What possesses strikers to take down BJJ blackbelts?

Takedowns score points..

I'd assume most ufc level fighters at the very least expect to survive if they land in a favourable position..

People who get hit in the head for a living often don't make the best decisions.

Mike Perry was an undefeated fighter until only a couple of years ago, despite not having much of a ground game. I think he's having a little trouble moving past the fact that he's not undefeated and undisputed anymore, that he's not invincible no matter what anymore.

I don't know....the best answers have already been given on here, so I thought I'd come up with something fresh.

Mike Perry took Ponzinibbio down too and ended up losing the round (and the fight) because of it

It's called fight IQ and not everybody has it

The takedown was good. It's just that he didn't get back up even when he had a chance to.

Sometimes the element of surprise is the best gameplan.

I mean, ahead of Penn/Fitch who thought Penn would be taking down Fitch? Certainly not Fitch, who clearly had not gameplanned to be the one on the bottom as the consensus was Penn wanted the fight to remain standing.

Everybody is a good striker, until they get turned into panic wrasslers.

Bad cardio or low fight IQ or a combination of both....

I mean from Mike Perry taking down Cerrone to all the way back to Tim Slyvia taking down Frank Mir. Its mind boggling.

I know the list goes on but help me out with other examples of this happening.
and why?

The why is low fight IQ.

I remember thinking why the hell did Melvin Guillard attempt to take down Diaz after his little show boating. That was a fight he was largely winning.

He was starting to slow down and was looking for a rest

A lot of similarities between that fight and Conor/Nate 1 actually

Dan Hardy was a brown belt when he executed a beautiful TD on Chris Lytle.

I remember thinking why the hell did Melvin Guillard attempt to take down Diaz after his little show boating. That was a fight he was largely winning.

Pressure. Guillard wasn't doing bad but often enough he wanted out of Nate's pressure. In this gif, he misses and wanted to avoid Nate's possible counterattack so he ducked and his wrestling instict kicked in.

I mean from Mike Perry taking down Cerrone to all the way back to Tim Slyvia taking down Frank Mir. Its mind boggling.

I know the list goes on but help me out with other examples of this happening.
and why?

Bad example to use. Perry doesn't strike me as the most intelligent person

These guys all train ground and they are alpha AF, so they probably think they are awesome at it. I think the fans romanticize beating your opponent in their strongest element too, which might get in a guy's head too.

Not sure Mark Hunt used to do it early in his career too.
It happens alot with kickboxers who are still novices at grappling. They do what they've been training to do but the fight iq isnt there yet. Alistair did alot of that,and still does sometimes.

Remember when Fedor fearlessly went into Big Nogs guard? General consensus was that willingly going to Big Nogs guard was stupid. Many years later, staying in Werdums guard was his downfall.
Fedor is a sambo and judo expert and not a pure striker of course, but still.
Some guys are well rounded or think of themselves as well rounded, strikes on the ground change the ground game also. Even in training with softer strikes it can mess with pure grapplers a lot.

I could see in Perrys case it is either lack of fight IQ, or not being able to handle the adrenaline while fighting(which could be seen as bad fight IQ I guess). So he gets overly aggressive and makes careless decisions.

Could be nerves also. When playing up variations of the fight in your head leading up to the fight, the ground might be what you are most worried about, while you also have trained a lot to improve your ground game, training for specific situations for this particular fight. Cage door closes and the adrenaline sets in, you might even take it to the ground to shut up the nerves and in a way rush the scenario you've trained for and worried about...
That’s not what happened in the Fedor-Werdum fight. Life is more than an MMA record in Wikipedia, my son.

That was one his dumbest moments. It's like he's never taken anyone down before so he didn't know what to do once it actually worked.

Back