What makes Bisping such a great fighter?

Goat at ducking.

(He has skills too, but I doubt he would be champ if he had to actually earn his shot by winning a #1 contender fight or actually defend against contenders instead of retirees)

Nothing. He's not great, not even close to being great. He's just very good.

This. He's a career gatekeeper who stayed in the game long enough to finally win the belt. He is essentially mma's Cinderella Man, only you don't think of him tha way because he is a natural heel.

Current champ is not a gatekeeper. He knocked Luke out cold.

Jacare is a career gatekeeper, not the count.

And ts, the answer is grit. He's been successful based on hard work and grit.

He was considered a gatekeeper for a decade. His win against Rockhold came out of left field, and his only defense is against an ancient Hendo(which itself was controversial). If he retired today, he would be remembered as a career gatekeeper who won the belt. If he goes on a dominant run, that might change.

{<tongue}
He was considered a gatekeeper for a decade. His win against Rockhold came out of left field, and his only defense is against an ancient Hendo(which itself was controversial). If he retired today, he would be remembered as a career gatekeeper who won the belt. If he goes on a dominant run, that might change.

Goat at ducking.

(He has skills too, but I doubt he would be champ if he had to actually earn his shot by winning a #1 contender fight or actually defend against contenders instead of retirees)

Yeah I know... I mean I just don't see why beating a totally legitimate and respected champ (knocking him out cold) should garner any respect? He really should've beat a number 1 contender BEFORE knocking the current champ out cold... that would certainly make his reign as champion more legitimate in my eyes...

100% right on all points. Especially the last one. He always knew he would be champ one day even when seemingly the whole world was against him. The Count just kept calm and carried on.

Well that's a complete exaggeration now isn't it? Gatekeeper for a decade? Even when he was stringing wins together like daisy chains... of course his KO to Hendo was a major setback for him, but the guy refuses to quit and has been underestimated possibly more than any other fighter on the roster. He had a brief win-loss-win-loss spell (although one such loss was against a jacked up roided out Vitor) and many started labelling him a 'journeyman' but again, he came back to prove the haters wrong. Now he's the MW champ and rightfully so... deal with it.

Also... gatekeepers don't win the belt. Champions do.

Yeah I know... I mean I just don't see why beating a totally legitimate and respected champ (knocking him out cold) should garner any respect? He really should've beat a number 1 contender BEFORE knocking the current champ out cold... that would certainly make his reign as champion more legitimate in my eyes...

100% right on all points. Especially the last one. He always knew he would be champ one day even when seemingly the whole world was against him. The Count just kept calm and carried on.

Well that's a complete exaggeration now isn't it? Gatekeeper for a decade? Even when he was stringing wins together like daisy chains... of course his KO to Hendo was a major setback for him, but the guy refuses to quit and has been underestimated possibly more than any other fighter on the roster. He had a brief win-loss-win-loss spell (although one such loss was against a jacked up roided out Vitor) and many started labelling him a 'journeyman' but again, he came back to prove the haters wrong. Now he's the MW champ and rightfully so... deal with it.

Also... gatekeepers don't win the belt. Champions do.

He lost to every top 5 ranked opponent he fought for the first decade he was in the UFC. That's not hyperbole; he literally lost to every fighter that was ranked in the top 5 for his first decade in the UFC. In the twilight of his career, he was able to pull out a decision against ancient Anderson, finsish Rockhold(the signature win of his career), and decision ancient Hendo. His legacy is his tenacity and longevity.

He lost to every top 5 ranked opponent he fought for the first decade he was in the UFC. That's not hyperbole; he literally lost to every fighter that was ranked in the top 5 for his first decade in the UFC. In the twilight of his career, he was able to pull out a decision against ancient Anderson, finsish Rockhold(the signature win of his career), and decision ancient Hendo. His legacy is his tenacity and longevity.

I remember when Bisping haters used to use "he's never beaten a top 10 fighter"... it's interesting to see that now it's been reduced to "he never beat a top 5 fighter" although... as 'ancient and decrepit' as frail old Anderson may have been, was he not a top 5 fighter when they fought? Maybe not, I can't be bothered to check, but I'd be surprised if he wasn't.

Furthermore... to expand on your argument that his win over AS was meaningless due to AS being 'ancient' the guy was still one of the best and most feared fighters of his generation. Is Nick Diaz' win over BJ Penn any less impressive? Is Hendo's KO of Fedor any less impressive? I think these fighters along with a lot of fans would argue quite strongly to the contrary.

Finally, whilst I do appreciate Bisping's choice of opponents has been questionable as champ I disagree with the criticism relating to the Hendo fight. If you were knocked out cold by a heavy power puncher which went on to be known as one of the most famous and devastating knockouts in UFC history... I think you would be a little tentative about getting back in the cage with that guy, especially when as champ you have so much to lose. Also I appreciate Hendo was pretty old by that point, but he was no less respected as a fighter. Many had him pegged to even challenge JBJ and he was coming off a KO win over 185 prospect Hector Lombard

Vitor was caught with high levels of testosterone and caused trt to be banned. Sorry you're ignorant.
LOL at your delusion. Chael, Hendo and so on were all using the “treatment” to cheat. There was nothing special about Vitor.

Vitor was caught with high levels of testosterone and caused trt to be banned. Sorry you're ignorant.
And it was not banned from exclusively because of Vítor. That’s a ridiculously childish view. You can’t ban a “treatment” because one person uses it to cheat.

Bisping is the MW GOAT currently under USADA.

Had USADA been around in the beginning of Bisping's career his record would be 31-3-4NC.

Fights against Hendo 1, Belfort, Sonnen and Wand would be a NC due to steroids and TRT under USADA.

USADA has established a level playing field and a clean fighter like Bisping has finally become a defending champion.

Prevailed against Hendo in a rematch who still carried his TRT infused KO Power due to years of TRT usage but USADA era Bisping fought against the tyranny of TRT in a Fight of the Night performance and won the fight which is a little bit of justice for clean fighters.

The best clean fighter in the UFC.

the guy cardio is excellent and he doesn't stall. He has a high volume amount of strikes which is why he won those fights against Henderson and Silva. He's the complete opposite of Woodley.

Nothing. He's not great, not even close to being great. He's just very good.

He's a classic example of what happens when you stick the UFC belt on someone and turn up the hype a bit, much of the fanbase will go with it.

What u guys say? Is it the skills, the heart, the IQ?

Bisping fans are welcome :)
Fighting guys in their 40s might make you look better than you are.

Bisping is a shitstain.

<15>

Back