What McGregor and Holloway teach us about modern MMA

Yeah, and so ? Anderson was a skinny WW at his debut. That does not mean it's his natural weight. He's a natural MW and he has been so the majority of his career. Just like McGregor is a natural LW that he will be the majority of his career (he's only 30 and is not fighting much)
{<doc}

I don't think you understand the point of my argument.

Fighter's natural weight class varies based on his/her physical status. Fighter's physique changes as time goes by due to the natural muscle gain which is the unavoidable result of an intensive training. Let's put it this way, when Brock was 15 years old, his natural weight class at that time would've been welterweight, regardless how heavy he is at the age of 41.

Last edited:
TS is not wrong.

Suicide cutting to fight midgets is how Conor made his name. In reality he's 2-1 against guys his own size and would have lost more had he not fled from 155 with his tail tucked.

Max's career might be over altogether.

After somebody dies the UFC might change shit.

I think that you’ll find that Conor ‘made his name’ becoming a two weight cage warrior champion.

He then signed to the ufc to fight a short notice fight that was at featherweight, and come subsequently signed to fight at that weight class.

People also get bigger with age, and Conor moved up weight just as he always intended and said he would.

This narrative of him going down to fight ‘midgets’ like Holloway, Aldo, and Poirer is laughable. The majority of people he has fought in his mma career have been around the same height or taller than him.

Keep hating.

TS is not wrong.

Suicide cutting to fight midgets is how Conor made his name. In reality he's 2-1 against guys his own size and would have lost more had he not fled from 155 with his tail tucked.

Max's career might be over altogether.

After somebody dies the UFC might change shit.
you are such an emotional, irrational man. i really hope for all involved you never get the chance to lead people in your line of work

They taught us to consider ourselves lucky if we get to see a champion defend a title.

{<doc}

I don't think you understand the point of my argument.

Fighter's natural weight class varies based on his/her physical status. Fighter's physique changes as time goes by due to the natural muscle gain which is the unavoidable result of an intensive training. Let's put it this way, when Brock was 15 years old, his natural weight class at that time would've been welterweight, regardless how heavy he is at the age of 41.

Ok but when Conor was a FW in the UFC it was not his actual "physical status". He had no longer that FW frame and became a LW with intense training, as you said.
So before he was able to navigate more easily between FW and LW, but when he grew stronger in the UFC it was clear that he had to go through a massive weight cut to stay at FW

Is it really moving up two weight classes when both you and your opponent just agreed to not cut weight?
It's a pretty amazing achievement really, if you go by Sherdog logic. McGregor was fighting at featherweight, and then managed to take a fight at welterweight without moving up a single weight class, let alone two. It's like he transcends weight.

Good thread by TS

Aldo only ever lost to natural LWs.

Somebody remind us of dc going to the olympics.

Both of them have practiced weight cutting to an extreme point. Had Conor continued for another few years and he might would have ended like Max..

I'm just refering to them because they are a perfect example of this Idea that you have to capitalize on your early career to kill yourself cutting weight and dwarf your oppponents at the lower weight class, which is not your natural weight class.

I am aware that almost all fighters cut weight, but not to that point. Holloway should have never been a FW, neither McGregor. Their success is partly due to the CRAZY amount of weight they were able to cut during their camp.

And that shows that fighters are considering damaging their health at a young age while getting all the Glory for being dominant at a weight class they dont even belong.. once they get older they start fighting at their natural weight, where things get more interesting..

Edit: props to Whittaker for going up a class and dominating. And of course Big up to BJ Penn, who never agreed to this weight cutting bullshit and became a two weight class World Champion, with victories and defeats

How He made WW is a miracle.......... I legit used to be worried for his health.

BJ Penn, who never agreed to this weight cutting bullshit and became a two weight class World Champion, with victories and defeats

Uh. . Kinda true, but Penn moved up and won the belt because the LW division taken out

It's a pretty amazing achievement really, if you go by Sherdog logic. McGregor was fighting at featherweight, and then managed to take a fight at welterweight without moving up a single weight class, let alone two. It's like he transcends weight.
Fair enough, I made a really dumb comment.

But remember at that time McGregor was going for the lightweight belt so for those fights with Nate he was more of a light weight who didn’t cut weight rather than a FW who went up 2 weight classes.

I’m no giant Mcgregor hater like some around here. I give him props for taking the short notic Nate fight and bouncing right back for the rematch.

Ok but when Conor was a FW in the UFC it was not his actual "physical status". He had no longer that FW frame and became a LW with intense training, as you said.
So before he was able to navigate more easily between FW and LW, but when he grew stronger in the UFC it was clear that he had to go through a massive weight cut to stay at FW

None of that are subjected to my argument. I'm simply disputing the area in the op where you claimed fighters such as Conor and Max intentionally fight below their weight class in order to gain an advantage over their opponents.

Khabib, Ferguson, Chiesa all cut a shit ton more weight than Conor. DC cuts 30lbs at 205lbs, his own words on Ariels podcast.

Not discrediting anything but he had a big size advantage over Mendes, Brandao, almost everyone. Except for Poirier. You can't deny that he was bigger than almost anyone he faced at that weight class. Dwarfing is a sherdog amplification, but you see my point

You are trying to discredit LoL.

Size advantage doesn’t always mean shit. Look at Daniel Cormier
/thread

you are such an emotional, irrational man. i really hope for all involved you never get the chance to lead people in your line of work
You're hysterical. Having your monthlies I assume.

The man was twice his size.

69dac34ce24f6e6084f34d510f7aac96.jpg

Wait, I thought it was t’ree times...

Back