What makes the ps4 so popular in Europe?

BjPenn2017

Silver Belt
@Silver
Reaction score
Ps4, Ps2 and Ps1 all pretty much trounced there competition in Europe which is a large portion of there sales. Ps4 has outsold Xbox 2 to 1 this gen so far, but most of those sales come from Europe where ps4 roughly outsells it 3 to 1 at 9 million Xb1 to 29 million ps4.

Only system to even come close to Sony in sales of consoles outside of handhelds which seem to be extremely popular in Europe, was the Wii. Wii was a total gimmick tho so it kind of makes sense as something that kind of caught on over there.

What the hell makes Sony so popular in Europe when it comes to home consoles to others?

http://www.vgchartz.com/analysis/platform_totals/

xbox has a shitty name, looks shitty and is from microsoft.

ps4 looks cooler, cooler design, is from sony and has the tekken history.

jeah.. easy choice.

Ps4, Ps2 and Ps1 all pretty much trounced there competition in Europe which is a large portion of there sales. Ps4 has outsold Xbox 2 to 1 this gen so far, but most of those sales come from Europe where ps4 roughly outsells it 3 to 1 at 9 million Xb1 to 29 million ps4.

Only system to even come close to Sony in sales of consoles outside of handhelds which seem to be extremely popular in Europe, was the Wii. Wii was a total gimmick tho so it kind of makes sense as something that kind of caught on over there.

What the hell makes Sony so popular in Europe when it comes to home consoles to others?

http://www.vgchartz.com/analysis/platform_totals/
Microsoft did everything they could in order to tank the launch of the XBox One back in 2013. It also didn't help that the always on requirement with the pairing of an infra-red surveillance device (the Kinect 2.0) guaranteed that it was going to be barred from a lot of EU countries.

Just take a look at any of the old Don Matrrick pressers from 2013 and it should become obvious.

Xbox blew their big North American advantage and became even worse overseas. Sony has better games and performed better for much of this latest console cycle, although Xbox has upgraded letely. But the design of Sony appeals more to Europeans and Japanese, and a lot of Americans as well are starting to prefer that type of aesthetics.

Don't forget that Microsoft also thought it was a smart idea to delay the launch for some of the richest European countries by a year. I personally many xbox gamers who switched to ps4 for this reason.

Microsoft originally revealed Xbox One would launch in 21 markets in November, but the company says it's delaying the availability in some European countries. Eight countries have been hit with a delay to 2014: Belgium, Denmark, Finland, Netherlands, Norway, Russia, Sweden, and Switzerland. The Xbox One will now launch in 13 markets in November: Australia, Austria, Brazil, Canada, France, Germany, Ireland, Italy, Mexico, Spain, United Kingdom, US, and New Zealand.

Don't forget that Microsoft also thought it was a smart idea to delay the launch for some of the richest European countries by a year. I personally many xbox gamers who switched to ps4 for this reason.

Microsoft originally revealed Xbox One would launch in 21 markets in November, but the company says it's delaying the availability in some European countries. Eight countries have been hit with a delay to 2014: Belgium, Denmark, Finland, Netherlands, Norway, Russia, Sweden, and Switzerland. The Xbox One will now launch in 13 markets in November: Australia, Austria, Brazil, Canada, France, Germany, Ireland, Italy, Mexico, Spain, United Kingdom, US, and New Zealand.
Good point. That's what put PlayStation behind the 8-ball in North America with the PS3. Even though the PS3 was more advanced in many ways, such as having Blu-Ray discs for both games and movies, and far superior memory. For instance, with games like L.A. Noire, it all came on one disc with the PS3, but took three on Xbox 360. Eventually, the PS3 sold a lot of units in North America towards the end of the console cycle, with standout exclusives like The Last of Us, and they actually ended up slightly outselling the Xbox 360 worldwide due to having a big advantage in Europe, Japan and other markets. Sony learned from their mistake, but Microsoft ended up making the same mistake Sony had and more.

All those countries listed, football(soccer)is their number 1 sport. They can't wait to play fifa.

To be honest it actually blows my mind that xbox even still exists and actually did better last gen than PS3. Playstation is so far ahead in my opinion I honestly can't understand how anyone could prefer xboxOne to PS4.

Microsoft shit the bed with their announcement conference. Before the conferences, Xbox 1 was way more popular. After the conference the PS4 was way more popular. They lost the trust of their customers and never really regained then.

Better console without the crap like Kinect, and better exclusives.

The Wii actually won that console generation, people always forget.

Even though I've been playing games almost exclusively on PC for the last six months, I still use my PS4 all the time for multimedia. Just installed the Amazon Prime app recently too. I originally bought it for the game exclusives but it's become a neat little entertainment centre for me. Great value for the money.

Better console without the crap like Kinect, and better exclusives.

The Wii actually won that console generation, people always forget.

No, because the console is a loss leader for Sony and MS. They make money on games sold via license fees. You sell a WII and two games or a Xbox and 50 Games.

Microsoft did everything they could in order to tank the launch of the XBox One back in 2013. It also didn't help that the always on requirement with the pairing of an infra-red surveillance device (the Kinect 2.0) guaranteed that it was going to be barred from a lot of EU countries.

Just take a look at any of the old Don Matrrick pressers from 2013 and it should become obvious.
They really did sabotage themselves in 2013. I was an Xbox fanboy back then and I went with PS4

The one X has actually been good to me so far though

Thanks for the responses guys. Just thought it was weird when so many had an Xbox 360 in europe they wouldn't switch over to the Xbone.

I agree the press conference was pretty crippling though, they wanted to put a fucking monopoly on console gaming at that point. No sharing discs, online always 24/7 was pretty fucking bad.

Throw in the fact the system cost 100$ more than the PS4 for a piece of hardware nobody fucking wanted and marketed towards people wanting to use Netflix not play games it's definitely understandable. Lol

for me personally the exclusives were always the deal breaker

PS4 just has much more and way better exclusive titles

Back