What makes a successful competitor/athlete?

Submission

Yellow Belt
@Yellow
Reaction score
Hi guys.
In order to be a champion one athlete must combine a multitude of factors such as talent, good teammates (both in terms of camraderie as well as good rolling), good coach, physical training, dedication, etc etc. However, which one of these you think it is the most important? Do you think that a guy who is a physical beast and is dedicated will be more successful than a talented guy who doesn't work so much? Or not-so-talented hardworker with great training environment will be beaten by a technical guy with great coaching but who doesn't have regular hard sparring?
These are just as examples just to know your opinion in what is importante to make an accomplished competiter. Some things like dedication and hardwork anyone can achieve, but other aspects as great coaching or a great team not everyone has access to it, so I'd like to know your opinion about what you think that is most important.
This is applied to Jiu Jitsu/Submission Grappling, but you can talk about other sports if you want.

Most important? Don't miss practice.

Mindset is the most important i think. With the right mindset everything else will fall into place.

success means different things to different people. but in general, to be a successful competitor, you have to constantly train, learn, compete, learn...rinse and repeat!

All the top guys have all those things. Your comparisons between people who lack something, whether it's talent, coaching, work ethic, whatever are inherently comparisons between sub-elite competitors. Every once in a while you'll get someone who is so insanely talented that they reach a high level with serious deficiencies in coaching or work ethic, but it's very very rare. But in general, all the top guys are very athletic, have great coaches and training partners, and work extremely hard on their BJJ. I do think that what separates the gold medalists from the other guys on the podium (when there is a separation, it depends on the division) is coherence of game and game plan. Being able to force the match into areas where you're better. Bernardo Faria and Romulo Barral are masters of this, as were Marcelo Garcia and Roger Gracie. It's much harder to win at the very top level consistently playing a more open, diverse game though people like Buchecha and Braulio Estima have managed to do it. But in general I do think that having a very coherent game plan that you are very good at directing the match into is a key to consistent high level success.

All the top guys have all those things. Your comparisons between people who lack something, whether it's talent, coaching, work ethic, whatever are inherently comparisons between sub-elite competitors. Every once in a while you'll get someone who is so insanely talented that they reach a high level with serious deficiencies in coaching or work ethic, but it's very very rare. But in general, all the top guys are very athletic, have great coaches and training partners, and work extremely hard on their BJJ. I do think that what separates the gold medalists from the other guys on the podium (when there is a separation, it depends on the division) is coherence of game and game plan. Being able to force the match into areas where you're better. Bernardo Faria and Romulo Barral are masters of this, as were Marcelo Garcia and Roger Gracie. It's much harder to win at the very top level consistently playing a more open, diverse game though people like Buchecha and Braulio Estima have managed to do it. But in general I do think that having a very coherent game plan that you are very good at directing the match into is a key to consistent high level success.

Good point. One name that comes to my head is Rafael Lovato, he is extremely complete and plays every kind of game, but many times struggle against the big names and perhaps that ability to play every game was what made him lose the ADCC final against Rómulo in 2013.

Good point. One name that comes to my head is Rafael Lovato, he is extremely complete and plays every kind of game, but many times struggle against the big names and perhaps that ability to play every game was what made him lose the ADCC final against Rómulo in 2013.

The line between the top guys is so thin, the difference between passing a point of no return in a match is such a small instant, that getting to that point a nanosecond faster is the difference between winning and losing. And the way to get to that point faster than the other guy is to know exactly what you want to do and have practiced it a million times. If you're reacting to your opponent instead of dictating the course of the match you're already losing. The best guys, multiple time world champions, for the most part impose their games on everyone else. The Mendes bros are another great example of that, Rodolfo too.

Define "successful". And also depends on the sport somewhat.

If you're talking about elite, then it's the intersection of physical, genetic attributes and other factors like calm under fire, discipline, toughness, etc. Occasionally, you get that rare bird that is not physically gifted but becomes elite or the one who is gifted, but has bad habits and succeeds in spite of them (Bones comes to mind, according to his recent interviews).

Most other factors have been mentioned, but another is simple life circumstances. Being identified, having the resources, drama (family/neighborhood issues), etc. Sometimes, you can be the hardest working, most disciplined and still miss out. I remember my childhood friend who was groomed to be a top level tennis player from age 4. Parents got nasty divorce at age 12 and it basically derailed his whole life and did not recover for a long time, long enough to lose his edge. Then you got those kids who are just naturals, late bloomers. I have seen parents who drive their kids in one direction their whole life, only to see that once they reach puberty and beyond, other kids overtake and their dreams are dashed - years and years of work, all that time wasted. So many external factors.

Define "successful". And also depends on the sport somewhat.

If you're talking about elite, then it's the intersection of physical, genetic attributes and other factors like calm under fire, discipline, toughness, etc. Occasionally, you get that rare bird that is not physically gifted but becomes elite or the one who is gifted, but has bad habits and succeeds in spite of them (Bones comes to mind, according to his recent interviews).

Most other factors have been mentioned, but another is simple life circumstances. Being identified, having the resources, drama (family/neighborhood issues), etc. Sometimes, you can be the hardest working, most disciplined and still miss out. I remember my childhood friend who was groomed to be a top level tennis player from age 4. Parents got nasty divorce at age 12 and it basically derailed his whole life and did not recover for a long time, long enough to lose his edge. Then you got those kids who are just naturals, late bloomers. I have seen parents who drive their kids in one direction their whole life, only to see that once they reach puberty and beyond, other kids overtake and their dreams are dashed - years and years of work, all that time wasted. So many external factors.

Bones is who I was thinking of in terms of that very rare instance where someone is so talented that they can be elite without doing everything right (though he has always had great coaches and training partners). But look at that family: two brothers in the NFL and the UFC GOAT? That's just hitting the genetic billion $$$ powerball. And he still almost lost to Gus. It's hard at the top.

Colin Cowherd said this and it's true. There's occasionally a genetic freak like a Lebron or a whiz kid genius. But the most common factor is drive/obsession, then talent

There have been a bunch of guys with Jordan's and Kobe's talent and bodies. Same with Jerry Rice. But Jordan was Jordan because he was cut from the JV basketball team. Kobe apparently had a chip on his shoulder. Aron Rodgers, Brees, Eli, and Brady all have chips on their shoulder.

Now do you need talent after a certain point.. yes. But the most common denominator is obsession/drive/mindset it's not really debatable. Especially when talking about the greatest of the greats and the elite

The most important is to compete.
I do not worry about dedication, physical beast, talent, good or bad coach or big team name etc...

It is by competing that you can improve as a competitor.

athlete must combine a multitude of factors such as talent, good teammates (both in terms of camraderie as well as good rolling), good coach, physical training, dedication, etc etc. However, which one of these you think it is the most important?

In my opinion, one of the most important attributes is having the right mindset and being prepared and strong mentally.

This is like asking "which ingredient is the best for a delicious meal?"

There is no right answer, ever. Each chef figures out his or her own combination of ingredients and skills they use to make delicious meals. No one way is better than the other.

Back