What Pound For Pound truly means. In depth.

Eli1015

Martial Artist
@Brown
Reaction score
First off it's subjective and stupid and we all know. But if we're going by what it was created for, it was created in boxing to compare fighters between weight classes to see who was the best not taking into account size. Also. Fighters who have competed at multiple weight classes in boxing and had success would be ranked in the P4P more often then people who just compete in one. Going by this. Here is my top 5 current pound for pound.

1. GSP. Champion at 170, and 185. Just fought like 3, months ago and Hasn't said he is retiring.

2. Conor McGregor. Champion at 145, and 155. Undefetaed at 145, 155. 1-1 at 170.

3. Daniel cormier. Champion at 205. Former strikeforce champ at 265. Undefeated at HW. 2 losses at LHW(Technically).

4. Mighty mouse. 125 champion. Has many wins at 135.

5. Stipe miocic. 265 champion. Baddest man on the planet. Only weighs 240 so could probably cut to 205 and get wins tbh.

This list isn't a GOAT list. It isn't most dominant champion list. It's what POUND FOR POUND was ment for. Que the name calling.

Thank you for leaving women off. P4P doesn't allow a handicap bonus for gender

Fighters who have competed at multiple weight classes in boxing and had success would be ranked in the P4P more often then people who just compete in one.

5. Stipe miocic. 265 champion. Baddest man on the planet. Only weighs 240 so could probably cut to 205 and get wins tbh.

funny

? Break what. I'm putting the fighters who have won in multiple weight classes on the list. Wich I did. Except stipe. But being as he is the HW champ, it's assumed he would beat everyone anyway. But if you wanna be 100% correct ide switch him out for Frankie Edgar.

How about RDA? Competitive in the two deepest weight classes, champ in one of them. I'd rank him above Cormier.

How about RDA? Competitive in the two deepest weight classes, champ in one of them. I'd rank him above Cormier.
But cormier is a current champion with 3, title defences. And was the former HW champ in SF. And undefeated in SF. But I would put RDA in a top 10 P4P list for sure. Along with guys like Frankie Edgar, possibly Cerrone but maybe not.

But cormier is a current champion with 3, title defences. And was the former HW champ in SF. And undefeated in SF. But I would put RDA in a top 10 P4P list for sure. Along with guys like Frankie Edgar, possibly Cerrone but maybe not.
The problem with Cormier is that he lost against the #1 contender in his division twice and he's the opposite of RDA, fighting in 2 of the shallowest divisions - Flyweight probably being the shallowest. But I have no problem with him being on a P4P list.

P4P = A marketing gimmick for smaller men/manlets/midgets/leprechauns and such other fighters who could never actually be the best in the world, to convice people they are actually the best in the world.

That's the real definition.

Last edited:
Its stupid because if they were all the same weight with the exact same skill set of their original weight, the lihter guys automatically win. So it doesnt work like that.

For me, its basically a list of champions decending based on defense of title.

Its pointless all around but here we are

Its stupid because if they were all the same weight with the exact same skill set of their original weight, the lihter guys automatically win. So it doesnt work like that.

For me, its basically a list of champions decending based on defense of title.

Its pointless all around but here we are
It does work like that. It's what it was ment for. Go google the definition. Also I don't understand why you would think the lighter guy would win? It gets rid of size that's it. So it's just comparing skill sets. Is stipe a better boxer than Conor? If he is he would win. Is Cain a better wrestler than Khabib etc.

It does work like that. It's what it was ment for. Go google the definition. Also I don't understand why you would think the lighter guy would win? It gets rid of size that's it. So it's just comparing skill sets. Is stipe a better boxer than Conor? If he is he would win. Is Cain a better wrestler than Khabib etc.
The lower weight guys are just more agile and quicker than the heavier guys.

Thank you for leaving women off. P4P doesn't allow a handicap bonus for gender
You’re gross.

And if you hold two belts simultaneously, then you are automatically p4p best, and goat.

p4p #1 has one fight in 3 years lol

p4p #2 is conor mcgregir lmfao

thread starter sucks

it makes no sense, don't try to understand it

First off it's subjective and stupid and we all know. But if we're going by what it was created for, it was created in boxing to compare fighters between weight classes to see who was the best not taking into account size. Also. Fighters who have competed at multiple weight classes in boxing and had success would be ranked in the P4P more often then people who just compete in one. Going by this. Here is my top 5 current pound for pound.

1. GSP. Champion at 170, and 185. Just fought like 3, months ago and Hasn't said he is retiring.

2. Conor McGregor. Champion at 145, and 155. Undefetaed at 145, 155. 1-1 at 170.

3. Daniel cormier. Champion at 205. Former strikeforce champ at 265. Undefeated at HW. 2 losses at LHW(Technically).

4. Mighty mouse. 125 champion. Has many wins at 135.

This list isn't a GOAT list. It isn't most dominant champion list. It's what POUND FOR POUND was ment for. Que the name calling.

Current?

1. Has only fought once in the last 4 years.
2. Undefeated at 155? He has one fucking fight at 155! Has not fought at all in 2017. It's 2018, btw!
3. So why DC on 3 and Conor on 2, then? Undefeated, For champ, actual champ, losses to one guy, unlike 3 guys.

P4P is like talk about a lion and an elephant

P4P the lion is faster, more agile, more accurate, better technique and he's even proportionally stronger

1- If they were same size the lion will kill the elephant without minimal effort under a minute

2- But since they aren't the elephant can easily 1 shot kill him by simple stomp

Both points are true, but one does'nt apply to reality

UFC.com rankings even got Women in their P4P, its beyond ridiculous. So now we're not just hypothesizing they're on an even playing field in terms of size but gender too?!

P4P is simply a measurement of fighting skill and ability, without regard for weight.

No, the "pound for pound" term wasn't created for boxing. Nor was it "coined" for Sugar Ray Robinson as is often the myth. Plenty of boxers had the term associated with their names long before Robinson came along, or even before he was born. But the "pound for pound" term itself goes at least as far back as the 1800's and it was often used in the food and farming industries back then.

As for what the term means, it's right there in front of you and self explanatory. It's a comparison of one pound of this to one pound of that. Not complicated.

Back