What kind of home will $500,000 buy you in your area?

So people who own homes, even in a relative ghetto, could sell it for ~1mil, move to a cheaper market, and live an upper middle class life?
people here will sell their expensive houses in the southbay and long beach ghettos then move to the cheaper inland empire cities like perris, mira loma,Redlands etc,sometimes they go to nevada.

I wanted to see what kind of house half a million dollars will buy in the area where you live? I'm curious to see if you think that price will buy you a modest middle class home or something much bigger.

No need to list the exact town but a general area would suffice. I'll start by posting a few homes in my town which is a suburb roughly 30 miles west of Chicago. It doesn't have to be exact but around 500K will do.

So if you can, post a photo and the listing price. You can get it off of redfin or any other real estate site.
Plus I just like looking at real estate

Listed at $524,000

genMid.09914824_H.jpg

Listed at $500,000

genMid.09918747_0.jpg

Listed at $509,000

genMid.09922714_1.jpg
TS: I’m afraid of running into a fellow Sherdogger at Jewel now. I started to do a search and came up with some of these same pics before I realized we live in the same area.

I know we are just asking real estate, but taxes are also huge. I used to live in Cincinnati and I’m paying 4-5x in taxes now 40 miles west of Chicago. It’s 35% of my mortgage. Crazy. Public schools are great though.

Ha ha. You’ll be lucky to get an appartment round here for 500k USD. John Fucking Lennon used to live round the corner, now it’s all Chelsea footballers and pop stars.

My house is just over 1000sq ft, with no garage or parking space, and you’d need to pay north of $850k to buy it from me.

$500,000 in my area gets you a 1-2 bed apartment, circa 600-700 sq feet.

From what I found 3-6 bed 3-4 bath 3k to 3.5k square feet with a 3 car garage in the suburbs

Bought my home with the wife 360k 4 bed 2.5 bath 2200 square feet with two car garage. Central California is pretty cheap but there’s nothing to do.

"mr.bigglesworth:

A 2,000sqft shack.

Blame China for sending its citizens in droves to swoop up American homes with cash above asking prices. And thank the US gov't for allowing it to take place unabated."

That really needs to be stopped

So your country spends decades imposing free market capitalism on the world and then it sucks when some free market capitalism happens to you?

<[analyzed}>

Last edited:
500k in my area gets you an average house if you don't end up in a bidding war.

This house looks nice and I love that it has a big ass tree out front. Must be nice in the autumn.
Though the house to the left looks like it's too close. Back yard doesn't look very big either or fenced in.
Needs a better garden too :hmph

on the search i made $500,000 my max and no houses came up. So had to go down to $400,000 and there's a couple.
This one is the only "okay" one lol. agh hate all the houses in this ugly ass town tbh
wm_full.jpg

Like look how squished it is between those other houses.
Stupid ass towns and their small ass yards. HATE.

I decided to look in the valley area of Nova Scotia because that's better lol.
This came up. I can dig it.
1-24-Acadia-1000x641.jpg

I could stand up from the bath and flash my bobs @ some people
Needs a prettier toilet tho
20-MBed-Ensuite-4-pc-1000x667.jpg

Another house that I like
1-201721309.jpg

29-Deck.jpg

30-Pool-Area.jpg

This house is okay and under $400,000
201721246.jpg

28-Back-of-Home.png

I had to look up Grande Cache too. The highest priced houses it has is in the $300,000 range
Like opie I also enjoy looking at houses lol.

Lots of yard. Mountain view.
wm_large.jpg

But like, the attic has Sinister movie vibes lol.
wm_large.jpg

All the houses suck here apparently lol

In the city itself, it gets you a pretty nice townhouse, luxury condo, or a pretty average single family house.

ISqt77akwl0kk00000000000.jpg

ISivr9sryc9gt40000000000.jpg

ISukr3vov82l280000000000.jpg

If you go out to the burbs, you should get a bit bigger house, maybe with some more land, maybe waterfront (albeit probably artificial).

ISy3dwzo9onje50000000000.jpg

ISm28q6nla4qff0000000000.jpg

IS2rdvqjysu8n50000000000.jpg

You can buy two really nice homes for that price in upstate ny.

on the search i made $500,000 my max and no houses came up. So had to go down to $400,000 and there's a couple.

1-24-Acadia-1000x641.jpg

Don't they get any snow there? That roof design seems like it would cause problems.

The big thing pushing up real estate prices here is the Realtors who talk builders into building the high end houses because 6% of an expensive home is much more than 6% of an 80K home. The Realtors have a Parade of Homes tour to get people looking at and wanting these expensive homes.

They have trouble selling them because there isn't a large pool of locals that can afford them. It's interesting to see the history of houses. Many are built new and sit empty for a few years until the builder decides they have to sell it at little profit or a loss. Then someone owns it for a few years and it sells again for $30K less. A few years later, it's sold for even less. Of course Realtors make money every time the property is sold. Nobody sells their lower cost homes. They often get transferred or sold to family members with no realtors involved.

There are very few jobs that pay enough to afford a house that costs more than $200K. A couple that both work buy a new house and don't realize that the furnishings for that big house are going to cost a lot. Taxes and utilities are also much higher than they are used to paying. When they decide to have children, either one of them has to stop working or they have to pay for child care. Many find that they can't afford the house. A divorce pretty much assures that the house will have to be sold as it can't be paid for with one income. The same applies if one person loses a job. Retirees from bigger cities also buy these houses then decide they want to travel or live closer to their children and don't want to have to have someone take care of their house while they're away. In short, the people that can afford the high end homes often don't want them.

The 1 bedroom apartment that me an my wife are renting is listed for sale at (USD equivalent) $670k.
This is Singapore, in a nice neighborhood but not in the city area.
$500k would get you a studio in the same area.

ISe8vhhpl5yutv1000000000.jpg

ISybzujv614lw50000000000.jpg

A couple from Zillow

A 500k house is definitely middle class though. Upper middle maybe, but still middle class. You don't need to be wealthy to afford that unless you have a different definition of wealthy then most people.
Lol @ your definition of wealthy

Well, tbh nothing really good.

11008830.jpg

Back