What It Would Take For Rock To Return | Page 2

Discussion in 'Music Discussion (BAM'S Bieberverse)' started by Blackjack, Dec 30, 2017.

1. Crimson Glory TMMAC

Crimson Glory
    Whether you like it or not, thats the way its gone. With new technology comes change. Music is more accessible than ever to those who look for it and there are still tons of bands out there, theyre not on the radio as much, not here. But Im going to stress that music like any consumer item goes through peaks and valleys. Do you still hear blues, swing, jazz etc on mainstream radio? Does music television even still exist now after YouTube came along? Do people still listen to vinyl in the numbers they used to?

Best thing that can happen is for the music industry to get turned on its head and for labels to go under imo. Some bands are already using their own recording studios and getting their own music out there on their own rather than getting raped or pressured to change by these companies for the masses. Im sure youve heard the stories of bands like Rush getting pressured to become more commercial.

You may not be aware of all the great artists that are out there today, you arent putting in the time to find them. Just because they arent as accessible as turning on your radio as they were back in the 2000s and before doesnt mean its dead.

Heres a question, why is it that only Rock is experiencing this and not RnB or Hip Hop? They still seem to be making money. Is it entirely to do with the way music consumption has gone or is it more to do with how the trends have gone?

Also Rock n Roll didnt conpletely die after file sharing happened. Guaranteed people were file sharing more than just Rock music.

Ive heard many artists nowadays say they dont make money through music sales but ticket sales, merch and royalties. Spotify pays through the amount of plays a band gets, so that comes down to who likes you. I use Spotify like crazy and only use it for artists I really like, most of them Metal or Rock.

I still think youre failing to see that Rock/Metal music has just gone underground like so many old genres. Rap will do the same eventuallly.

There are still TONS of Metal bands out there. You just have to look for them. And the internet has actually made it easier to consume music and learn about its history aswell as get it out there and modern tech means you dont have to get a contract to record it like you used to.

Luminosity likes this.
  2. Blackjack Black Belt

Blackjack
    Regarding your question as to why rock seems to be harder hit by the internet and the piracy it enables, probably the best answer I found was in an interview with Paul O'Neill that I read a few years ago. Paul O'Neill passed away recently but for those who don't know who he was, he was the founder of The Trans -Siberian orchestra and before that the producer of Tampa Bay metal legends Savatage as well as their co-writer. In fact, the guitarists in TSO were the former Savatage guitarists and bass player. Savatage vocalist Jon Oliva has been the co-writer for TSO's music along with O'Neill since its inception.

He was asked about the situation with rock music and why we haven't seen anyone who has made their debut in the past 15 years or so become successful enough that they would be considered rock stars. O'Neill talked about how the vast majority of what had been the major record labels in the 20th century going bankrupt. There are just a few of those labels still in existence and the money that was there in the 60's through the 90s just isn't there anymore. That's no surprise considering record stores have all but disappeared, even the once mighty Tower Records.

So, what happened to rock bands as a result is the money that used to be here for what was termed "artist development" just isn't there anymore. O'Neill stated he was lucky as The Trans Siberian Orchestra was one of the last, or possibly the last rock acts to have a major label spending considerable money on them for artist development. That contributed to TSO becoming one of the top ten highest grossing touring acts in all of music for most of the last ten years.

When asked just how vital artist development was, O'Neill put it this way: Lots of tremendously successful rock bands took quite a while to reach stardom or even make money! he cited Queen and Pink Floyd as two bands who didn't have a successful album until their sixth or seventh release. O'Neill stated that would never happen these days. Pink Floyd, Queen, Rush and countless other rock legends would very possibly never have been heard from again after their first two albums flopped if the music business in their era had been in the condition it is in today.

O'Neill explained that today a artist or band has to be profitable by their second album or they would dropped by the label and lose the benefits of having a deal such as the publicity the labels endured their artists received through marketing, advertising, tour support, music videos, all of which are highly expensive as well as hiring a big name producer and buying recording time in a high quality recording studio.

3. Crimson Glory TMMAC

Crimson Glory
    Interesting input.

Savatage is a fantastic band and I enjoy a bit of TSO.

Bottom line though is, you cant stop progress. Everything that came with the internet, good and bad, isnt going to stop.

Those that have a real passion for it will continue and there will always be kids who crave it.

Its only been less than two decades since "The death of Rock" whos to say what will happen another 20 years from now?

Blackjack likes this.
  4. Cygnus A Purple Belt

Cygnus A
    I think you and many others are missing something. There are so many new bands out there it is impossible for any to stand out. There is amazing music being pumped out now that just gets lost in the noise. The radio has been an awful place to discover music for decades ,so you need to rely on word of mouth or stumbling onto it through other means. I've moved from torrenting music heavily to just using spotify since it lets me find new music I wouldn't have otherwise found.

Ii would take an unknown disruption for a new band to break through and become mega stars at this point. I'm not even sure it is possible.

Crimson Glory likes this.
  5. Cygnus A Purple Belt

Cygnus A
    This makes a lot of sense as well. I just finished watching the history of Iron Maiden documentary. Those guys toured relentlessly for nearly a decade before breaking through. Everyone in the band was replaced at some point (multiple times even) except the bassist. the interviewed the record execs who backed them and fronted tons of cash for world tours to expand their base since their music didn't really translate well to radio play.

6. Lucifer Alpha The Catastrophe

Lucifer Alpha
    Men to be men.

Nameless Ghoul likes this.