What makes Anderson Silva appear more aware and in control

Discussion in 'Standup Technique' started by ConcreteCracker, Jun 8, 2018.

1. Sano

Sano Black Belt

Alistair, Spong, Schilling, Cyril, Schilt, Saki, Sefo and a few other ones to choose from. Most of them looked a lot worse striking in MMA, but then there's primes and such as well. Schilling and Saki for instance were both pretty much past their prime when they transitioned. Obviously then there's Hunt, Cro Cop and Mousasi who have been fighting MMA for so long that they would probably classify as MMA fighters before Kickboxers. You could add Alistair there as well.

Monte Moku likes this.
  2. Snubnoze707

Snubnoze707 High Level

That's true, and their are clearly variables that come into play with the difference in MMA and Kickboxing striking, but so too often do I see "Kickboxer loses therefore it doesn't translate" without actually analysing the intangibles. There's always a big deal made when a Kickboxer loses by strikes in MMA, and it gets used as a blanket sweep while ignoring the success they have also had. Also ignoring things like Saki has been knocked out 6 times in Kickboxing as well.

Monte Moku likes this.
  3. ConcreteCracker

ConcreteCracker White Belt

Well modern Kickboxing is different from Muay Thai but very simular being Kickboxing pretty much modeled itself from Muay Thai over time.

But assuming I believe based on 0 evidence that I'm confusing MMA stand up with Kickboxing and or Muay Thai stand up is peculiar. I understand the differences in which I wouldn't seek an answer from a Kickboxer or Muay Thai fighter of something that's not in the aspect of said striking styles.

As I stated before, I'm interested in more so Anderson Silva's striking techniques and defense to it.

Although Saki lost his fight that doesn't go for every Pro Striker that stepped in the octagon. Pro Strikers like Alistair Overeem Mirko Cro Cop, Mark Hunt an Pat Barry didn't really change much from their Kickboxing other than adding more to other aspects in their arsenal.

Just because Gokhan Saki lost doesn't mean his Kickboxing doesn't translate to MMA or the striking is different for every fighter. He got caught with a straight down the middle throwing a rear roundhouse leg kick. That's in the aspect of Kickboxing. MMA stand up in general is different but striking in the octagon depends on you and what your looking for. If I were talking about a fighter like Kevin Randleman who's striking is just there to set up his clinch and or takedowns then maybe I could see what you mean but even then, if I was talking about his striking specifically it shouldn't be a problem unless I'm asking on how I would defend or attempt something out of Kickboxing or Muay Thai

Example: Single or Double Leg takedown

If I have a question based on anything else, I wont be in this form asking about judo/ greco roman tosses, takedowns, ground sweeps and submissions. That's going on a Stand up or MMA forum, but if I have a question or want to show something and maybe learn about striking then Im going to a group of people who will more than likely exceed in the experience and knowledge of the aspect. I believe and am highly confident im in the right place.

4. Reyesnuthugr

Reyesnuthugr Dominick Reyes Belt

Anderson Silva appears more aware because he is more aware. He knows more things, therefore he can calculate 1000% better than his opponents, and be several steps ahead

Anderson has no real ego. He has realized that it gets in the way and discarded it. Everyone else (including most fighters) like the comforting feel of the ego to a large degree, they can't fully let go. They underestimate the severity of the toll it takes. It's not about YOU, it's about the art itself and how well you can integrate/accommodate it without getting in the way of its use with your ego. Most people's judgements are not sound or accurate because they demand to judge things and write them off in relation to a reference point they were given: the pride of their own identities, relatives, locales, upbringings. Therefore they cannot see things (subtle but important things) from an unhindered, unobstructed view

How do you get around this? We all have upbringings with biases. These biases will activate automatically without our approval.

Here's the key: observe not just broad but unique results. Now refuse to let anything get in the way of further investigation. Repeat and observe. No write-offs. Just observation and notes. Refine. Repeat. Use the ACTUAL scientific method you are all so proud of having stored up your buttholes to allow you to admit any self imperfections in the first place

ConcreteCracker likes this.
  5. ConcreteCracker

Thank you for your opinion

I think this is a great, true and important point you have made. I myself have went through this a bit, because of my upbringing I was heavily favored towards not just punching but Boxing being raised in Brentwood it's the only aspect of fighting that was excepted by my peers, otherwise anything else was seen as "Bitch ass pussy shit" there fore you would lose respect from said peers.

I abandoned that ideology being
    #1 I'm the one that's fighting,
    #2 It's easy to talk trash when they're not fight especially when your busy fighting someone else and
    #3 Anything that ends a fight stopping an opponent via force will gain respect or earn it by said method.

Eventually I found a way to turn that negative into a positive. I find myself limiting my arsenal purposely mostly because If I try to find multiple answers in one aspect. This allows me to be more aware of my tools, if I have a deeper understanding of it also putting them all aspects together would allow for me to have alot more to work with.

So purposefully limiting myself to only using Boxing or rather punching in general against someone using they're whole striking and or grappling arsenal.

When you have a true but good look at yourself or rather in this case myself, it's really hard to even think of having an egotistical view knowing my faults, blunders and imperfections.

Use the truth to your advantage.

Reyesnuthugr likes this.
  6. rmongler

rmongler Brown Belt

Joke: "I will be unbiased"

Woke: "I will pick my biases"

Reyesnuthugr likes this.
  7. Silver tongue samurai

Silver tongue samurai Ronin

There is a specific standup forum for stuff exactly like this and "are you talking about KB, MT, MMA, Boxing?" Is usually asked on a thread (if not implied) because its just an over all standup (or striking) forum. No need for the passive agression. You posted in MT and KB but made points on TD defense so its obvious people would question it.
    Dont know if its a language thing but once again.no. dont put things related to grappling in a stand up forum (unless clinch related) mma should be fine because grappling is an aspect of it but those are literally all grappling related things you mentioned so maybe post them in idk..the grappling forum.

Monte Moku likes this.
  8. Reyesnuthugr

Reyesnuthugr Dominick Reyes Belt

I know you (rmongler) already gets the point but if anyone is confused by this, to clarify- it means to start unbiased (get rid of pre-existing biases) and to selectively pick up certain biases based on a never-ending cycle of repetitive testing, observation, and thoughtful consideration. Basically this entails shutting TFU and doing/testing in place of assuming and boasting about assumptions. That's the Anderson way to train.

Last edited: Jul 15, 2018 at 1:21 PM
  9. ConcreteCracker

Thank You

As the takedown defense and mount, yes you are 110% in the right holding me accountable for that. I didn't really post that as a question looking to get answers for. I was simply stating what happened in the fight and the amount of control it allowed him to have, however I didn't think from that it would really bring issues. Regardless I will take that piece of advice next time and not do that.

As for the second piece of advice, I may post stand up grappling here if it's Muay Thai clinch based. I am aware that the aspect of general clinching is stand up and everything I stated is MMA related. No jab nor insult intended but as a curious question. How did you read and perceive that? Because when I explained that part I was pretty sure I explained my thoughts well about what post go where.

"I wont be in this form asking about judo/ greco roman tosses, takedowns, ground sweeps and submissions. That's going on a Stand up or MMA forum"

Judo/ greco roman tosses = Stand Up

Takedowns, ground sweeps and submissions = MMA

Also you stated I'm being passive aggressive, I don't believe I was but if you could bring me a statement I texted I'l be more than willing to explain myself.

10. Replay19

Replay19 Orange Belt

I find it rather disrespectful that everyone here likes to dismiss Silva's entire career just by the laced supplements and the Weidman controversy that was all in post 2012. Prior to that he is the greatest the UFC ever had. He even gave Michael Bisping a hard time during Bisping's prime. You guys got to give Silva some credit, it's highly unlikely he is coked up on steroids like we would think WWE people do. Even pre-Weidman fights, he was always clean during his earlier years and rocked the roid fighters like Chael Sonnen. Honestly steroids make a person aggressive and irrational, tired and short breathed. It changes people emotionally over time, and Silva has still been the same. Whatever pain relievers he took to help out his broken leg just accidentally happened to have some illegal substance, which he does not know of, blame it on his nutritionist/dieter not himself. Like he would actually want to roid himself up, I highly doubt it. There's definitely some shady politics going on against this guy, and I think we should sympathize instead of just shit on his entire career over some controversy we don't truly know about.

Rants aside, I'm curious about Silva's background. Where did he look his boxing skills from? Chute boxing is more muay thai and jj, but where did he learn his boxing skills from? That, I am curious. His boxing skills are really good.

11. Tayski

Tayski Stand-up Fighting

PEDs are not just steroids though, he could have been on any kind of other drugs during his career. Personally he was my favourite fighter in the UFC, but I can't be a fan of someone who cheats.

He was one of the most skilled strikers in the UFC and I respect his talent talent for that, but I don't respect him as an athlete anymore.

12. cade187

cade187 I'm not a part of your system.

Says more about you than it does Anderson.

13. Replay19

Replay19 Orange Belt

Stuff regarding PEDS or roids whatever only started happening post-Weidman fight. Prior to that, I wholeheartedly believe he was clean. Wasn't until that broken shin incident.