What Pound For Pound truly means. In depth.

Conor McGregor.... Undefetaed at 145, 155.

giphy.gif

Daniel cormier ... 2 losses at LHW(Technically).

18buy3.jpg

Which is weird... you know... since it does allow a handicap bonus for little guys who would get their ass kicked by bigger guys who rank lower on the list.

Sooooo...

"You should give me more credit as a fighter because I'm a woman." = Total Bullshit

"You should give me more credit as a fighter because I'm just a little fella." = Perfectly Legit

Gotcha.

#100 P4P Male murders #1 P4P female
Damn it, I took your bait. Don't even care about the list, just like seeing WMMA omitted when we talking about legit fighters.

Stipe cutting to 205? LMAO he would be scrawny af and lose all his punching power , wrestling strength, and cardio.

I like it. A P4P list that only includes fighters with wins in multiple weight classes would be the most accurate but it takes away some of the fun.

Which is weird... you know... since it does allow a handicap bonus for little guys who would get their ass kicked by bigger guys who rank lower on the list.

Sooooo...

"You should give me more credit as a fighter because I'm a woman." = Total Bullshit

"You should give me more credit as a fighter because I'm just a little fella." = Perfectly Legit

Gotcha.

It simply becomes to hypothetical. Because of the fundamental differences in the sexes we know that a 165 pound Jedrzejczyk could not likley contend with GSP. Wether or not a 165 pound DJ could contend with GSP is a subject of debate and the purpose of P4P lists.

It was created as a way to hyoe sugar ray robinson and can basically be boiled down to if everyone was the same size, who would be the best, thus the idea that the person who would be the best would be scaled to their weight, meaning they would be the best fighter pound for pound.

It is inherently biased against heavier weight fighters for that reason.

Agreed its unfair to compare the agility/speed of smaller guys with bigger guys.
Even if you created a machine that was capable of scaling Mighty Mouse up to 265lbs but keeping his same proportions he wouldn't retain his agility, he's be a lot slower and lumbersome. Things don't work the same way when you scale them up, smaller creatures are always relatively stronger for their weight, when taken to extremes an ant can lift 50 times its body weight whilst an elephant is only capable of lifting about 1/4 its weight but is an ant a better P4P fighter than an elephant?

#100 P4P Male murders #1 P4P female
Damn it, I took your bait. Don't even care about the list, just like seeing WMMA omitted when we talking about legit fighters.

There are plenty of #100+ P4P Males who would murder the #1 P4P Male, too, depending on who it happens to be at the time.

Skillset for skillset conor shouldnt be anywhere near top 10. Saying his skillset is better than mm's is ridiculous. And p4p has to be about skillsets. Its not just asking if dc and mm both weighed 205 who would win, because mm is 5 foot nothing.

I like it. A P4P list that only includes fighters with wins in multiple weight classes would be the most accurate but it takes away some of the fun.

It simply becomes to hypothetical. Because of the fundamental differences in the sexes we know that a 165 pound Jedrzejczyk could not likley contend with GSP. Wether or not a 165 pound DJ could contend with GSP is a subject of debate and the purpose of P4P lists.

Would the 165 lb DJ be stronger than the 165 lb DJ? If so, how much stronger? And why? All of that seems pretty hypothetical to me, too. Not sure how it's any more or less hypothetical than imagining how much faster and stronger JJ would be if she was a male.

It's P4P not G4G !

Point being it's all bullshit... and if it's not all bullshit, then adding women to the list certainly doesn't make it anymore bullshit. If we're going to try to imagine how fast Stipe might be if he was as small as MM, or how strong MM might be if he was as big as Stipe, we might just as well imagine how fast and strong Thug Rose might be if she were a man.

P4P never had any caveat of omitting people busted by USADA...

First off it's subjective and stupid and we all know. But if we're going by what it was created for, it was created in boxing to compare fighters between weight classes to see who was the best not taking into account size. Also. Fighters who have competed at multiple weight classes in boxing and had success would be ranked in the P4P more often then people who just compete in one. Going by this. Here is my top 5 current pound for pound.

1. GSP. Champion at 170, and 185. Just fought like 3, months ago and Hasn't said he is retiring.

2. Conor McGregor. Champion at 145, and 155. Undefetaed at 145, 155. 1-1 at 170.

3. Daniel cormier. Champion at 205. Former strikeforce champ at 265. Undefeated at HW. 2 losses at LHW(Technically).

4. Mighty mouse. 125 champion. Has many wins at 135.

5. Stipe miocic. 265 champion. Baddest man on the planet. Only weighs 240 so could probably cut to 205 and get wins tbh.

This list isn't a GOAT list. It isn't most dominant champion list. It's what POUND FOR POUND was ment for. Que the name calling.
How can you call conor a dominant champ when he only has one fight at 155? He deserves to be on the p4p list but 2 is way too damn high. The guy hasnt done shit in the sport for over a year and went 1-1 with diaz not that long ago.

First off it's subjective and stupid and we all know. But if we're going by what it was created for, it was created in boxing to compare fighters between weight classes to see who was the best not taking into account size. Also. Fighters who have competed at multiple weight classes in boxing and had success would be ranked in the P4P more often then people who just compete in one. Going by this. Here is my top 5 current pound for pound.

1. GSP. Champion at 170, and 185. Just fought like 3, months ago and Hasn't said he is retiring.

2. Conor McGregor. Champion at 145, and 155. Undefetaed at 145, 155. 1-1 at 170.

3. Daniel cormier. Champion at 205. Former strikeforce champ at 265. Undefeated at HW. 2 losses at LHW(Technically).

4. Mighty mouse. 125 champion. Has many wins at 135.

5. Stipe miocic. 265 champion. Baddest man on the planet. Only weighs 240 so could probably cut to 205 and get wins tbh.

This list isn't a GOAT list. It isn't most dominant champion list. It's what POUND FOR POUND was ment for. Que the name calling.

Going by your logic, this would make Hendo the all time goat.

The problem with Cormier is that he lost against the #1 contender in his division twice and he's the opposite of RDA, fighting in 2 of the shallowest divisions - Flyweight probably being the shallowest. But I have no problem with him being on a P4P list.
I agree that both divisions he fought in are very shallow but the size difference at he is bigger then any other division.

He makes up for this with his wrestling skill which almost no one else in the UFC can match.

Also can't really count the second bones loss against him because it was a no contest.
DC's legacy is always a tricky thing to measure because of Bones fucking up so much lol

Agreed its unfair to compare the agility/speed of smaller guys with bigger guys.
Even if you created a machine that was capable of scaling Mighty Mouse up to 265lbs but keeping his same proportions he wouldn't retain his agility, he's be a lot slower and lumbersome. Things don't work the same way when you scale them up, smaller creatures are always relatively stronger for their weight, when taken to extremes an ant can lift 50 times its body weight whilst an elephant is only capable of lifting about 1/4 its weight but is an ant a better P4P fighter than an elephant?

Pound for pound yes an ant is stronger than an elephant, but that doesnt mean much in reality. P4p in sports has just become a pissing contest about whos the best or.most dominant, missing the point entirely. If every atg fighter were the same size, i think guys like demetrious johnson and aldo would beat everyone, and i dont think its all that competitive, but people make up theit own criteria. Its become "who is the most successful" when it shouldnt be.

Back