, more technical right hand, etc.)
Tell your trainer (since YOU are paying for the time) that you want him to help you primarily on the areas you feel are your weakest technically, in the order you have decided. He can't disagree, he should be super glad to hear that. If he just wants to have you do situps and stuff, forget it.
Number one is footwork your totally right, two is head movement, and thirdly I need a proper cross, not a rear jab. I agree with you 100%

i think everything you mentioned in your post is pretty much spot on. Try a session and feel if you learned from it or not before moving forward with that coach.

Every coach is different.

For example a private with me would look like:

A watchful eye on your shadow boxing.
Partnered shadow boxing with me.
Depending on your level 2 or 3 rounds of light technique based of sparring which you can pay extra and get it recorded and edited with feed back from yours truly.

You are being realistic but you cant expect a coach to change how they coach for you. You'll need to find a coach who fits with you and what you are looking for

I like the sparring recording and critique service. That is wonderful.

Also, yeah- don't forget to write down what you've learned after each session so you wont forget it and waste that money/effort. You can even write it down during if you want because you are the one paying while the meter runs.

When I do private’s with people I show up 10 minutes early so there’s time to wrap up, skip rope and stretch out. We work 3-4 rounds of mitts together so I can get a feel for how they move and punch, find their timing, and see what we should focus on. From there I access the library of drills, tricks, and phrases in my brain to come up with the strategy to fix their problems.

We rarely do bag work unless there’s a good reason for it. Mitts, pool noodles, punching shield, agility ladder, slip rope, slip bag, shadow boxing, partner drills, it’s all up for grabs but each session is a little different

When I do private’s with people I show up 10 minutes early so there’s time to wrap up, skip rope and stretch out. We work 3-4 rounds of mitts together so I can get a feel for how they move and punch, find their timing, and see what we should focus on. From there I access the library of drills, tricks, and phrases in my brain to come up with the strategy to fix their problems.

We rarely do bag work unless there’s a good reason for it. Mitts, pool noodles, punching shield, agility ladder, slip rope, slip bag, shadow boxing, partner drills, it’s all up for grabs but each session is a little different

What if the client told you, he wanted to spar hard with one of your low tier aspiring fighters? Would you do it? (Serious question I'm just curious)

What if the client told you, he wanted to spar hard with one of your low tier aspiring fighters? Would you do it? (Serious question I'm just curious)
depends on if he’s a douche. If he’s a douche and I think my fighter can tune him up, then I’d probably say yes

depends on if he’s a douche. If he’s a douche and I think my fighter can tune him up, then I’d probably say yes

Lol most instructors in New Jersey have a strict safety rule for sparring which means no sparring hard unless it's for a fight, but I guess your not strict on safety which is a good thing.

Lol most instructors in New Jersey have a strict safety rule for sparring which means no sparring hard unless it's for a fight, but I guess your not strict on safety which is a good thing.
I’m generally against hard sparring unless it serves a purpose, and helping check someone’s ego is a good purpose in my opinion

I’m generally against hard sparring unless it serves a purpose, and helping check someone’s ego is a good purpose in my opinion

Yeah it is, I hate it when they just let the assholes be assholes without any punishment.

Back