What pistol do you carry?

I have a question about CCW.

I am about to buy a deal for a CCW class for $49. As far as I remember you need to pass the proficiency test with a handgun that you intend to carry. Does this just mean the caliber? I plan on buying a compact 9mm down the road, but when I take the class I will only have a full size gun. Does it matter?

No, it does not matter. They are looking to see how well you perform with the fire arm, they could care less what gun you're going to go out and buy after you pass the course. They will probably suggest that if your going to buy a 9mm to test with a 9mm, which it sounds like you already are. Best of luck to you man.

XD .45, now that I'm feeling comfortable with it. Took about 600 rounds, being my first handgun and all. I already am a fair sized guy and wear slightly big clothes, so concealment usually isn't too hard. Although I am definitely in the market for a better holster.

Lol who is everyone that is telling you this? Service pistol maybe, but if I am buying my own ammo then 9mm all the way. If you want something bigger, then go right to .45. From what I understand, .40 doesnt really have that much more stopping power, especially with 9mm hollow points, and you lose ammo capacity. To me, they just seem louder.

Depending on ammo it has more power and more velocity. Works both ways though, some makers have 9s that outperform their 40s as well.

I have three friends that just past there ccl and all purchased a .45. They all used the 9mm that were supplied and passed the shooting aspect fine. We went to the shooting range after buying the .45 and they all had 12-15 inch spreads between shots. smh

I would much rather know I can hit someone with a 9mm than miss all day with a .45. I'm not saying they won't be able to become a good shot with a .45 but it is harder and it will cost a lot more.

My bro just past his ccl and I gave him my 9mm xdm until he could afford a gun of his own.

Distance might have played a role too. Most ccw "qualifiers" are at 9-15ft a supposed to the 10-15yds must people practice for defensive shooting. But 12-15"spreads is still utterly pathetic.

At work, I carry the M9. Around town, H&K P2000.

I carry a Tanfoglio Witness Steel full size, its a CZ-75 clone. 9mm for carry in urban places and I slide on a new upper and magazine to carry 10mm in the woods.

Its a hell of a gun for a damn good price. Out of the box accuracy of a 1911 but for less money I got it in 9mm along with a 10mm conversion. It has a silver finish called "wonder finish" that is more corrosion resistant than stainless. I carry it in the woods and get it full of dirt and sweat and not a spec of rust or a scratch in 5 years of service.

Ive been putting some consideration into some of these lately:

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
3_A.jpg

Ive been putting some consideration into some of these lately:

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
3_A.jpg

Instead of the New Agent, I'd recommend the Defender. Same price but it comes with Hogue grips and actually has sights. I routinely see them for $795, $895 w/ night sights.

Springfield has some pretty cool sub compact 1911 style pistols for $700-$1000 as well.

The defender is without question an option to consider along side the new agent, Ive always found sights to be a positive thing as well. Thanks for the recommendations Cody.

Usually a Kahr pm9. Sometimes a Kahr p380 in the summer and sometimes a Glock 17 in the winter

+1. Pm9 most of the time. I toss a snubnose in a pocket holster in my cargo shorts pocket sometimes. As small as the PM9 is, the snubbie seems to conceal better in a pocket.

Instead of the New Agent, I'd recommend the Defender. Same price but it comes with Hogue grips and actually has sights. I routinely see them for $795, $895 w/ night sights.

Springfield has some pretty cool sub compact 1911 style pistols for $700-$1000 as well.

Yeah, the EMP is pretty sweet

EMP40resized.jpg

If only Caspian offered their Hi-Capacity 1911 frames in Officer size, that would be a beastly carry gun in .38 Super

st_lesbaerhicap_200902-a.jpg

Depending on ammo it has more power and more velocity. Works both ways though, some makers have 9s that outperform their 40s as well.

A lot of the .40's advantage over the 9mm in terms of stopping power is likely due to a larger permanent wound cavity and more rapid energy transfer to target. In addition to the larger cavity it creates I've read some studies suggesting that the .40 is more likely to create a strong enough ballistic pressure wave to immediately incapacitate the target than the 9mm because of it's larger diameter and usually higher energy levels.

There's definitely not too much of difference between the two though, IMO the .38 Super is probably superior to both in most applications anyway. Plus if your not hispanic and you ever have to kill somebody the police won't catch you because they'll be too busy looking for illegal alien gangbangers from Guatemala and shit.

and carry whatever you are comfortable concealing and shooting

Furry's got it. If you start carrying a .45 just because everyone tells you a 9mm isn't enough, how does that help you if you aren't comfortable shooting it or concealing it? If you're not comfortable shooting it, you won't practice with it, and you won't be able to use it effectively if you ever need to.

On you're ccw question, if you want to carry a semi auto, take the class with a semi. If you take the class with a revolver, you can only carry a revolver.

That may or may not be true. It depends on the state. Not all states have that requirement.

That may or may not be true. It depends on the state. Not all states have that requirement.

In my state we have one permit and it is needed to buy or carry any legal pistol/revolver. It doesn't discriminate.

The only class you have to take is NRA gun safety and I believe the NRA basic course in some towns. We literally sat in a classroom for two hours and then shot about 50 rounds of .22 each, that was it.

In my state we have one permit and it is needed to buy or carry any legal pistol/revolver. It doesn't discriminate.

The only class you have to take is NRA gun safety and I believe the NRA basic course in some towns. We literally sat in a classroom for two hours and then shot about 50 rounds of .22 each, that was it.

I got my CCW in Tennessee and it was the same way. It was about a three or four hour class, then had to "qualify" on a target at like 10 meters. Any handgun you want, doesn't have to be the one you want to carry, or same caliber/style at all.

In Utah it's even easier. About a three hour class, no shooting required. You can carry whatever.

Oh and what I carry depends on how I'm dressed. Usually a 9mm XD subcompact or Taurus .357 snub revolver, both in IWB holsters from JBP. If I'm wearing a jacket and can conceal more gun, then sometimes I carry my HK USP .40 Tactical just for shits and giggles. In the summer when I'm just wearing shorts and t shirt (or in the rare event I have to wear dress clothes), Kel Tec P32.

I'm carrying a Sig Sauer P238 right now in this summer heat.
I love it and my wife also has one that she carries all year. Not to mention that I got it far a absolute steal on Black Friday last year.

Back