What MMA fighter was most classy in defeat?

I always liked Chael's speeches after losses.

(Timestamped)

Terrible loser.
He lied to that man, gave him a false sense of confidence

Led him into a trap against Wandy

Despicable
But jokes aside, RIP dude was classy to the end

Meh, it’s just a difference of opinion. Two people seeing and hearing the same thing and thinking differently.
Conor is fantastic, but I think he makes excuses and often times its immediately after.

I agree with your first two sentences.

But here’s what interests me in all of this:

Does saying what you think went wrong or what you didn’t expect or what hindered you to win simply an “excuse?”

Does it necessarily take credit away from an opponent?

I might lose in basketball to a prime Michael Jordan (on a bad day)

If I said after it’s cause he’s the GOAT an excuse? What qualifies something as an excuse rather than just identifying various factors that affected the fight/competition?

I agree.

But here’s the real talking point in my opinion:

Does saying what you think went wrong or what you didn’t expect or what hindered you to win simply an “excuse?”

Does it necessarily take credit away from an opponent?

I might lose in basketball to a prime Michael Jordan (on a bad day)

If I said after it’s cause he’s the GOAT an excuse? What qualifies something as an excuse rather than just identifying various factors that affected the fight/competition?

I only ask cause you are smart enough to have a discsussion with.

This is why it’s a matter of opinion. Because an excuse and a valid reason are often the same thing, it’s just how it’s presented and how it’s taken.

When I hear Conor talk after a fight, I personally don’t hear him giving his opponent credit or implying that he was the better man that night (even though he will actually say it sometimes). I hear “Man, I made a mistake but I’m still better lets do it again because this is basically a fluke”. Which isn’t what I consider a classy loser. But I will say I don’t mind it at all, I like athletes who are cocky and don’t actually believe they will ever lose.

This is why it’s a matter of opinion. Because an excuse and a valid reason are often the same thing, it’s just how it’s presented and how it’s taken.

When I hear Conor talk after a fight, I personally don’t hear him giving his opponent credit or implying that he was the better man that night (even though he will actually say it sometimes). I hear “Man, I made a mistake but I’m still better lets do it again because this is basically a fluke”. Which isn’t what I consider a classy loser. But I will say I don’t mind it at all, I like athletes who are cocky and don’t actually believe they will ever lose.

It’s hard for someone who truly believes he is the best to lose and give credit to another fighter. Conor does the best he can while staying true to his belief he is the greatest. (Which belief might be gone after the Khabib mauling honestly.)

I think it’s part of what spurs competition.

I used to be one of the best trash talkers I knew- I did it to get the best out of my opponents to ensure they would literally never go easy on me for any reason.

After a loss, I would still believe I was capable of beating them and would want to challenge them until I learned how.

We do agree on most of this I think.

I believe, sometimes, the best way to give honest credit is to talk about where they were better but admitting you think you can beat them next time.

My first thought was Clay Guida -- even in defeat, he's still bouncing around, clapping, giving his opponent and team hugs!

Well it sure as hell isn't Stipe. Dude turned into a psycho ex girlfriend after getting KO'd.

He was very classy about it shortly afterwards, like he's been before with defeats. This has been very uncharacteristic of him, and I think it's partly the stress of trying to get a rematch before DC's promised imminent retirement materializes and hoping goading him might work, partly his manager's input on his social media.

Robbie Lawler

GSP was class.

Edit: worthy thread.

Randy strapped that thing around Barnett no problem.

Rampage is a weird case of being both a sore loser and the only fighter I can remember that admits defeat after winning controversial decisions. He gave full props to Machida and Ninja.

00001.gif

Conor. He is always humble in victory OR defeat!

Back