What martial art is best for me?

DynamiteHands

White Belt
@White
Reaction score
Kinda in a rut about what to do with the rest of my 20s. I'm 22 yrs old and i plan on becoming a professional fighter in the near future. I enjoy basically all martial arts but I tend to gravitate towards striking even though I do have a small wrestling background. I'm currently just a boxer right now but I wanna expand my fighting knowledge. While I do have my mind made up about fighting I still don't know what discipline to really dedicate myself to. Wrestling was cool I guess, getting to slam people and stuff but I never was passionate about it though. I tried jiu jitsu a few times and while it was kinda interesting at first my mind just couldn't get off of boxing or striking for that matter. I don't think grappling is boring , and I do think it's very useful to know but I like punching and kicking more. So what is the best match for me? Boxing, Muay Thai , kickboxing . Also what pays the best? Glory, UFC , Muay Thai etc....

gtfo20.gif

Because boxing is now popular everybody will training that and you should be the best in something different

so you've done nothing since August, when you asked virtually the same question?

http://forums.sherdog.com/threads/i-am-conflicted-and-confused.3596057/

it's time to quit talking about it. i suggest you sell your iphone and your mountain bike and move to Thailand. if you can last in a gym there for longer than 2 weeks, you're on your way. plan to fight before June. if you're still training in Sept, you'll know it's not just a fleeting fancy.

or join a McGym, keep your day job, and have fun 3 evenings a week. if you feel the need to test yourself only sorta, then join a boxing gym that hold smokers (with headgear).

Last edited:
I jumped right into amateur mma fighting with just a high school wrestling backround. It worked great for my first match, after that not so much.

If you only want to focus on one form of fighting and you like to strike, well there is your answer.

You are planning this backwards.

First select your tattoos that others will marvel at then figure out your martial arts. Think of it when you construct a character in a video game: appearance first.

You are welcome.

duh, tkd.

it's like dim mak, only legal and accessible.

Imo you are ridiculously young. So you have time to do things right.

with that in mind I recommend a year/season of rugby. Seriously. You will develop ridiculous cardio, explosiveness, toughness and ability to take down any motherfoker of any size and weight. Thats good because you will create a state of mind where weight and size arent so important, I mean you will through practice and trial and error develop technique in your grappling.

That way you got fitness and wrestling covered.

I recommend some kind of jiujitsu focused on technique and drilling not rolling because imo rolling too much is a injury-factory. Trust me you dont want to fuck up your neck at 22 years old.

Striking wise do kiokushin and boxing. The boxing complements kiokushin by teaching you defense and headmovement. From kiokushin you will learn to punch the correct way because they train/sparr bareknuckle.
You will learn how not to fuck up your wrists and knuckles.

Sailing is spectacular for stability.

I think that at your age you should first create a solid base and imo thats your best move.

Good luck!

so you've done nothing since August, when you asked virtually the same question?

http://forums.sherdog.com/threads/i-am-conflicted-and-confused.3596057/

it's time to quit talking about it. i suggest you sell your iphone and your mountain bike and move to Thailand. if you can last in a gym there for longer than 2 weeks, you're on your way. plan to fight before June. if you're still training in Sept, you'll know it's not just a fleeting fancy.

or join a McGym, keep your day job, and have fun 3 evenings a week. if you feel the need to test yourself only sorta, then join a boxing gym that hold smokers (with headgear).
Perfect answer, horribly underrated.

Back