What kind of mat to get?

oleDirtyBast4rd

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
A buddy and I are looking to do some bjj together mainly as a workout. The space we have available is a grassy area in his backyard. I'm looking for suggestions on type of mat or even other alternatives. Directly on the grass is a no go obviously.

My preliminary search at mats shocked me at how much they can run. Is there a reason I should pay this much? Hook up a fellow sherbro with some inside info:)

tarpaulin plastic cover sheet

Can't say I haven't considered this. I'm worried it would get all bunched up tho, especially when "hipping out". Have you tried it this way? Would some stakes by sufficient in holding it down?

Can't say I haven't considered this. I'm worried it would get all bunched up tho, especially when "hipping out". Have you tried it this way? Would some stakes by sufficient in holding it down?

Yep just out out stakes at each end and problem solved.

A buddy and I are looking to do some bjj together mainly as a workout. The space we have available is a grassy area in his backyard. I'm looking for suggestions on type of mat or even other alternatives. Directly on the grass is a no go obviously.

My preliminary search at mats shocked me at how much they can run. Is there a reason I should pay this much? Hook up a fellow sherbro with some inside info:)

Best bet is to look on craigslist for old highschool wrestling mats. Sometimes you can find some good deals. Also calling up high schools or colleges and see if they want to get rid of old mats that they have laying around collecting dust.

Buying mats outright, brand new is ridiculously expensive though.

Back